Gibson Brands Forums

My 1952 Gibson LG1 is back! Monster's back!

BluesKing777

1952 Gibson LG1 back from luthier - big crack repaired, braces reglued, logo cleaned up (previous owner gold speckled it for some reason), setup etc.

Not for everyone, but I love the ladder braced sound! Like having a new guitar...almost.....😃

Photo now:

jUWRqZr.jpg

CUeqhmv.jpg

rFtnnFF.jpg

Photo before with crack:

mMm9CXi.jpg

BluesKing777.

Yes, the luthier said the paint touch up will sink into the grain over time, already happening I was told....looked weird before paint! Like Frankenstein monster....

A few pick scratches to add.....

Sounds great - better go play it some more.

BluesKing777.

• Like 1

Tough but someone has to do it! 😆

Going to the luthier’s Elves workshop to pick up a repair is an experience....some excitement, some nervy hand wringing, patience etc, etc.

He was removing a bit of the gold speckle from the Gibson logo and I was playing his latest custom 00 build....phew, dangerous....very old Adi over very figured Rosewood, plain papery top with herringbone trim, sensational.......and another guy waiting asked me for guitar lessons! And then a test play of my LG1 with new strings wanting to stretch......played it too hard and sounded.....not much, well, awful really.......quick retune and played slower.....AHA! There it is.....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I came across a 64 model the other day.  It had the plastic bridge.  Played great, sounded great, and was in very good condition.. the shop wanted 1400 for it with the chipboard case.  Is that a decent price?

thanks,   roger

Edited by rbpicker

I came across a 55 Christmas before last, and it came home with me.  This was sort of the model of my 60s youth, and it is one of the sounds I am bonded to. 

My original LG-1 was maybe a 1960 model.  It was stolen in the 1970s.  I picked up this rescue -- 1959 -- a few years ago in Berkley.

Since covid, I have been attending a few song circles rather than bluegrass jams, and this one has gone out several times.

Best,

-Tom

9 hours ago, rbpicker said:

I came across a 64 model the other day.  It had the plastic bridge.  Played great, sounded great, and was in very good condition.. the shop wanted 1400 for it with the chipboard case.  Is that a decent price?

thanks,   roger

I couldn't really say without playing it, seeing it.....not sure of the plastic bridges, most buckled and gone!

What was the nut dimension? I think the necks got skinnier and skinnier as the 60s went along, some 1 5/8"! Aaah.....

Personally, I would look for an early 50s LG1 like mine...nice chunky neck, perhaps a slightly better build in the early 50s?

P.S. Look at this 1950 from Retrofret! Looks almost new!

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=10061&name=Gibson-LG1-Flat-Top-Acoustic-Guitar-1950

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

40 minutes ago, Murph said:

Bet you're happy she's home!

Yes, very happy thanks Murph!

A few steps forward and a few steps back - I opened a box and got a big paper cut on my thumb, bit sore but it won’t stop me playing! Much.... Maybe a bit. Ouch, right where it touches the strings.

Next mission, win Lotto, then buy some mint condition old ladder braced units! Gibson, Kalamazoo, Stella? Don’t want any (more) rattlers.

BluesKing777.

28 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

A few steps forward and a few steps back - I opened a box and got a big paper cut on my thumb, bit sore but it won’t stop me playing! Much.... Maybe a bit. Ouch, right where it touches the strings.

Ouch!

I've been renovating an old house the last few months for my daughter.

I've had more splinters in the last few months, than in the last ten years!

Edited by Murph

21 hours ago, rbpicker said:

thanks,   roger

That price is right about right where they've been, especially with the case.  Of course,  like BK7 says - it depends on the condition!   Plastic bridge isn't a 'deal breaker' unless it's broken. Sound as I recall is transmitted through the bolts to the plywood bridge plate.  I had mine in to a luthier for a fret finishing job - and asked if he'd replace it.  He said it wasn't worth doing until it broke.  No one outside this forum would even know the bridge was a skeletonized, hollow plastic thingy from sitting across the room from it.  Of course, a solid rosewood bridge would change/improve the tone..... but then you'd be tempted to fiddle with the bridge plate which could very likely be chewed up.  More change/improvement.....   And I'm guessing  the original big, thick pick guard was as big a factor! Which, BK7 seems to have also addressed !

Edited by fortyearspickn

A quick look back at my photos will show my bridge is a nice piece of Gabon Ebony........quite a few years ago, I opened the guitar case and LG1’s Rosewood bridge was split in half! I think it gives a slightly denser tone.

It also has some nice Ebony pins!

It could also do with a new set of frets, but you know....we don’t want to turn it into a spoiled princess....😆

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777