Gibson Brands Forums

50s J50 Adirondack…the saga continues…holy moly

rbpicker

I wasn’t able to edit my recent post, so I’ll create a new one.

I went back to the shop today to recheck the J50 that I raved about a couple days ago.  Typically when I do a wait-and-recheck routine, the subject guitar turns out to be less exciting than my original impression.  Well, that didn’t work out so good this time.  

When I went in and replayed it with fresh ears, it was as good or better than I remembered.  I played it for a long time, I tuned it down a half step (where I keep my guitars), I played with a capo, I played it in a different room, I tried my best to disprove my original impression but nothing worked so I bought the danged thing. I asked the dealer what the return policy was in case I found the Adirondack to be harsh, and he said bring it back after a couple days if you don’t like it…I figured nothing to lose, eh?  

playing it tonight confirms that this is the real deal…maybe the best sounding new guitar I’ve ever owned.  Rich, sweet sound, great bass and clear trebles.  I know it takes adi a long time to break in, but I’m happy with the sound right now even if it never changes.  This is a whole new level for me, folks…a Custom Shop Gibson.  I’m happier than a pup with two tails.

I’ll try to post a pic or two or maybe do a song and post it soon.  Thanks for tolerating my rave.

Roger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do, , , CONGRATS rbpicker

We must hear'n'see more

Had a feeling this was where you would end up. Congrats. I have 2 guitars with Adi and love them both. To my old ears they don’t sound harsh at all, more dynamic and clear but both have had a fair amount of play-in time now. Neither top was terrified. Enjoy.

J185cat… your description is what I’m hearing from the J50.  More dynamic and very clear sounding across all strings.  I’m good with that, but harsh has been my previous experience.  However, this is the first Gibson adi top I’ve ever played, so maybe it’s something in the Gibson soup recipe that makes it sound different.

roger

Based on what I could find on Reverb these have a nuked top.  Assuming that there is no structural difference between the red spruce and Sitka sprue top versions maybe that accounts for the difference you are hearing.  Or maybe not.  

Edited by zombywoof

13 hours ago, rbpicker said:

Hopefully I can do a demo recording next week, Lars.  Been busy with yard work. Fun, but cramps my play time 

Man, I hear ya about "time"...

I have several properties and the maintenance eats me up, not to mention "emergencies"...

Then, I took on a "project" total remodel 10 weeks ago and it's not done yet. I bought a round neck reso right before I started this and haven't got to mess with it all hardly because I'm too tired in the evenings.

I need to retire for REAL next time...

Congrats on the new tone machine my friend.

Glad you found a new level of sound with the Adi top.  The best sounding new guitar I ever played had an Adi top and I wanted one ever since, but they were always a little out of my price range.  I never thought of them as harsh sounding though.  I don't think Gibson's Adi is different than any other makers, baked or not.  Each piece of top wood is different and you found one that sounds great to you.  So put down the rake and shovel and start playing!!

I think you’re probably right about adi being adi regardless of the maker, Twang Gang.  It’s probably just the combination of this particular guitar’s components that appeals to me.  Thinking back, I did nave a J45 Vintage a number of years ago, with an adi top.  It never sounded good to my ears…always tight and a bit harsh.  

BTW, I’m pretty much finished with the yard work, now it’s time to play.

rb

Roger, stopped back at Huber's yesterday and bought one just like yours. And, like your experience, it sounded even better than it did when I played one a few weeks ago. I don't think I've ever heard a low E string rumble like this one does. Honestly, I just wish I would have bought it in the first place. Unfortunately, I made a couple of rash buys since the first experience that have turned out to be not-so-good. If I had bought the J-50 right away, I would have saved myself a lot of needless effort and money. 

Edited by Joe M

On 6/15/2023 at 9:30 AM, Joe M said:

Roger, stopped back at Huber's yesterday and bought one just like yours. And, like your experience, it sounded even better than it did when I played one a few weeks ago. I don't think I've ever heard a low E string rumble like this one does. Honestly, I just wish I would have bought it in the first place. Unfortunately, I made a couple of rash buys since the first experience that have turned out to be not-so-good. If I had bought the J-50 right away, I would have saved myself a lot of needless effort and money. 

Hey Joe, congratulations!!  Mine just sounds and feels better every time I play it.  The action on mine was nearly perfect and I didn’t have to mess too much with it.  Did you find the same on yours?  Maybe the custom shop does a little more fine tuning than the standard builds.

I know what you mean about making unwise buys…I’ve done that myself.

again, congrats!  I’m happy for you.

Roger

25 minutes ago, Murph said:

Hey Roger.

Your yard is growing again...

\:D/

Hahaha!  You know, Murph, just 45 minutes ago I stepped out onto the back porch and thought “wow, I’d better get that grass cut today”.  Of course I’ll need coffee first, and check the forums, and let the morning dew dry up…..

Roger