Gibson Brands Forums

New bass day!

Guitar God

Got a new bass today. Ordered it on Reverb last week and it came in today. It's a 2003 Music Man S.U.B model. I've been wanting a Music Man bass for years. I've been looking through Reverb for awhile and stumbled upon this one. What sold me on this one is that it's 100% passive. Passive EQ and pickup. I'm primarily a guitarist, so this is completely fine with me. Plus, I really like how it looks, too. Under $1,000, too. Yes, it is a USA a made model. Played it a bit acoustically and it feels great and built like a tank. Going to restring it and do some jamming on it in a bit.  Going to eventually get some Dunlop straplocks for it, too. Anyway, here's a picture:

onwdHjk.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dig it.

I've played a lot of bass in my day and love it.

I started when a bass player quit in a country/50's rock band in the mid/late 70's. I knew the notes, but was a guitar player. The drummer was fantastic, and he taught me how to be a bassist. We'd do accents and trick break stuff, there was a guy who played sax and steel guitar. And sang and harmonized. He'd play sax on the 50's rock and steel on the country crying songs. I loved playing bass on the country swing stuff and the outlaw music was new back then and very hot.

I still have a Mexican Fender Jazz and a Carvin 4:10/redeye horn, R1000 rig.

Very cool indeed.

• Like 2

I’ve played Bass a lot as well.. Started in my first Band.. I was delegated the job because I was the worst Guitarist in the Band! LOL.. We played 3 chord 50’s & 60’s Rock & real R&B….. 

I’ve always been the Lead Vocalist & preferred playing Rhythm Guitar.. Not Bass.. But, playing Bass helped make me a better Guitar Player..

I didn’t know it was supposed to be hard to sing & play Bass at the same time.. So I just did it the best I could.. LOL! Then Mc Cartney came along…….

I have a USA Music Man Bass too.. Mine is the Sterling & has Active Electronics.. They really put out a great Sound! Congrats on your New Bass Day! Enjoy!

• Like 2

The bass player in the first band I was in was a buddy of mine who paid $20 for the bass he played and he had absolutely no previous experience on any musical instrument.   But me and the other guitar player in the band showed him what to do in each song in our then small repertoire.  He was one reason why I liked the movie THAT THING YOU DO.

He left the band in August of '68 when he went into the marines.  [biggrin]

We eventually found a guy who played bass exclusively and was pretty good at it too.   I never owned a bass but did have fun noodling around on them now and then.    Hope you have tons of fun on your new acquisition. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

Musicman made some great basses, enjoy.

I played bass in my first band in 64, one of my favorites over the years was a 59 Fender P-bass with its headstock cut like a Vox.

Also this Tele going through an SVT.

FOqTFHX.png

and earlier this highly modified Kalamazoo below

eyMYXmr.jpg

last time out playing bass at the Akebono Theater in Pahoa below with my Schecter going into a Marshall stack

UcZpqX9.jpg?1

I have always had a fun playing bass, usually to fill in gaps between guitar bands.

I mostly played some form of rock bass, I got paid more often for country or jazz.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 7:05 AM, Murph said:

Dig it.

I've played a lot of bass in my day and love it.

I started when a bass player quit in a country/50's rock band in the mid/late 70's. I knew the notes, but was a guitar player. The drummer was fantastic, and he taught me how to be a bassist. We'd do accents and trick break stuff, there was a guy who played sax and steel guitar. And sang and harmonized. He'd play sax on the 50's rock and steel on the country crying songs. I loved playing bass on the country swing stuff and the outlaw music was new back then and very hot.

I still have a Mexican Fender Jazz and a Carvin 4:10/redeye horn, R1000 rig.

Very cool indeed.

I can understand that, since I'm primarily a guitarist, too. Bass is fun, too.  Nice! I have some Fender basses, too.  That Carvin setup is a beast of a rig. I had one at one point. R1000 head with a 4x10 cab and a 1x15 cab. Sounded awesome, but too much for me. Ended up parting with it. I guess it's me being primarily a guitarist, but I prefer a more easier layout.  Great rig, though! I've got an old USA made Peavey TNT bass amp with built in chorus right now and it's serving me well at the moment.

On 6/7/2023 at 11:57 AM, mihcmac said:

Musicman made some great basses, enjoy.

I played bass in my first band in 64, one of my favorites over the years was a 59 Fender P-bass with its headstock cut like a Vox.

Also this Tele going through an SVT.

FOqTFHX.png

and earlier this highly modified Kalamazoo below

eyMYXmr.jpg

last time out playing bass at the Akebono Theater in Pahoa below with my Schecter going into a Marshall stack

UcZpqX9.jpg?1

I have always had a fun playing bass, usually to fill in gaps between guitar bands.

I mostly played some form of rock bass, I got paid more often for country or jazz.

I used to have a Black leather Strap with that big Buckle on the front like the one in the top Pic.. It was ideal for playing a P Bass.. And I thought it looked Classy on Stage.. I wore it out long ago.. I’ve been looking for one but haven’t found any.. Might you or anyone here know a Source? 

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2023 at 6:48 PM, Larsongs said:

I used to have a Black leather Strap with that big Buckle on the front like the one in the top Pic.. It was ideal for playing a P Bass.. And I thought it looked Classy on Stage.. I wore it out long ago.. I’ve been looking for one but haven’t found any.. Might you or anyone here know a Source? 

Oh, you had the good one, mine was synthetic but very comfortable no matter how heavy the bass.

Edited by mihcmac

11 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Oh, you had the good one, mine was synthetic but very comfortable no matter how heavy the bass.

I had a great PBass from the 70’s that was quite heavy & that was the perfect Strap.. It seemed to distribute the weight in such a way that there was little or no discomfort while playing long periods.. Plus, it had style.. I wish I could find & buy another..