Gibson Brands Forums

Lower Tunomatic bridge on SG?

slash75

I have a SG Standard 61 and would like to get the action a little lower on the treble side but the bridge is already bottomed out. 
Even all the way the action is still over 2 mm on the treble side.
Is there any way to lower this further? Different bridge maybe?

That’s like 5/64’s , right??

capo 1, hold down 17th fret, you have around 5-8 thou of an inch at 7th fret?

( hint about the thickness of a business card, held under string at 7th)

if it isn’t, adjust truss rod,

quick google gave me this 

For electric guitar action, in our opinion, a good default string height at the 12th fret is typically about 6/64th of an inch (2.38mm) on the bass side and 4/64th of an inch (1.59mm) on the treble side.”

Not exactly sure what that would be in 64ths but it is just over 2mm on my action gauge all the way down and can't go any lower.
Would like to get closer to the 1.59mm you referenced.
As for relief, A business card just barley fits under the 7th fret (with capo at first fret and holding down the 17th).

51 minutes ago, slash75 said:

Not exactly sure what that would be in 64ths but it is just over 2mm on my action gauge all the way down and can't go any lower.
Would like to get closer to the 1.59mm you referenced.
As for relief, A business card just barley fits under the 7th fret (with capo at first fret and holding down the 17th).

Capo at first, hold down at the last full fret.

Measure strings at the 17th fret, not the 12th.  A 16th(2mmish) is about right for the 17th.  You will hate it though, it won't be the lowest action on the internet.  lolz

rct

On 6/4/2023 at 1:39 PM, Eracer_Team said:

That’s like 5/64’s , right??

capo 1, hold down 17th fret, you have around 5-8 thou of an inch at 7th fret?

( hint about the thickness of a business card, held under string at 7th)

if it isn’t, adjust truss rod,

quick google gave me this 

For electric guitar action, in our opinion, a good default string height at the 12th fret is typically about 6/64th of an inch (2.38mm) on the bass side and 4/64th of an inch (1.59mm) on the treble side.”

I guess you can't trust google, as that setting is most common on acoustic guitars.

4/64s, 3/64s is a reasonable ball park for electrics, but on a neck where all frets are properly leveled,  somewhere in the ballpark 3/64s, 2/64s is quite achievable