Gibson Brands Forums

The NF 53 is a new, er... no OLD guitar

I liken this to Hollywood.
(Wait, stay with me here.)

I see the adverts for the new movies coming out, and it's like "Yay, they re-made Spiderman again! Whoo-whee!!".

Where's the originality?
How many times can you re-make Spiderman?
How many ways can you rip-off Leo Fender?

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
😔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I liken this to Hollywood.
(Wait, stay with me here.)

I see the adverts for the new movies coming out, and it's like "Yay, they re-made Spiderman again! Whoo-whee!!".

Where's the originality?
How many times can you re-make Spiderman?
How many ways can you rip-off Leo Fender?

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
😔

They just make another cartoon one. And I am sure Disney is already on the next live action remake of an old classic. How about Lady And The Tramp, or The Aristocats, or Fox And The Hound?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

The thing is ugly for sure but I have to admit it sounds promising. They mentioned that the neck is more narrow than a regular PRS neck which may fix their main problem of shitty wide D shaped necks.

Might actually be an incredible guitar but I’m not the guy to pay for it. Gimme a good Les Paul or Tele and I’ve never been disappointed with versatility or modern whatever. It’s just a good instrument which is whatever you make of it

ive always personally felt that PRS kinda solves a nonexistent problem. They take a perfect guitar and make the neck wider and the pickups brighter or something 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The thing is ugly for sure but I have to admit it sounds promising. They mentioned that the neck is more narrow than a regular PRS neck which may fix their main problem of shitty wide D shaped necks.

Might actually be an incredible guitar but I’m not the guy to pay for it. Gimme a good Les Paul or Tele and I’ve never been disappointed with versatility or modern whatever. It’s just a good instrument which is whatever you make of it

ive always personally felt that PRS kinda solves a nonexistent problem. They take a perfect guitar and make the neck wider and the pickups brighter or something 

I think by combining a Strat & a LP (original models) they have combined the virtues of each. 

Strat: individual saddle height adjustment / contour body / straight string pull etc.

LP: Better playing neck / tilt back headstock / sensible string spacing etc.

In any event, I am very unlikely to ever buy another, but if I did it wouldn't be this one.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jdgm said:

£3099 in UK.   Bolt-on with a scarf joint.  Weird 2-saddle bridge.

I haven't played one so I don't know how it feels but I think they've over-priced it.

Holy smokes… That’s $4,000 usd for a guitar with such basic specs. The price is $2,900 here

Fender has already done some amazing work modernizing the Tele with the Ultra and Ultra Luxe series among others. The Ultra Luxe is the most expensive at $2,600 and there are some special versions of it for still less money than the PRS

With the fender you get a guitar that isn’t ugly, noiseless pickups which sound like a Tele, modern neck and fretboard, etc etc

If I wanted a modernized take on the Tele I really can’t imagine going for the PRS at that price

I've just noticed its got two saddles. 

The triple saddles that Leo used always looked like it was cobbled together from a box of bits he had on his bench. I think that's why he added the ashtray cover. At least Fender changed over to a better 6 saddle version after a while, so you had that option if you wanted it.

Its as if PRS are trying to make it look even more rustic and basic. Maybe a piece of straw is included in the case   gig-bag candy.