Gibson Brands Forums

What A Deal On A Collection Of EVH Guitars

Ceptorman

I've said it before - I can't understand why a guitar played by a famous musician commands extra money.  I liked VanHalen's work as much as the next person, but you could spend a million on these guitars and you're not going to sound like Eddie did.

24 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I've said it before - I can't understand why a guitar played by a famous musician commands extra money.  I liked VanHalen's work as much as the next person, but you could spend a million on these guitars and you're not going to sound like Eddie did.

You mean like the Greenie that nobody on the planet can STFU about?  Like that one?  What Kirk thinks of it on Tuesdays, how he changes his opinion a bit on Fridays, and how everyone else who has ever been in the same town as Greenie can't STFU about it too?  Like that?  

LOL!!!

rct

2 hours ago, rct said:

You mean like the Greenie that nobody on the planet can STFU about?  Like that one?  What Kirk thinks of it on Tuesdays, how he changes his opinion a bit on Fridays, and how everyone else who has ever been in the same town as Greenie can't STFU about it too?  Like that?  

LOL!!!

rct

He likes the Epiphone one better now, so you paid I'm sure millions for a broken guitar that other famous guys owned, and now you like one that will go into production for, what, maybe $995? Laughable.

I saw 'Tallica and Kirk played the Greeny. I'll bet he was thinking, (insert foreign country where Epi's are made) can do better than this.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Eddie personally delivered a 1979 yellow/black Strat to his funeral.  He played that guitar quite a bit, it was in an album photo. Eddie wouldn't go to the coffin though, but he did speak at the funeral. Kiss supplied the coffin.

19 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I can't understand why a guitar played by a famous musician commands extra money.  I liked VanHalen's work as much as the next person, but you could spend a million on these guitars and you're not going to sound like Eddie did.

These guitars have impeccable provenance. They're not being bought to be played and/or try to sound like Eddie.

They're investments. And probably pretty damned good ones.

I have a 1933 Gibson mandolin (bought from George Gruhn with provenance) that was owned and played by a bluegrass legend that has gone up 50% in value while the stock market and my mutual fund teeter from quarter to quarter.

In these days of fiat, fake, printed and make believe digital money, some things will never change. Art, precious metals, history and land will continue to increase in value as the money decreases in value.

That's why they call land "REAL estate"...

2 hours ago, Murph said:

These guitars have impeccable provenance. They're not being bought to be played and/or try to sound like Eddie.

They're investments. And probably pretty damned good ones.

I have a 1933 Gibson mandolin (bought from George Gruhn with provenance) that was owned and played by a bluegrass legend that has gone up 50% in value while the stock market and my mutual fund teeter from quarter to quarter.

In these days of fiat, fake, printed and make believe digital money, some things will never change. Art, precious metals, history and land will continue to increase in value as the money decreases in value.

That's why they call land "REAL estate"...

No new dirt is being made on our planet to inhabit? Now I know what real estate is. Thanks. I have learned a ton of new stuff this week.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper