Gibson Brands Forums

Computer Games How far we have come

Rabs

7 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

If you really  need an explanatuon, you won't understand anyway.

RBSinTo

Again.. Why do you say that?   I have many years experience in the games industry and would like to know why you think that..

Id say if you cant give me an answer its you that doesnt understand...

Most of the negativity around gaming is BS...

• Upvote 1

I think the last game I played (and quite a lot at the time) would have been The Simpsons Hit and Run [scared] - that was many years ago now I guess. I did not replicate those driving tactics in my own car thankfully, though I've found at times if I've driven a go-kart then its been a bit weird getting back in the family truckster in the carpark afterwards - whoa, slow down man!!

5 hours ago, Rabs said:

Again.. Why do you say that?   I have many years experience in the games industry and would like to know why you think that..

Id say if you cant give me an answer its you that doesnt understand...

Most of the negativity around gaming is BS...

I think people can have an opinion without having to defend it.  I worked  twice as long in healthcare administration - if someone wants to have a negative opinion about it  I’m not going to worry about it. It’s too broad and   complex to  argue about in a social media format. Like computer games and guns. And a hundred other things. 

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

I think people can have an opinion without having to defend it.  I worked  twice as long in healthcare administration - if someone wants to have a negative opinion about it  I’m not going to worry about it. It’s too broad and   complex to  argue about in a social media format. Like computer games and guns. And a hundred other things. 

Of course they can.. But this is meant to be a discussion..   

Ive heard all the nonsense slated at video games and most of it is unsubstantiated nonsense...  So I genuinely wanted to know if its just that or he has some other reason...

Whats the point of people just stating an opinion without stating why when asked?  Theres no discussion there and isnt that the point of being on here? Its not a particularly complex subject to be honest.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

True.  And I'm tired of constantly telling people that guy probably got his gun by stealing it out of the house of some fool who bought it to "protect" his home and belongings.  And it's probably a defective weapon to begin with as it didn't do what it was intended to when the fool wasn't home to confront the home invader.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

Did you happen to read Duane’s  polite warning?   Just before yours ?  😀

In 1987 I had a VIC20 and I was hooked on Omega Race. I’d buy an old VIC20 today just to get that game with the old controller (not joystick). 

I have  a box in the attic with a half dozen old NES consoles. I have one set up in my downstairs office and occasionally play Tetris, Dr Mario, or Wrecking Crew. 

That’s the extent of my gaming!

I have played them most of my life.. I stopped for about a decade or so as I just got bored with it, at that point I had been a game designer and could not turn off my analytical side and would just internally critique them while playing and think what I would have done instead..  But sometime late last year I got a Nintendo Switch which I have the odd session but nothing like I used to do.. Even if I wanted too my hands wont take it any more so I just do it on occasion now. 

10 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

In 1987 I had a VIC20 and I was hooked on Omega Race. I’d buy an old VIC20 today just to get that game with the old controller (not joystick). 

I have  a box in the attic with a half dozen old NES consoles. I have one set up in my downstairs office and occasionally play Tetris, Dr Mario, or Wrecking Crew. 

That’s the extent of my gaming!

The thing with racing games is that games mechanics wise they are mostly the same.. Accelerate, break and turn...   I mean there are other types but the basic racing game hasnt changed much in that way..  This is what they look like today. You can also do other things in these games like mod your cars and stuff like that.

13 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Did you happen to read Duane’s  polite warning?   Just before yours ?  😀

Yep.  And if you noticed(which you obviously didn't) I made no politically based comment on the subject.  [cool]

Whitefang

I see nothing at all wrong with video games. As long as it doesn't take over your life. Like anything else, everything in moderation.

I do understand why some people are touchy about certain subjects. When I first joined this forum I made a 'slightly' negative remark about guns. I was virtually lynched. Particularly by one of the nicest fellows on here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

Everything on here tends to move toward stuff having to do with masculinity issues.  Guns, posturing, loud mumbling.  Lots of "Hamma hamma hamma" over top of other people.

Hamma hamma hamma!

It's what men do.  My guitar is bigger than yours. Then I push you off the swing and laugh. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's what men do.  My guitar is bigger than yours. Then I push you off the swing and laugh. 

Fact. 
I was never one to push anyone off the swing though. Literally or figuratively. Not sure why (or why not). It hasn’t gotten me anywhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Fact. 
I was never one to push anyone off the swing though. Literally or figuratively. Not sure why (or why not). It hasn’t gotten me anywhere. 

Most of the people who need to be pushed off,  fall off on their own.   They call it Karma. 

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

Most of the people who need to be pushed off,  fall off on their own.   They call it Karma. 

And then some of those guys start business like Microsoft or Apple and then they laugh a bit louder with a padded bank account in tow.

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2023 at 3:20 PM, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

If you really  need an explanatuon, you won't understand anyway.

RBSinTo

That's usually what people who have no idea what they're talking about typically say.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

That's usually what people who have no idea what they're talking about typically say.  [wink]

Whitefang

This happened to me at work yesterday. It was Woman-splained to me how to install a fluorescent light bulb. Um . . . you know for the last 35 years I've been a maintenance electrician right?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Warning: We are experiencing a temporary logic outage. Normal service will be resumed as soon as we figure out WTF is going on.

We have a thread about a washing machine so anything is possible. Wait, I stand to correct myself that on that one there is 2 Washing Machine Treads.  So two on a guitar forum.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Gaming for me always turn out like all these new shows where I watch 5-10 episodes, take a break and then realize I'd be lost if I returned, so it's usually retro stuff for me if I have the time. It was easier as a kid when you had all the time in the world. 

Generally speaking, which presumably is when you speak like a general, Rockstar Games have been the exception. The GTA games are in a league of their own. 

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This happened to me at work yesterday. It was Woman-splained to me how to install a fluorescent light bulb. Um . . . you know for the last 35 years I've been a maintenance electrician right?

I worked for two years at a place where the kid who replaced the flourescent lights would replace all the bulbs in a fixture when one of them went bad.  It was like a whole year before I told the kid that only one of the bulbs goes bad at a time.  There were like fifty other engineers sitting around watching the kid do this for a year until I talked to him.  Electricals, mechanicals, architects, all posturing around like a bunch of racehorses all day long, while they are unable to help a kid learn how to change a light bulb.  Good thing they had a dumbaxx civil engineer around to deal with the real world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, badbluesplayer said:

I worked for two years at a place where the kid who replaced the flourescent lights would replace all the bulbs in a fixture when one of them went bad.  It was like a whole year before I told the kid that only one of the bulbs goes bad at a time.  There were like fifty other engineers sitting around watching the kid do this for a year until I talked to him.  Electricals, mechanicals, architects, all posturing around like a bunch of racehorses all day long, while they are unable to help a kid learn how to change a light bulb.  Good thing they had a dumbaxx civil engineer around to deal with the real world.

I get that, but what about when a headlight goes out in your car? I always change both at the same time, cause when one goes bad, chances are the other will go bad soon too. Or tubes in your amp? Wait your probably going to say that's different?

• Upvote 1