Gibson Brands Forums

Doubt with guitar lowered one tone

David Lee Jones

Hello forum!

For some time now, in addition to playing, I've been singing and, just as I sometimes use the capo to transpose songs by raising the pitch, I have the need to lower it. Usually a tone, and sometimes a tone and a half.

What I usually do when lowering it is just to transpose it directly. But, of course, that implies certain limitations that are out of the question. So I have thought about having one of my acoustic guitars permanently lowered one tone (as compared to standard tuning), meaning that the sixth string is in D and not in E. Well, you already know the drill.

With this context, I would like to read opinions and advice from people who have followed this path and who can recommend me things like scale length, body type, string thickness (and even brand), etc.

My most usual styles with the acoustic are blues, folk, rock, and some pop.

I hope I'm not overlooking anything. Should you miss any information from my side, just let me know and I'll include it. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards!