Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Nighthawk original?

KoLd

Hello guys!

This Nighthawk has a very good price on a store at my local mktplace.
I would like to know if it is a real Gibs, cause I love Nighthawk and I'm thinkin' about giving this one a chance!

Thanks

347232091_5985668098223341_2014380726734345613145_9113503255386827_4488048156201346125152_6183946451719219_7948921924912347215850_7250753994989996_1895357671165

Indeed @jdgm this is a 1994 indicative that the first 2 digits are 94 - the Gibson centennial year haha! I’d snag that one up if I had the chance. Congrats on the find OP!

That’s a fancy one… heritage cherry… there are a few of these from that era that deviates from the “standard” finishes. I’ve seen goldtop, wineburst, chocolate something or other… how HC! Again, no brainer, get it!

To be more specific about the guitar in question, that is surely an ST-3 - 3-pickup Standard have you.  I can tell just by looking at inlays as the "variants" have this detail different between each of them.  Usual finishes are as such:

SP-3 (3-pickup Special) - dot inlay

• solid cherry
  • solid black
  • vintage sunburst
  • (rare) fireburst

ST-3 (3-pickup Standard) - parallelogram inlay

• vintage sunburst
  • translucent amber
  • fireburst

CST-3 (3-pickup Custom) - crown MOP inlay

• antique sunburst
  • translucent amber
  • fireburst

These are the "standard" finishes you'd typically find.  Again, some 1994 builds were deviating from this - like in 96/97, you might find some with Schaller (Floyd-licensed) tremolos.  I didn't have interest in the 2009 and later reissued types - were not the same as the 90s.  But pay attention to the S/N when it starts with "94".  Gibson screwed with us all this year, haha! 

There are 2-pickup versions of the NH too, but the finishes are generally the same between the 3 and 2 pickup variants.  I only like the 3-pickup variants TBH.  Much more Strat-Tele like.  Not that the 2-pickup is bad, just that YMMV. 

My personal favorite is the fireburst CST-3.  I am a sucker for the Gibson triburst/fireburst guitars...  it's a weakness I can't overcome! 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Upvote 2

I see why @jdgm called the big guns out!😂

Amazing explanataion @NighthawkChris
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge!

This ST-3 is selling for less than 40% of the full price of an used LP Std (here in my country).
Lp Std = R$18K ~ R$22K
This ST-3 = R$8K

At this very moment, I'm negotiating with the store!

I'll keep you guys posted!
Thank you very much again!

Well @NighthawkChris, you helped a lot!

Helped so much that I brought this beautiful lady home!
NGD for me today!

It's in great shape, original frets with no dents at all, barely played, just a few scratches...
After some cleaning and setup, I'll post some pics.

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-09 at 20.56.00.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KoLd said:

Well @NighthawkChris, you helped a lot!

Helped so much that I brought this beautiful lady home!
NGD for me today!

It's in great shape, original frets with no dents at all, barely played, just a few scratches...
After some cleaning and setup, I'll post some pics.

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-09 at 20.56.00.jpeg

Thanks for sharing! She is a special one. You will have a hard time finding that one if you ever let it go. Anyhow congratulations! Hope for many years of enjoyment 😀 It’s a beautiful Nighthawk!

• 2 weeks later...

@NighthawkChris She is already labeled here as "never selling item" 🤣 I absolutely loved the guitar!

I put Dimarzio Cliplock (I know it's not very vintage, but I love it) and just got some Gotoh Locking Tuners, this week she will get the updates and a full setup!

BTW Chris, she came with a generic hardcase, I put her on a Gator Hardcase I have here. I know NH have their own case, but does it fir ok on a regular Gibson case? The brown one or the black one... If I can't find on a good price, I'm thiking about ordering a custom one. Any tips? I looked for some "blueprints" of NH to get a perfect fit.

@KoLd sometimes you can find one on Reverb come up - set up your account if you have one to watch for new nighthawk listings. Patience is key. 

Not a perfect fit, but a Gibson Gear SG case isn’t that bad of a fit… it’s not going to work with any other case - especially a Les Paul case. But again, I’d just wait for a used one to come up. I’ve seen minty ones go for around $400, but you might be able to strike a deal… 

Epiphone might have a good case since the Nighthawk is made by then now as a reissue of sorts. Not sure how accessible they are… but again haha, id just wait for a case to come up on Reverb. Maybe you buy another NH that comes with a genuine case and share it between the 2 when you want to go out.

You could go custom route, but that’s expensive I’ll bet. I’ve used an old Fender case - big rectangular ones - and fitted foamy inserts to pad the guitar in there snug which worked for a while. I used this before I bought a used genuine case haha!

But awesome stuff man glad you are digging the NH! It deserves a great case. So good luck with your find. If I run across anything I will share here - have you on my mind when I participate here. No guarantees of course as we have to wait for someone willing to part with one. 

@NighthawkChris Thanks for the tips, man! I notice the LP cases are "deeper" than SG or LP Junior (Could it be?) ones. Good to know the LP case won't fit at all.

I looked on Reverb, also the links you sent.
The problem is, I live in Brazil, import taxes are up to 60 ~ 100% of the product price, meaning a U$400 hardcase would cost me at least around U$700 plus shipping.

I can get a custom made one top quality for like U$150 here.
But I keep an eye on local markets here.

Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1

@KoLd yes where you reside was another thing I was thinking about… Reverb then might not work, but yeah if you can get custom made case, no issues. Probably have to do something like that because it’s not a “typical” guitar body shape, but not that strange that certain things like I mentioned in previous post couldn’t alleviate. Anyhow best wishes to you, hope all is well 😀