Gibson Brands Forums

Computer Games How far we have come

Rabs

I dont know if we have many gamers on here so if anyone will be interested but I saw something today that really shocked me....  

I have been playing games since I was about 8 and was even in the games industry for about 15 years..  I have experience. And yet while I have watched graphics get better over the years I wasnt quite ready for this...

So this is what a first person shooter looked like when I started playing PC games

Today this is what we have..  Its from a new PC game coming called  Unrecord..  Just holy sh*t..  Wow

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

I'm sure it looks even more impressive on a large HD screen too. My son is into gaming. I've seen a couple of his PS 5 games and they look and sound unbelievable. One his older PS4 I tried out his total immersion virtual reality kit. That can become truly scary.

As for me, once in a blue moon I indulge in a bit of retro gaming. Old Amiga stuff. I loved the Amiga computers. I understood them and I was in control. 

Man.   I never went beyond "Burgertime" on the old Intellevision II.  [wink]   And wasn't really all that good at it.

I thought some of those home gaming games are good for an occasional diversion.  But It bothers me that so many have spent so much time and money in the playing of them.  Often to the detriment of their ability to truly and reasonably socialize with their fellow man.  Plus so many young and still developing brains and minds spending so much time with the games that have overwhelming violent content disturbs me too. 

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Man.   I never went beyond "Burgertime" on the old Intellevision II.  [wink]   And wasn't really all that good at it.

I thought some of those home gaming games are good for an occasional diversion.  But It bothers me that so many have spent so much time and money in the playing of them.  Often to the detriment of their ability to truly and reasonably socialize with their fellow man.  Plus so many young and still developing brains and minds spending so much time with the games that have overwhelming violent content disturbs me too. 

Whitefang

Yep.  Sort of like a 21st Century version of "Bread and Circuses".   Gladiators, Lions, etc. in the Colosseum.  

• Like 1

I was raised in a family of legal, responsible, and "Safety First" firearms owners; 5 plus generations of family that understood the immense individual onus that accompanied our "God given Right", as US Citizens, to keep and bear arms. My forefathers used their firearms to feed their families, defend their families when needed, and defend our Nation when called upon by our government to do so. 

Because I was a career oriented individual, I spent too much time working for my family to ever play "video games". Yet, a few years ago, my nephew, who knew of my firearms expertise, began a conversation with me at a family gathering about "firearms". He was my brother-in-law's son, and I knew their side of the family were not gun owners. He had heard that I owned a particular rifle, and he excitedly began to tell me all about his "detailed" knowledge of said rifle. He rattled on about it's caliber, it's performance characteristics, how it could be "field stripped"/broken down, etc.. He was quite sure that he knew everything about this rifle. I asked him how he had acquired all of this knowledge. He proudly proclaimed that a video game he played had said rifle in it's arsenal, and he had earned enough "points" to get it. He even showed me the rifle in the game, and extolled the coolness of how he could take it apart, just like the real one. I knew he was just trying to relate to me using our common experiences and interests, which was commendable. (and I literally commended him for this "grown-up" conversation starter method). But the next 15 minutes of our "conversation" simultaneously crushed his misguided perception of reality and taught him a lesson about blind faith in digital entertainment.

Not one thing he had explained to me about this particular rifle was accurate. The real rifle did not disassemble like his game told him. The magazines in the game held far more rounds than those in reality. The basic operations of the firearm in the game were not even similar to the real rifle. The ballistic properties of the game rifle were not even close to any real firearm, let alone the rifle it was supposed to represent. With each sentence I spoke,  his excitement diminished until he appeared broken. Almost out of desperation, he half heartedly claimed that I was wrong, still clinging to the fading belief that his game had to be right. Obviously I did not want to emotionally hurt this young man who was simply trying to engage in an adult conversation with his Uncle, and I told him exactly that. I also told him that I really wanted his game to provide an accurate description of said rifle, but sadly it didn't. But, with a smile, I said, "If your mom doesn't mind, would you like to see the real rifle, and how it really disassembles and functions?" Needless to say, he said, yes, mom said yes, and after teaching him the 4 rules of gun safety, he got to see, touch, manipulate, and break down the real rife, (unloaded, and twice verified as such.).  

