Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Signature Hard Case

Rabs

21 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

The internet has done that to us.  The keyboard has made us brave. 

Your exactly right.  And we did it to ourselves by creating Tik Tok, Twitter ect. Now every one with access to a phone (which is pretty much anyone over the age of 7) has a way to express whatever want. People take time out of their lives to come up with performances to do on Tik Tok to gain some sort of notoriety. Once I saw my wife looking a Tik Tok video, and it was about what the lady bought at he Dollar Store that day.  WTF?

41 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

A sister came over the other day and said, "I like your cabinet" and my mother goes, "That's not a cabinet."

Nope, it was a stack of Firebird cases.  They are kind of large.

They are huge

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your exactly right.  And we did it to ourselves by creating Tik Tok, Twitter ect. Now every one with access to a phone (which is pretty much anyone over the age of 7) has a way to express whatever want. People take time out of their lives to come up with performances to do on Tik Tok to gain some sort of notoriety. Once I saw my wife looking a Tik Tok video, and it was about what the lady bought at he Dollar Store that day.  WTF?

Yea, it's crazy.  I deactivated my FB account awhile back.  This is the only social media I belong to.  Who needs FB ? Some of you guys are annoying enough 🤣🤣

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Karloff said:

Who needs FB ? Some of you guys are annoying enough 🤣🤣

F B is just the political nut job place to post. I never did Farce Book. Isn't there some dumb Farm game on F B people were all into?

I once again am guilty as charged.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

F B is just the political nut job place to post. I never did Farce Book. Isn't there some dumb Farm game on F B people were all into?

I once again am guilty as charged.

yea, the bassist in my band does that FB Farm game thing, or candy crush or whatever it is. he'll sit at a table during break playing it on his phone ... to each his own. I don't miss it at all. 

I grew uneasy when they took liquor and cigarette ads off TV.  More uneasy when we started seeing lawyer ads on TV.   We have one here who advertises hourly.  Ostentatious ads with him being chauffeured in a limo to a private jet.  And self-gratuitously thanking himself for "Thirty Years of Service".    As if he wore a uniform.   BUT NOW - we have ads on TV for Computer Games !!!  I think Candy Crush is one.   I appreciate there are people who are addicted to electronic devices and computer games. It seems to start younger and younger.   Seems like a drug to some - stealing their lives away, one hour at a time.  They could be playing the guitar !!!

6 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

The internet has done that to us.  The keyboard has made us brave. 

aint that the truth

common decency and civility has suffered greatly from the development of something that was supposed to bring people together

go figure..

• Like 1

I disagree that there are computer games that are multiplayer that I enjoy playing with friends. Actual friends that I can visit in person from time to time. I like it that I can even meet up with them in a game online when I can’t visit. Things like this I say take in the good with the bad. Internet is the same thing. Guns, cars… life etc. one chooses to be a troll and spread crap online. But I have never had it easier to pay my bills, manage my finances, learn about things that interest me, have a conversation here… good with the bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I disagree that there are computer games that are multiplayer that I enjoy playing with friends. Actual friends that I can visit in person from time to time. I like it that I can even meet up with them in a game online when I can’t visit. Things like this I say take in the good with the bad. Internet is the same thing. Guns, cars… life etc. one chooses to be a troll and spread crap online. But I have never had it easier to pay my bills, manage my finances, learn about things that interest me, have a conversation here… good with the bad. 

All of that is true,  

the problem does not lie within the benefits of tech.

the problem is "people" based.

lets face it

some people are just a-- holes, and IME, they actually like being a--holes

these are people I stay the hell away from

Funny thing about FB. The ex-carers group I belong to use it. and eventually I joined to catch up with them (note: we limit visibility of posts to friends).

A couple of times I've made a movie with original songs which takes ages to write, shoot, record, master etc. and paste it on FB. The next day one of them (usually Christine) posts up a picture of a jigsaw puzzle she has completed and gets more 'likes' than me. 

Story of my life in microcosm there.

• Like 1

@kidblast

Yes, the problem with tech is "people-based" for sure.  It's actually amazing that things work the way they do and how fast it happened. 

I'm a computer guy so I spend a good amount of time learning a bit about technology and such.  It's my job to function as a software/electrical engineer.  Not sure of your familiarity with the field I work in, but embedded engineering I like to call it - i.e., working on embedded systems (devices with software/programmable features and such).  I've worked for big companies that service the OEMs (Ford, GM, FCA, etc.) for quite a while now.  I don't work in the auto industry anymore as I moved into R&D in an industry that supports military/law enforcement (and even consumers to some extent).  Glad I got out of automotive!  As well, glad I made a shift in the industry I now support.  A lot more interesting than making vehicle modules for OEMs.  And, a lot less demanding. 

So that's my background, I try to be sensible about how this "stuff" affects my life - because I know what life was like in its absence too, something previous generations have to grasp what it is they actually "have" (grateful perhaps to some extent...).  My kids get upset with a commercial on YT they can SKIP after 5s or so.  I remember having to be somewhere at some time (inflexible) to catch a show, etc. and you had to be subjected to ads - like it or not.  You wanted to watch, you're getting commercials too.  Whatever...  They came into the world with this stuff, they know nothing else.  Maybe bad analogy, but like an animal born and raised in captivity - i.e., they know no other way.  Important to teach them the way I look at it.  Some adults need education too, haha!  Hey, I'm no angel, nor do I want to tell others how to live to my standards.  I just hope I don't cause others pain and grief.  Not saying I take others' crap, but I won't go out picking fights - common flippin' sense again. 

