Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 Epiphone vs. Gibson

Sheepdog1969

1 hour ago, Fish Crumpet said:

Pathetic little man.

Scratch that. I'll leave before the predictable banning. Enjoy your insecurities, Sgt. Pepper.

Why not save up for the guitar you want instead of settling? I got opinions but I guess there not right cause their not yours. Your just like Neil Young. You can say what you want as long as Neil approves.

Banned  for what not aligning with you? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 4:47 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

I did a couple houses in Hawaii with cabinets finished in nitro lacquer and they’re all holding up beautifully but I don’t doubt that mihcmac has had some real problems with humidity. 

Saying that it melted seems to imply some chemical reaction or something since nitro lacquer is obviously not water soluble. The wood could expand and warp causing finish to crack and flake off. I wouldn’t call that melting. 

The biggest problem is probably oxidization of metal parts like frets. And of course oxidization in your pickups, pots, and switches is no bueno. Epi would suffer that as bad as anything but I don’t really know the full story on michmac’s Gibsons. I don’t doubt his guitars got ruined but the details seem slightly odd. 

there are several common products which will cause nitro lacquer to “melt” or otherwise react such as bug repellent

Need to clarify if you built cabinets in higher end homes with central air, which would increase the survival of nitro finished wood. I have been here for 18 years. Most of us here live with windows open all year around with no form of heating or AC. I live on the windward side of the Island, it rains every day and surrounded by heavy jungle that holds the humidity in. I had a few Gibsons when I moved here and acquired a few more before the finishes started to fail and the hardware pitted while turning green. So I got rid of them and moved on to more stable poly finishes.

To the OP… Have you had any luck finding a new Epi JB 335? I came across this.. There may be others..

I’d offer them 20% off.. Firm.. Take it or leave it.. Try it out & if I liked it, keep it.. If not, return it. Maybe do an exchange or get a refund if they don’t have something else I want..

Good luck on your quest..

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Smoke a fatty and chill out. Geezes get Pisssd  off over guitar talk. Just cuz Sarge said something. No wonder people are moving out of California.

Not sure what happened but leave my people out of it lol 

20 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Need to clarify if you built cabinets in higher end homes with central air, which would increase the survival of nitro finished wood. I have been here for 18 years. Most of us here live with windows open all year around with no form of heating or AC. I live on the windward side of the Island, it rains every day and surrounded by heavy jungle that holds the humidity in. I had a few Gibsons when I moved here and acquired a few more before the finishes started to fail and the hardware pitted while turning green. So I got rid of them and moved on to more stable poly finishes.

Very good point. I wanted to leave my post open for correction because I was sure that I was overlooking something and that’s kindof a big factor I did overlook

Btw, I really need to visit Hawaii in a recreational sense. I’ve only been there for work and wasn’t able to enjoy it at all. It’s supposed to be a place to relax but I’ve only been there working like 16 hour days.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

Not sure what happened but leave my people out of it lol 

Very good point. I wanted to leave my post open for correction because I was sure that I was overlooking something and that’s kindof a big factor I did overlook

Btw, I really need to visit Hawaii in a recreational sense. I’ve only been there for work and wasn’t able to enjoy it at all. It’s supposed to be a place to relax but I’ve only been there working like 16 hour days.

Which Island and where as each Island is very different, relaxation on what environment you need.

Edited by mihcmac

I know Hawaii is hot and humid. I lived there for a year and a half, but I also have lived in Virginia (from 2002 - 2019) and SC (from 2019 - Present), and its hot and humid here too. I owned Gibson's (in Virginia), and so do others, I am sure of it.  I never experienced nitro melt.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Both a Gibson or Epi would be a great guitar.  I have a bunch of both and some of my Epi's are still my favourite guitars up there with the Gibson's. I have an awesome Epi ES 175 which whilst it not be quite up to the tone and feel of my Gibson ES 175 is still a fantastic guitar. I'd say go with the Epi and one day look at getting the Gibson 335. Gibson's will go up in value generally, Epi's stay about the same. 

You can use Epiphones for professional purposes and they hold up. I used my 2016 LP Custom for some recording a while back and couldn't really tell a massive tonal difference from recordings I've done with my Gibson LP's. 

Edited by cody78
  • Thanks 1