How does this related to the video games (first person shooter, firearms related type game), referred to in this post? 1. Not one of these games provides a initial, mandatory firearms safety tutorial, or a link to a verified firearms safety class. 2. Not one of these games  provides a list of the 4, basic firearm safety rules needed to insure safe handling of firearms. 3. Not one of these games provides accurate and descriptive information about different types of firearms, their "actions" and operations, and/or how firearms actually function. 4. Not one of these games accurately portrays the true functionality of the myriad of arms available to users. In fact, said in game firearm functionality is specifically detailed incorrectly without detailed warnings to users regarding these inaccuracies.

My nephew was dead sure that his game was unequivocally accurate, and I assume nearly all novice game players, with little to no firearms training, assumed the same. It appears that these "first person shooter" games only educate the players about three things; Point, (not AIM), push a button to shoot, and kill. Killing is easy, good, and the more you kill, the more points you get.

The Four Rules

1. Every gun is loaded/Treat every gun as if it is loaded

2. Always keep a firearm pointed in a safe direction/ Never point your firearm at anything you don't want to destroy

3. Never touch the trigger of a firearm until it is pointed at your intended target, and then only when it is safe/appropriate to discharge your firearm at said target/Never touch the trigger of a firearm until you are prepared to destroy what it is pointed at     

4. Know your target and what is beyond and around and or near it/Never touch the trigger of a firearm until you are absolutely sure of your intended target AND that there is nothing behind it you do not want to destroy AND that there is nothing close to either side of it that you don't want to destroy. 

Not a single individual should ever touch or be allow to be near/have access to a firearm without knowing these rules, being able to recite these rules, and treating these rules as absolute gospel/inviolate. PERIOD! Additionally, these rules are NOT the entirety of firearm safety/education. They are simply the basics required to prevent negligence, (preventable death or injury). If you can't afford a firearms safety class, contact your local gun dealer/store or target range and you will be provided with no cost firearms safety educational opportunities. (I personally provide this type of training/education, at no cost, for legal gun owners who otherwise cannot afford it.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Sheepdog - THAT said it all.   Thank you for sharing it.   People who have never had the opportunity/desire to fire a gun never realize the bullet thingys usually go through the paper target, glass window, sheetrock, door,  etc.   Hollywood, like computer gaming, is part of the Entertainment Industry - and they religiously break every single one of those Four Laws of Gun Safety.   So, sadly, for many-  MOVIES are the source of their  'training'.  Ironically - there are several 'movie starts' who are rabidly anti-gun, but have made millions in movies where they carry one. Or two or three....      Resulting in things like yesterday - in the news - a video of a gunfight on a Charlotte city bus - between the driver and a passenger.   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Sheepdog - THAT said it all.   Thank you for sharing it.   People who have never had the opportunity/desire to fire a gun never realize the bullet thingys usually go through the paper target, glass window, sheetrock, door,  etc.   Hollywood, like computer gaming, is part of the Entertainment Industry - and they religiously break every single one of those Four Laws of Gun Safety.   So, sadly, for many-  MOVIES are the source of their  'training'.  Ironically - there are several 'movie starts' who are rabidly anti-gun, but have made millions in movies where they carry one. Or two or three....      Resulting in things like yesterday - in the news - a video of a gunfight on a Charlotte city bus - between the driver and a passenger.   

Thanks! I hate to sound "preachy", but rarely does anyone just spell it out. As a legal gun owner, I am sick of being judged by the unlawful actions by "prohibited persons" who are responsible for 99%+ of gun crimes. Note that even the NIJ gun stats fail to differentiate illegal uses of firearms by "prohibited person" vs. criminal firearm use by legal gun owners. 

My dad used to have an old .38 special he got from his uncle. His uncle was a bus driver in Chicago in the 40s-50s and used that pistol to shoot two separate people while he was driving the bus. 

Believe it or not sometimes some unsavory people use the bus and attack the driver. Bus drivers often feel they are in a vulnerable position and will sometimes carry a weapon for protection. 