9 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Put Christine on BLOCK for a few weeks if she's a re-occurring nuissance. Sometimes such folks get tired after a while and join other groups.

Oh no! I've known Christine and the other ex-carers for more than 20 years. We meet for lunch every month and take a Xmas break together every year. We mostly use FB to coordinate. 

6 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@kidblast

Yes, the problem with tech is "people-based" for sure.  It's actually amazing that things work the way they do and how fast it happened. 

I'm a computer guy so I spend a good amount of time learning a bit about technology and such.  It's my job to function as a software/electrical engineer.  Not sure of your familiarity with the field I work in, but embedded engineering I like to call it - i.e., working on embedded systems (devices with software/programmable features and such).  I've worked for big companies that service the OEMs (Ford, GM, FCA, etc.) for quite a while now.  I don't work in the auto industry anymore as I moved into R&D in an industry that supports military/law enforcement (and even consumers to some extent).  Glad I got out of automotive!  As well, glad I made a shift in the industry I now support.  A lot more interesting than making vehicle modules for OEMs.  And, a lot less demanding. 

So that's my background, I try to be sensible about how this "stuff" affects my life - because I know what life was like in its absence too, something previous generations have to grasp what it is they actually "have" (grateful perhaps to some extent...).  My kids get upset with a commercial on YT they can SKIP after 5s or so.  I remember having to be somewhere at some time (inflexible) to catch a show, etc. and you had to be subjected to ads - like it or not.  You wanted to watch, you're getting commercials too.  Whatever...  They came into the world with this stuff, they know nothing else.  Maybe bad analogy, but like an animal born and raised in captivity - i.e., they know no other way.  Important to teach them the way I look at it.  Some adults need education too, haha!  Hey, I'm no angel, nor do I want to tell others how to live to my standards.  I just hope I don't cause others pain and grief.  Not saying I take others' crap, but I won't go out picking fights - common flippin' sense again. 

I've been in IT support, in one capacity or another since 1977

started out working as a data control clerk, moved to operations, and eventually system administration running Main Frames on prem datacenters, over to virtualization when that was the rage, right up to what's happening today w/cloud based infrastructures running in AWS and AZURE clouds, and literally everything in between. 

If it was part of what an IT organization would be running and maintaining, I've probably seen it or definitely something like it.

Not so much doing the specialized engineering you do, but instead maintaining the services and platforms you'd be using to store your code, run tests and pipelines to deploy new versions, via release management streams ... and all that kind of stuff.   

For every good thing these things do, there's something to balance it that aint so good.

and I'm old enough to remember being one of the first families on our street to have a colored TV,   replacing the small black and white ones that worked via Rabbit Ears and UHF Atenas.

I even remember where I was when JFK was shot.  Out side in the yard playing kickball.  Our moms made us all come in the house.  Like?  Why??

@kidblast yeah working in IT has its challenges I’d imagine. At my work, they have to make sure we are locking down stuff because the stuff we work on is restricted by things like ITAR. I sure wouldn’t want to have that responsibility - scare me something nasty. Our machines are so locked down we can’t even change desktop icons without putting in a ticket. They also maintain the usual datacenter where we store our code repos and such. Yet another thing that would scare me to have that responsibility. Wouldn’t want to be the guy who screws up all the engineering storage for the projects and such… so hats off to you, hope it’s something you enjoy.

But anyhow 3 day weekend coming up here. Hope you have a great weekend and not working. If you are then I’m sorry haha! Hopefully you get the time off another way.

That is why I stay here. From guitar cases to IT issues in nothing flat. I think I had a thread from before I got banned called Post WTF You Want. It did't last long. Cause we can never stay on track, so I though one thread is all we really need.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@kidblast yeah working in IT has its challenges I’d imagine. At my work, they have to make sure we are locking down stuff because the stuff we work on is restricted by things like ITAR. I sure wouldn’t want to have that responsibility - scare me something nasty. Our machines are so locked down we can’t even change desktop icons without putting in a ticket. They also maintain the usual datacenter where we store our code repos and such. Yet another thing that would scare me to have that responsibility. Wouldn’t want to be the guy who screws up all the engineering storage for the projects and such… so hats off to you, hope it’s something you enjoy.

But anyhow 3 day weekend coming up here. Hope you have a great weekend and not working. If you are then I’m sorry haha! Hopefully you get the time off another way.

You're right, it can be a tedious task.  The servers are usually pretty stable, so as long as we don't "F" up, things usually stay on course.

The worst part is the 2am onc all parties and last minute "What the hell is going on" incidents that almost always happen on a Friday afternoon before a holiday.  We try to tell people, "Don't change **** on fridays!!! "  do they listen?  Nope!

But on the bright side, they pay me well and if it wasn't for problems like that, they'd not need guys like me.

have a good weekend Chris!  

• Thanks 1