Gibson Brands Forums

British Comedies

Sgt. Pepper

So back in  the summer of '79 I was introduced to Monty Pythons Flying Circus. I didn't immediately get it, but I eventually did. I try to find new or old stuff I have never seen. I've seen The Young Ones, Ab Fab, Faulty Towers (I almost peed my pants when I read the sign out in from of the hotel and it changed every episode. Fatty Owls was the funniest) Bottom, ect ect. 

So what is out there that I might have missed or is current and funny? You guys in the UK turn on BBC (pick a number), and there it is. I gotta go search it out.

And no rct the British Baking Show is not comedy even though the guy from Mighty Boosh is on it for comedic relief, and I think a guy from Dr. Who as well.  I will state now I am not a Dr. fan. My wife is though. Its better high, not much but better. Why doesn't he just use the damn screwdriver in the first 5 mins and save us an hour of misery.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So back in  the summer of '79 I was introduced to Monty Pythons Flying Circus. I didn't immediately get it, but I eventually did. I try to find new or old stuff I have never seen. I've seen The Young Ones, Ab Fab, Faulty Towers (I almost peed my pants when I read the sign out in from of the hotel and it changed every episode. Fatty Owls was the funniest) Bottom, ect ect. 

So what is out there that I might have missed or is current and funny? You guys in the UK turn on BBC (pick a number), and there it is. I gotta go search it out.

And no rct the British Baking Show is not comedy even though the guy from Mighty Boosh is on it for comedic relief, and I think a guy from Dr. Who as well.  I will state now I am not a Dr. fan. My wife is though. Its better high, not much but better. Why doesn't he just use the damn screwdriver in the first 5 mins and save us an hour of misery.

There was an earlier thread about Monty Python....but not specifically what you're asking for.

I've seen a couple of t heir movies and many of their TV Shows (Monty Python's Flying Circus). but that's it.

Like you, took me a while to appreciate their humor...now I find them HILLAROUS!

40 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

There was an earlier thread about Monty Python....but not specifically what you're asking for.

I've seen a couple of t heir movies and many of their TV Shows (Monty Python's Flying Circus). but that's it.

Like you, took me a while to appreciate their humor...now I find them HILLAROUS!

I've own the entire collection of MPFC episodes on DVD and I think I have all three movies on DVD too.  Them Brits love to dress up as chicks. Didn't Moon "The Loon" dress up as Army Generals and Nuns and stuff like that and go out to pub's?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

Our local PBS station brought Python to the Detroit area in the early '70's.  Been a fan ever since.  They also showed the early Canadian episodes of "Second City" for several years before NBC picked it up in '80 and showed it to the rest of America.

But I've always liked irreverent social satire and "off the left field wall" type of humor(or in this case, humour). and Python filled that prescription extremely well.

Whitefang

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Our local PBS station brought Python to the Detroit area in the early '70's.  Been a fan ever since.  They also showed the early Canadian episodes of "Second City" for several years before NBC picked it up in '80 and showed it to the rest of America.

But I've always liked irreverent social satire and "off the left field wall" type of humor(or in this case, humour). and Python filled that prescription extremely well.

Whitefang

Seen many SCTV episodes. Farm Film Celebrity Blow Up killed me.

I cant watch broadcast TV, as I refuse to pay for a TV licence. 

I don't think I'm missing anything. Everything is woke and sterile by most accounts. 

Old childhood favourites were Steptoe & Son and 'Til Death Us Do Part. TDDUP is still forbidden on TV (racial slurs and other forbidden refs). TBH it hasn't aged well.

Forerunners to Python were At Last the 1948 Show and Do Not Adjust Your Set. They haven't either.

The Dave Allen Show was excellent. Not the 9 o'clock News

Not Only But Also had some bright moments. 

Spike Milligan's Q series were good on the whole. Spitting Image. The Rise & Fall of Reginald Perrin.

Later...

Porridge was superb. As was Only Fools & Horses and Fawlty Towers. Some Blackadder series were great. The Good Life.

The Young Ones. Father Ted (from Ireland). A Bit of Fry & Lawrie (also as Jeeves & Wooster). Red Dwarf was a great favourite of mine.

Dinner Ladies was great, (but you have to concentrate). The huge and ongoing series of QI. 

Not Going Out was not bad. The Armstrong & Miller Show was good 

Back in the early 90s I used to a British show Red Dwarf. I never watched enough to know what it was really about, other than it was set in Space in what seemed to be the distant future. From what I did see of it, cracked me up though.   

