Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge replacement - 1957 Gibson AA

Wileym

Hey there!

i have a beautiful Gibson AA 1957 acoustic and the bridge is shot and needs replacement. I’m based in NYC.  I’d like to see if there is something direct from Gibson that would work.  The challenge has been finding a bridge that has the spacing right.  2.2” across from end to end.

https://ibb.co/DKPR2JG
https://ibb.co/w4TzsmM

the guitar is super special so I want to do it in the best restorative way. 

any help?  It’s been with Matt @ 30th street guitars for a few months and we haven’t located a solution. 

thanks! Wiley 

I have some NOS Kalamazoo bridges but they’re a drop in saddle. 

They all measure fairly close to the same.

1.040" wide

6" long

.270 thick

.121 saddle slots

2.125 pin spacing (center to center)

one of these has already been sold

Bridge 1950’s NOS

Edited by Dave F

I guess ksdaddy and I are the only two who do not have a clue what a Gibson AA is.  I cannot even think of a Gibson made as late as 1957 which had anything other than a drop in saddle.

But yeah, any good luthier can fashion a bridge for you.  I have had it done twice - once for a Harmony Sovereign (which I was converting to a pin bridge) and the other for my 1942 J50.

33 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I guess ksdaddy and I are the only two who do not have a clue what a Gibson AA is.  I cannot even think of a Gibson made as late as 1957 which had anything other than a drop in saddle.

No , not the only one(s). I just wasn't up for clicking on a link.

But welcome to the forum, wiley.

The only thing a luthier would have to remain mindful of when it comes to fashioning a rectangular bridge for a Gibson is that assuming nothing had changed by the later-1950s, they were thicker on the bass side.  It sounds like the guy who has the guitar in his shop is thinking in terms of a ready-made bridge.  

Edited by zombywoof