I think it’s dangerous to blame gun violence on movies or videogames. As a 2A advocate, think about how uneducated people sound when they blame mass shootings on a certain rifle. You don’t need to do the opposite just stick to the facts 

I listen to some of my friends talk about interactive computer gaming (wearing headsets at their home computer, and walking thru zombie houses with their buddies and racking up enormous body counts).  It's another world, I tell you.
One that I'm not a part of, by some grand design.

I have never played a computer game, video game, or arcade game in my life.

It all stemmed from whenever I would play a pinball machine in the late 1960's and early 1970's.
I sucked at pinball.
I was no pinball wizard to be sure.

Later on, when guys would play (at the bars in and near our military bases) Pac Man, Tetris, Frogger, (Space Invaders?) and games like that, I would always decline.
Years later, when everybody else had home computers, I chose not to have one.
And when they would invite me to play some sort of computer game with them, I would decline.

I had been embarrassed enough when I was younger over pinball.
I was not going to open up a whole new world of embarrassment for myself.

When I finally got my first home computer in 2003, it was for job searches, home finances, work, and eventually, guitar web forums. But no games, ever.
Not even solitaire.

Now, at age almost 64, I am content that computer gaming and video gaming is something that I was never meant to engage in.
And life is plenty rich and busy without it, trust me.

Do I have any sort of negative opinion of computer gaming, and gamers in general?
No, not at all.

I love it when people get to do things that they enjoy, and that bring them pleasure.

It's just not my thing is all.
🤔

6 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

My dad used to have an old .38 special he got from his uncle. His uncle was a bus driver in Chicago in the 40s-50s and used that pistol to shoot two separate people while he was driving the bus. 

Believe it or not sometimes some unsavory people use the bus and attack the driver. Bus drivers often feel they are in a vulnerable position and will sometimes carry a weapon for protection. 

I think it’s dangerous to blame gun violence on movies or videogames. As a 2A advocate, think about how uneducated people sound when they blame mass shootings on a certain rifle. You don’t need to do the opposite just stick to the facts 

Agree to disagree.  Countless studies have found movies do affect some people’s behavior.   Of course, TV advertising must or there wouldn’t be any.!    

The main reason I posted this is not because of the violence, that just happened to be what that game was about. It was more about just how incredible those graphics look. We are like a step away from full photo realism..  And not that I expect many people to get this but doing all that detail and lighting and physics in real time is pretty amazing.

As for games and violence..  A lot of games are not violent at all and actually help with things like eye/hand coordination. Games are meant to be entertainment like a film.. And like a film you can choose to watch a violent film or not, you also choose to play that sort of game.. Or not. No one is being forced to play anything 🙂 

If there are people who somehow think those games have anything to do with real life (however detailed they are).. Well id say they probably have other issues which have nothing to do with computer games.

People getting addicted to them. Well we are human, it happens.. Its more than likely in a lot of cases that someone who actually develops an issue with that has an addictive personality, and if it wasnt the game it would just be something else.

How about this.. And this is a year old now.. Graphics have only gotten better since

Edited by Rabs
  • Thanks 1

When I moved to Tennessee, my buddy Hoss brought me right over to Cubby's Gun and Pawn and I, real quick lahk, straw purchased a 9mm so I could move in.  Pumped a few rounds into the bank in the ten foot space between the Pawnshop trailer and Cubby's family's trailer, and gave my 200 bucks to Hoss, he handed it over to Cubby and the rest is history.  Now ahm packin', and y'all stay back on over y'own trailer!

Folks

Lets not get into political stances on firearms.... I really don't want to nuke this thread.... And with that please go back and edit your posts. If you don't I will take liberty and do so myself. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah I own a 9mm. Someone breaks into my house, and if they are going to rob me, they will probably have gun with them. 

True.  And I'm tired of constantly telling people that guy probably got his gun by stealing it out of the house of some fool who bought it to "protect" his home and belongings.  And it's probably a defective weapon to begin with as it didn't do what it was intended to when the fool wasn't home to confront the home invader.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang