Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson CJ-165

Hype

I owned a new 2007 CJ-165 Rosewood. We just didn't bond. Maybe I didn't break it in. To my ears, it just sounded like a small guitar in all the bad ways, weak and thin.

Subjective. And with the caveat that when I sold it 3-4 years later, it had been played a total of about 4 hours.

35 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I owned a new 2007 CJ-165 Rosewood. We just didn't bond. Maybe I didn't break it in. To my ears, it just sounded like a small guitar in all the bad ways, weak and thin.

Subjective. And with the caveat that when I sold it 3-4 years later, it had been played a total of about 4 hours.

Same experience, even had the 2007 RW 

. . . somehow the smaller dimensions of the L-00 don't yield a thinner-sounding guitar (?)

The CJ-165 looks like it would give a rounder tone, what with the mini jumbo shape.

ps- any clue why Gibson has yet to offer a travel guitar? One with a shorter scale than their 24.75" ? The Taylor GS Mini (23.5")  is a unique guitar, or the Martin 000-10 Jr (24"). Martin offers other downsized models as well.

Gibson made an Americana Ranger for a while around 2005-6 ish. I think it was a solid body with electronics. Looked like a small acoustic at first glance.

They also made some weird small acoustic around that time. I don't remember the name. They had one on display at Music Villa in 2007. It was a raffle or giveaway of some sort. Strange little beast. It's very fuzzy in my brain, like I dreamed it, but it was real. Seems like it didn't have a regular sound hole.

Actually Gibson did offer the LG-3/4 back in the 50s, and also a C-1S classical, which was more of a parlor size.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Gibson made an Americana Ranger for a while around 2005-6 ish. I think it was a solid body with electronics. Looked like a small acoustic at first glance.

They also made some weird small acoustic around that time. 

How weird? This weird? :

N1FTTcQ.png

Edited by 62burst
  • Confused 1