Gibson Brands Forums

Bummer-CS ‘42 J-45

Gibson29

Do you have a measurement for how much bow there is?  7 thousandths or less is workable, anything above ten becomes a lifelong issue.  Just my experience.  My Luther has a contraption to make these measurements.  My knee jerk reaction is to bring it back to Dave's if that is convenient and have that discussion.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

New J-45 Historic, ‘23, took it home early April, played it all in, took it to my guitar guy, truss rod maxed out, action high, still a bow.  Bought from Dave’s, I’ll take it in and see what they say.  

Can you return it. Once you have work done on it by a tech and you void the warranty.

• Thanks 1

Can be fixed fairly easily but I agree, for a new guitar, send it back.

I had a'54 J50 that was maxed out when I received it. The previous owner had added washers to get more adjustments. I removed the added washers plus the half moon washer which exposed the rod a little more. I ran a #10-32 thread die down as far as I could which added a few threads to the rod. Put the half moon washer back on and everything worked great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Can be fixed fairly easily but I agree, for a new guitar, send it back.

I had a'54 J50 that was maxed out when I received it. The previous owner had added washers to get more adjustments. I removed the added washers plus the half moon washer which exposed the rod a little more. I ran a #10-32 thread die down as far as I could which added a few threads to the rod. Put the half moon washer back on and everything worked great. 

On a guitar that old you gotta do what you gotta do. On a guitar bought this April - return it.

• Thanks 1

So here’s an update, can’t name a place with what some may consider “negative info” and not report back that everything is good.

Everything is good.  Pretty sure anyway, repairman called said “all set”, and I asked about the TR maxed problem, he said he backed it off, drop of oil, all good, works as designed.  My guy didn’t want to attempt that because it may have voided the warranty, plus having to, y’know, force it, and thought it would be best if Dave’s did it, which I appreciate.

Got the guitar (it’s a ‘23) “used”, yet not previously owned apparently, but for maybe a minute, I did register it with Gibson successfully, so had it been a warranty issue, what could I have expected?  Only warranty issues I’ve ever had were on small builder instruments that were taken care of easily.

Edited by Gibson29

14 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

So here’s an update, can’t name a place with what some may consider “negative info” and not report back that everything is good.

Everything is good.  Pretty sure anyway, repairman called said “all set”, and I asked about the TR maxed problem, he said he backed it off, drop of oil, all good, works as designed.  My guy didn’t want to attempt that because it may have voided the warranty, plus having to, y’know, force it, and thought it would be best if Dave’s did it, which I appreciate.

Got the guitar (it’s a ‘23) “used”, yet not previously owned apparently, but for maybe a minute, I did register it with Gibson successfully, so had it been a warranty issue, what could I have expected?  Only warranty issues I’ve ever had were on small builder instruments that were taken care of easily.

I had to do the same thing to my 2020 1942 SJ

• Thanks 1

I do get it that with a new guitar you do not expect to find the issues you often do with vintage instruments so tend to not give them the same kind of going over.   But a badly cupped neck is a red flag shouting Houston, we have a problem.  Given Dave's reputation though I do not get why they ever would have put a guitar suffering from this ailment out on the floor or at least not done what they could to make it right without voiding the warranty from the get-go. 

On another note, a guitar is not considered "used" until it has been sold.  The one you bought may have been demoed a bit more roughly than a store would like to see or perhaps had not sold because of the inky neck relief.  

Edited by zombywoof

22 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I do get it that with a new guitar you do not expect to find the issues you often do with vintage instruments so tend to not give them the same kind of going over.   But a badly cupped neck is a red flag shouting Houston, we have a problem.  Given Dave's reputation though I do not get why they ever would have put a guitar suffering from this ailment out on the floor or at least not done what they could to make it right without voiding the warranty from the get-go. 

On another note, a guitar is not considered "used" until it has been sold.  The one you bought may have been demoed a bit more roughly than a store would like to see or perhaps had not sold because of the inky neck relief.  

Somebody else may have bought it & didn’t want problems & returned it.. Making it a Used Guitar.. Usually No Factory Lifetime Warranty as it was resold.. If that’s the case shame on Dave’s.. 

Just a note on the situation, it was great playing it at the store in early April when I plunked my money down, and remained so, then May came, and with it a bit of a season change.  I felt the action was a bit high past the 4th, there was a bit of relief I felt could be remedied, but not unreasonable, that’s what the TR’s for.  Took it to my guy who removed the cover, found it very tight, and suggested a few things, (1)-backing it off and putting a drop of oil as it’s most likely just be a sticky TR, as he wouldn’t expect a maxed out on a guitar under 60 years.

But, he wasn’t sure if doing that, in the event it WAS maxed out,  would void the warranty, so suggested (2)I take it back to Dave’s, and have them do it.  They did, no charge, it worked out.  He never diagnosed it as maxed-out definitively, it was simply the other reason it would be stuck, unlikely, but a reason nonetheless.

So, at no time did Dave’s offer a sub-standard sales experience or set-up, and I appreciate my luthier for simply being cautious.  

edit: #Larsongs- Dave’s DID NOT SELL IT AS NEW.  I thought I had mentioned that above.  It was a call to Gibson to see if I could  register it for warranty, they said yes.  Whether it is or not I suspect I’ll never have to find out.

Edit once again- I’m the nattering nabob of negativity that was worried I got a lemon and the world would crash into the moon.  

Edited by Gibson29

50 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

edit: #Larsongs- Dave’s DID NOT SELL IT AS NEW.  I thought I had mentioned that above.  It was a call to Gibson to see if I could  register it for warranty, they said yes.  Whether it is or not I suspect I’ll never have to find out.

Why would Gibson let you  register the guitar unless you were the original owner? The first owner is  really the guitar store, cause they paid for it, but they are a middle man, and it’s understood it’s their job to sell it. 

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why would Gibson let you  register the guitar unless you were the original owner? The first owner is  really the guitar store, cause they paid for it, but they are a middle man, and it’s understood it’s their job to sell it. 

I spoke to a rep, he directed me to the online register, so I asked if he could do the same, said yes, so I registered it with him.  Again, whether a claim would be honored, I have no idea and suspect I’ll never have to find out.  Whether me registering it confirms warranty or I was simply entered into Gibson’s wonderful record-keeping system ®  along with woods used in the 40’s and nut widths in that era, no idea.