32 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I cant watch broadcast TV, as I refuse to pay for a TV licence. 

I don't think I'm missing anything. Everything is woke and sterile by most accounts. 

Old childhood favourites were Steptoe & Son and 'Til Death Us Do Part. TDDUP is still forbidden on TV (racial slurs and other forbidden refs). TBH it hasn't aged well.

Forerunners to Python were At Last the 1948 Show and Do Not Adjust Your Set. They haven't either.

The Dave Allen Show was excellent. Not the 9 o'clock News

Not Only But Also had some bright moments. 

Spike Milligan's Q series were good on the whole. Spitting Image. The Rise & Fall of Reginald Perrin.

Later...

Porridge was superb. As was Only Fools & Horses and Fawlty Towers. Some Blackadder series were great. The Good Life.

The Young Ones. Father Ted (from Ireland). A Bit of Fry & Lawrie (also as Jeeves & Wooster). Red Dwarf was a great favourite of mine.

Dinner Ladies was great, (but you have to concentrate). The huge and ongoing series of QI. 

Not Going Out was not bad. The Armstrong & Miller Show was good 

I’ve seen a few episodes of Only Fools And Horses and remember it being really good. Black Adder was hysterical.

31 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

You are definitely the kind of person who would enjoy Derek and Clive. 

It's Dudley Moore and Peter Cook of "Dud n Pete" only not for TV, drunk, high on Charlie and Weed, ripping into each other and everything else in the most tasteless and crass way possible. I think Derek and Clive Get The Horn is available on YouTube. 

I’m sure I need to see that.

Alan Partridge..  Theres Knowing me Knowing You which was his first show. Its a fake chat show and then after theres two series of Im Alan Partridge which shows what happens to him after his TV show ends.

Post Blackadder and Only Fools. Partridge has to be one of the funniest characters we have had.

He also has a film called Alpha Papa but only watch that after getting to know who he is.

Red Dwarf is good but is overall much more silly as a comedy. Almost more slapstick but it has its moments and some actual good sci/fi stories (theres been 10 seasons of that).

Ohh.. Also The Day Today..  Man that show was hilarious. Its a fake news reporting show (this also had Steve Coogan who plays Alan Partridge). 

And then after this show there was one with the same guy called Brass Eye which was similar to the above but less a news show and more current affairs .

Edited by Rabs

Not British but Irish  Father Ted

One of my faves in the last decade or so is The League of Gentlemen. Very dark almost Monty Python like in the way theres only a few of them that play all the main character and sometimes dress up as women and its more like a bunch of sketches with a very very loose storyline.. To say it is weird is an understatement.

Edited by Rabs

41 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

The Mighty Boosh is another one. But it might be too abstract for a foreign audience. Take Python's hyperactive child, give it steroids, and far too much caffeine, some hallucinogens and a low budget. 

RCT will be familiar with familiar with Noel Fielding from the Bake Off but might not know of his meagre beginnings with the genius Julian Barret.

I like bits of Might Boosh. I remember the one where the one guy was gonna fight a Kangaroo.

I think there was one episode where they were stuck on an island . That was the first one I ever saw.

The IT Crowd was funny. The sexiest boss made me laugh.

There was one show where a girl was trying to be an actress and she couldn’t drive and took driving lessons. That was good.

The thing about Brit Comedy is they don’t run it into ground. 3 to 6 seasons and they end it. 

The one where the guy was an ex roadie and now he’s an exterminator was funny. 

Gavin and Stacy was funny.

Coupling was good.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

In-betweenies was funny.

Yeah that was good (the inbetweeners). They did two films too..

Also one that comes to mind if you can stand Ricky Gervais is one called Extras about a TV/Film extra working his way through the business and each week they would have some super famous person on it as a guest star (the ones making the TV and films hes in)....

5 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah that was good (the inbetweeners). They did two films too..

Also one that comes to mind if you can stand Ricky Gervais is one called Extras about a TV/Film extra working his way through the business and each week they would have some super famous person on it as a guest star (the ones making the TV and films hes in)....

I saw one whey they went on as you say - holiday. I’ve seen the dark haired guy with glasses in another show.

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw one whey they went on as you say - holiday. I’ve seen the dark haired guy with glasses in another show.

Friday night dinners?  Or something like that.. Never seen it, just seen it advertised.

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ha..  that actually happens in both films.. One they go to Spain and then to Australia. 

Edited by Rabs