Gibson Brands Forums

J-185 unexpected neck wear

Roller

That's mojo and shows you play the guitar often, nice work!  I wouldn't do a thing unless the finish starts flaking or some other odd behavior.  But if it bugs you, definitely bring it to someone experienced with nitro finishes and see what they have to say.

None of my guitars look like Murph’s  or anywhere near that. Maybe that says I don’t play them enough. I do wipe them down every time I play them and occasionally hit them up with Virtuoso Polish. So it seems excessive to me anyway.

OK that answers my worries completely.   I do play alot.    That wear on your guitar Murph on that pic is 

impressive.   In a good way.     I do love the sound and the looks of my J-185.     Oh and thanks to all who replied.  🙂

14 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

I play mine a ton… but don’t had that wear. Weird. Maybe I have soft *** white collar sissy hands 

Sal may have a point. My hands are pretty rough from decades of construction, demolition, property maintenance and such, running chainsaws and everything else.

I've spent the last 3 months on a property renovation. 6-7 days a week.

Plus I've owned that J-45 for nearly 20 years, since it was new.

This J-15 is just a pup.

ld8VoNr.jpg

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Sal may have a point. My hands are pretty rough from decades of construction, demolition, property maintenance and such, running chainsaws and everything else.

I've spent the last 3 months on a property renovation. 6-7 days a week.

Plus I've owned that J-45 for nearly 20 years, since it was new.

This J-15 is just a pup.

ld8VoNr.jpg

Murph next time I need some sanding done I’m going to send the piece out to you and just get you to rub it down with your hands! 

On 6/15/2023 at 3:56 PM, Salfromchatham said:

I play mine a ton… but don’t had that wear. Weird. Maybe I have soft *** white collar sissy hands 

You sell/swap yours before they get a chance to "wear in" ...

default_eusa_whistle.gif

• Haha 1

Murph. I have bought a few new ones for the herd of late. (I know, I know). But one of my best purchases was under $500.

this thing. It’s awesome, and made in Canada. 000 size.  Cedar top. Cherry laminate back and sides. Cherry neck. I’ve gigged with it once, and will do so with it the rest of the summer.

7HZ3JYv.jpg

10 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Cedar top. 

20 plus years ago, just before I got my J-45, I played a Taylor cedar topped, small bodied guitar (new) at a dealer. I don't know their numbering system. 

I went back and played that guitar several times. It was fun to play, sounded great, good electronics, and felt good.

I bet they cost more now....