Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

The Robots Are Coming


Recommended Posts

And no, im not talking about robotic tuners...

I happened across this video..

Imagine one of these with actual proper self learning AI...¬† I love how it seems so enthusiastic with the task at hand¬† ūüôā¬†

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, merciful-evans said:

This is what a robot looked like in the 60s. When a robots appearance become a style choice, I'll choose a retro one like this

il_1588xN.4924028772_hh7b.jpg

Lol..  Slightly more seriously, the speed at which technology is evolving is speeding up... Im no conspiracy type person, theres no telling exactly whats going to happen when AI and robots meet and the technology gets perfected.. But it is happening, I think we can all see that.  It used to be that say for example processing power  for computers used to double every two years (Moores law) but I think we have gone way past that now and are speeding up quicker than anyone could have imagined.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Lol..  Slightly more seriously, the speed at which technology is evolving is speeding up... Im no conspiracy type person, theres no telling exactly whats going to happen when AI and robots meet and the technology gets perfected.. But it is happening, I think we can all see that.  It used to be that say for example processing power  for computers used to double every two years (Moores law) but I think we have gone way past that now and are speeding up quicker than anyone could have imagined.

True. Every generation experiences more change than the previous one. Tech is the prime example, but its also lifestyle, social mores and language. I just read a wifi article from Which and it compared mesh to extenders.  I was completely unaware of this tech. Its getting harder to keep up. I had no idea about the dexterity that robot was capable of until I watched your link. 

The upward curve of change doesn't seem far off vertical now.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

We've been working on self morphology. 

Give an AI an arm, but no software for it. Let it learn how to make it move, what the limits of movement are, all the intricate accuracy, for itself. It's astonishing.  We're not up to Boston Dynamic's standards, but its fascinating stuff. The AI in the self morphology is actually our point of interest.

Yeah... Its quite interesting..   Ive seen a few videos on self learning AI

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Amazing! It must be worth a mint.

The last robot vid I saw was a 'restaurant waiter'. No comparison. 

Ah, but was he an aspiring actor/working on a script? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've found the Amazon Alexa thingy can hear me  when I whisper at night "Alexa turn off Jim's light."   And she is considerate enough to do it without the usual somewhat loud  "OK!".   Which caused me to wonder about 2 things:  Can 'she'  (not sure of the proper pronoun) here hear what we're saying even when we think we're being quiet?  AND ...  Is "It"  compiling reams of information on us to create a massive database?     

For Example:   "Did you remember to turn off the iron?"     "What is the expiration date on the milk? "     "IF Hallmark starts putting out Christmas movies in the Fall, THEN when will their Halloween movies come out?   Same time Hobby Lobby puts out Halloween decorations?"   "IF prices on 18 year old Irish Whiskey go up due to inflation, THEN how do we define 'inflation' ? "

"Robots are our friends."   I'm repeating that every night after I have 'him' turn out the light... insurance.    Like the Cowardly Lion in  The Wizard of Oz.  "I do believe in spooks."  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

This is what a robot looked like in the 60s. When a robots appearance become a style choice, I'll choose a retro one like this

il_1588xN.4924028772_hh7b.jpg

In the '60's I remember robots looking like---------

flbo2-1459186591-770-blog-Robot.jpg

And---------

ea01e4139f382ebf47faf66b575799fa--vintag

[wink]

Whitefang

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2023 at 12:48 PM, merciful-evans said:

This is what a robot looked like in the 60s. When a robots appearance become a style choice, I'll choose a retro one like this

il_1588xN.4924028772_hh7b.jpg

bHlDNBj.jpg

I think he has a name too, but I can remember it. Saw them once in SF.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

bHlDNBj.jpg

I think he has a name too, but I can remember it. Saw them once in SF.

I love that album. I had the 1st two Lobos albums on vinyl and had all but given up on a 3rd. Years elapsed, I thought the band had folded. Then I noticed this listed at the back of a music mag. The uk media had retaken control of record imports and radio. Los Lobos were nowhere to be seen. Eventually I learn that they never stopped gigging or recording. I caught up alright starting with importing Colossal Head, with Neighborhood & Kiko to follow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

I love that album. I had the 1st two Lobos albums on vinyl and had all but given up on a 3rd. Years elapsed, I thought the band had folded. Then I noticed this listed at the back of a music mag. The uk media had retaken control of record imports and radio. Los Lobos were nowhere to be seen. Eventually I learn that they never stopped gigging or recording. I caught up alright starting with importing Colossal Head, with Neighborhood & Kiko to follow.

They are hit and miss at times. But when they are on they are on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2023 at 3:20 PM, fortyearspickn said:

I've found the Amazon Alexa thingy can hear me  when I whisper at night "Alexa turn off Jim's light."   And she is considerate enough to do it without the usual somewhat loud  "OK!".   Which caused me to wonder about 2 things:  Can 'she'  (not sure of the proper pronoun) here hear what we're saying even when we think we're being quiet?  AND ...  Is "It"  compiling reams of information on us to create a massive database?     

For Example:   "Did you remember to turn off the iron?"     "What is the expiration date on the milk? "     "IF Hallmark starts putting out Christmas movies in the Fall, THEN when will their Halloween movies come out?   Same time Hobby Lobby puts out Halloween decorations?"   "IF prices on 18 year old Irish Whiskey go up due to inflation, THEN how do we define 'inflation' ? "

"Robots are our friends."   I'm repeating that every night after I have 'him' turn out the light... insurance.    Like the Cowardly Lion in  The Wizard of Oz.  "I do believe in spooks."  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65772154

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Whitefang said:

So, if you can remember it, why didn't you tell us?

Whitefang

Can’t. I cannnnn nought spkelll evier. I don’t know his name. It’s Big (something).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. To err is human. To really foul things up takes a computer

2. Garbage in, garbage out. Computer programs only work as well as the accuracy of their coding written by humans.

3. When AI specialists/programmers spoke about how AI would expand it's base programming by using the internet as a way to increase it's "knowledge", thus "growing beyond it's base programming", I knew we were all doomed. ('cause we all know if it's on the internet, it must be true, right?) At least AI would unquestionably believe that my girlfriend, who lives in Canada, is real.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If AI is so smart, why isn't it called Actual Intelligence instead of Artificial Intelligence? 

Artificial:

a: lacking in natural or spontaneous quality

an artificial smile

an artificial excitement

b: IMITATION, SHAM

artificial flavor.

Things that make you go hmmmm

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...