Gibson Brands Forums

What new music did you get?

SteveFord

27 minutes ago, Karloff said:

Howlin Wolf box set

I read Lowell George met Howlin’ Wolf in London, and Lowell was excited, as he just got a new guitar and he asked Howlin’ Wolf to play it. The Wolf told him to F off.

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

my son bought me Pearl Jam's Ten on vinyl late last year (...not sure if that counts as either new music or newly purchased though [laugh]

I still love Release Me from that album. They opened with it when I saw them in ‘92 or 3.

34 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I got the new Beatles “Revolver” Collection.. Also, the recent new Remastered Beach Boys “Sounds of Summer” & “Endless Summer”..

I got the stand alone vinyl version of the new remixed version and the 2 cd set.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got the stand alone vinyl version of the new remixed version and the 2 cd set.

What do you think? I got the CD Collection..

I still have boxes of my old 60’s & 70’s Vinyl Albums.. They haven’t been played in years as my Turntable, Receiver, Speakers & a whole Studio full of Guitars, Amps, Mics, PA, Teac Reel to Reel & other Recording Gear were stolen.. Along with a thousand 1800’s Silver Dollars….

I still don’t know why the Albums weren’t stolen? I want to get a new Turntable and Audio System… 

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

What do you think? I got the CD Collection..

I still have boxes of my old 60’s & 70’s Vinyl Albums.. They haven’t been played in years as my Turntable, Receiver, Speakers & a whole Studio full of Guitars, Amps, Mics, PA, Teac Reel to Reel & other Recording Gear were stolen.. Along with a thousand 1800’s Silver Dollars….

I still don’t know why the Albums weren’t stolen? I want to get a new Turntable and Audio System… 

I think all of the Giles Martin Remix's are better than the original, and I don't even listen to the old mixes. I listened to The White Album yesterday with headphone and you hear so much more. Today about a lot of years ago Sgt. Pepper was released. I listened to the Giles Remix on the way into work.

If you have a ton on vinyl, depending on how  stored it, they may have thought its just to heavy to bother. I keep mine in crates. When I have to move them its a chore. Picking up a pre-amp is nothing, and most people keep guitars in cases and look its got a handle, so grab it an go.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just recently read a guy wanted his money back after seeing Anne Sophie Mutter (might be spelled wrong) because she did not play it exactly the same way as it is on the recording. 

Um . . . in case you didn't know its called interpretation of the work. Its was musicians do.

I get that.  And that guy must be one hell of what my Mom would call a "fussbudget" as I have three other recordings of the 5th( Cliburn, Alexis Weisberg,  Caudio Arrau,  ) and each have differences so subtle that if and when one might notice them it turns out to be no big deal. 

I know I didn't specify beyond referring to Beethoven's 5th concerto(the "Emperor" ) .  The "Emperor" of course, being his 5th piano concerto.  For that I apologize.  Also, Beethoven only compose one violin concerto.  I've heard violinist Midori perform it with the DSO.  It's really a beautiful work of music.  But then of course, it's Beethoven.    And incidentally;

The only spelling mistake in Mutter's name you made was excluding the hyphen between Anne and Sophie.  [wink]

Whitefang

On 5/31/2023 at 4:54 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I need to get that. I have it on my list of stuff to get. It took me a while to get used to his voice. 

For me he might be the best songwriter of them all.  Lots of songwriters I can connect with : Dylan, Cash, Lightfoot, Joanie Mitchell, Carol King, Rodney Crowell, and numerous others, but Prine had a way-with-words that tends to surpass all the others.  He seemed to talk about everyday things in simple ways I’ve never thought about.   I enjoy them all, but John Prine is special.  One of the things they all have in-common (to my ears) is that their songs seem made for a lone human and a guitar.

On 5/31/2023 at 5:48 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just recently read a guy wanted his money back after seeing Anne Sophie Mutter (might be spelled wrong) because she did not play it exactly the same way as it is on the recording. 

Um . . . in case you didn't know its called interpretation of the work. Its was musicians do.

When I was 16 (1970) at Art School there was a project called 'The Portsmouth Symphonia'. A prerequisite of acceptance into the group was not being able to play an instrument. So various hairy students with violas, bassoons and french horns etc. would sit down and 'play' a simple classical piece. The conductor was the fellow whose project it was I think. 

They eventually got some gigs. Even at the Portsmouth Guildhall. Eventually some normal people came to see them and were outraged. They swapped phone numbers and planned to sue the PS for 'misrepresentation'. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Sinfonia

There is a lot of this expectation to hear exactly 'whats on the record'. They could save some money and stay home to listen to the record.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Zappa's Munich 80 is poorly recorded and mixed except for the guitar solos.  That guy could play!

Jethro Tull's Living With The Past is very well done, it was nice to hear fresh takes on these old songs again.  

It was supposed to be Frank’s first ever digital live recording. I guess there was growing pains back then. Damn I only listened to it on Spotify. Now I’m not getting it. Mudd Club on Spotify was terrible, so the vinyl must be a turd.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I just finished the restoration of a barn find, Gemini PDT-6000 turntable, which now produces the best vinyl sound I have ever heard on my home system. (not claiming my table is particularly high end, btw.) My Mom left me all her vinyl when she past away a few months ago, and I just finished listening to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits, (a first pressing and clean as hell, btw. Thanks Mom!) There are a few "Record Stores" in my area, who primarily sell used vinyl and some "new", but I would love to replace some of my albums I mistreated as a kid, and I can't find much of it "new" locally. Has anyone ordered vinyl online, or otherwise, and had it shipped to their home without it being damaged, warped, etc. during the process? 

Yes, I order albums all the time from Amazon or eBay, no problems.  A good record cleaning machine is a worthwhile investment.

I was mistaken, I ordered two more Leon Russell CDs this morning, Gimme Shelter and Snapshot.

Gimme Shelter are remixed titles/unreleased live recordings and Snapshot is basically a Best Of from his post Shelter Records work which is hit or miss.

Edited by SteveFord

15 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Has anyone ordered vinyl online, or otherwise, and had it shipped to their home without it being damaged, warped, etc. during the process? 

Yes I use / have used Discogs mostly with great success.  This is s/h of course; I've only had 2 items where the record was too highly graded.   Fortunately sellers have a good return policy as they don't want negative feedback, so I was able to return one of those.   Not had any damage in transit.  

All of your old LPs are available on Discogs...at a price!

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

Leon Russell - Carney came. Strike 2. They sent a used copy and never said it was used.  So back it went.

Judy Collins - Wildflowers is out for delivery on mono vinyl. Hopefully its a new copy.

I ordered John Prine - Crooked Piece of Time: The Atlantic & Asylum Albums 1971-1980 on CD. 

An SACD of Wishbone Ash - Argus is on the way, they  sent the wrong one the first time. That was strike one.