Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Hog vs. Maple

egoidealmusic

Splendid film and SOUND(s). Can't decide - would have to try them in real life and hear their nature with slightly more broken in strings.

The explorer in me wants to go with the maple. Those burst back'n'sides are alluring - plus the whole idea of such a tonewood slope. 

Let's not forget the good Russ Barenberg, who during this session solos away on his banner maple 45 from 1:12. 

Note that he uses kind of faded strings simply because he knows how new steel steals from an old guitar.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Splendid film and SOUND(s). Can't decide - would have to try them in real life and hear their nature with slightly more broken in strings.

The explorer in me wants to go with the maple. Those burst back'n'sides are alluring - plus the whole idea of such a tonewood slope. 

To hear them in person does change things. Russ checked out my '45 J-45 maple- I don't think he was terribly impressed. It did fair better in an a/b/c in a clip I posted here years back with the '46 SJ and all hog Banner. But I think there's a bit of truth to the old saw that says that maple does record very well. But the one at TFOA is very tempting- good thing they're far away in the NL.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 6:46 AM, Murph said:

They forgot rosewood.

Start over.

Rosewood in a J-45 is a fine combo.

On 6/1/2023 at 2:35 PM, G Man said:

Wow, tough call.  Gotta have both!  

Truth be told, my J185 gives me maple bliss.

True. And the '185 fits like a glove. . . a comfy player, indeed. And a real looker, too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 62burst said:

To hear them in person does change things. Russ checked out my '45 J-45 maple- I don't think he was terribly impressed. It did fair better in an a/b/c in a clip I posted here years back with the '46 SJ and all hog Banner. But I think there's a bit of truth to the old saw that says that maple does record very well. But the one at TFOA is very tempting- good thing they're far away in the NL.

Agree, , , and we hear that again and again, , , , , , , , , , 

and again now. Cause the 96 Dove is one of my best recorders at all, no doubt. . 

Like an excellent waiter - it's there to serve whenever you call and does it immaculately, , , yet never makes a booom out of itself. . 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Like an excellent waiter - it's there to serve whenever you call and does it immaculately, , , yet never makes a booom out of itself. . 

Yet another great quote...

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 9:59 PM, E-minor7 said:

Agree, , , and we hear that again and again, , , , , , , , , , 

and again now. Cause the 96 Dove is one of my best recorders at all, no doubt. . 

Absolutely agree with this. In fact, I used my ‘95 Dove for everything on my new record…it was all I needed. 

The Maple banner in this video sounds heavenly to me-a real winner!

• Like 1