Gibson Brands Forums

CD Player for new Truck?

Larsongs

If you’ve bought a new Vehicle recently you’ve noticed a lot of de-contenting or missing Equipment due to many reasons.. 

My new Chev Silverado didn’t come with a CD Player.. I was told Manufacturers have quit adding them as no one uses them anymore.. All MP3 Downloads & Streaming now..

I want a CD Player in my Truck! I went online & youtube & did some research.. There are supposedly aftermarket CD Players that will adapt to the new Vehicles Computer systems.. Even AppleCar Play.. Supposedly..

I want one for listening to our Recordings Mixes to make sure they sound good on many different types of Audio Systems.. (I also Mix for MP3’s.. But, that’s a different step in the Mixing process…)

I have bought 2 so far.. Neither lived up to their promises.. Neither worked & I returned them..

Has anyone had a similar situation & figured out a solution? 

I'm the same.  We put the music on phone or iPad and bluetooth it over to the new radios.  It works, just takes getting used to.

In the studio I use a pair of chintzy little TASCAM VLX something or other monitors, very thin little things with a sub.  They are pretty close to car speakers.  Can never have too many monitors available.

rct

My daily is a 2011 Impala. I had some crazy hot s___ Kenwood thing installed. I've never figured it out. You can do stuff like change the timing of the tweeters based on the placement in the car, adjust the display based on the angle from which you view it,  it has more EQ crap than I need, and many MANY EQ settings I have no idea what they're talking about.  I seriously do well to turn it on and up.

It does have a nice feature for when my Impala throws codes, which is all the time, because it's a GM product, and it wouldn't be a GM product unless the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree. The radio allows me to access the codes and clear them, most of the time when I'm driving down the road.

I'm truck shopping and hopefully the stock radio will suit me. As long as it has Bluetooth and XM, we're good. It's rare I bring CDs with me anymore.

Thanks for the input.. Maybe I didn’t state my question as good as should have.

I have a Recording Studio.. I record Bands & Artists music.. Mine as well. My ultimate goal is to produce Professional Studio quality Recordings.. To be Mastered & ulitimately reproduced in Vinyl, CD’s, Vinyl & MP3 for marketing and distribution…

Mixes always sound great in the Studio! Unfortunately most Sound Systems in your home, your Computer, Car & your Phone don’t sound like the Studio.

WAV File format at 24 bit produces extremely high quality Recordings… Which Protools, Logic & other high quality DAWS employ.. If they are recorded well, Mixed well & Mastered well… 

In order to achieve finished recordings that sound good on any System many steps are required.. One being sampling the finished recordings on several different Sound Systems.. Home Stereo, Computer, Car Stereo, Phone & MP3.. 

I have all the other Sound System sources to listen how the Mixes translate..  The one that I no longer have & want is a CD in my Vehicle… 

There must be a solution & thought someone here might have discovered it… 

Thanks

My 2016 Ram Bighorn 4x4 Crew with a Hemi didn't come with a cd player.

My wife bought a 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness Edition last year and it has a factory cd player.

My Ram has an input, so a portable could be plugged in I suppose, but I've never done it.

Read somewhere 'they' are pushing to eliminate AM Radio bands soon on vehicles.  I guess only FM..   So - the direction they are going with CD players in vehicles seems obvious.  If you produce media that sound 'great' on a CD player in your studio, wouldn't  that be sufficient, given there probably won't be any CD players in new vehicles in 5 years?    

2022 was pretty much the end of the line for CD Players in new Vehicles.. They want to sell Subscriptions to Apple, Alexa, Sirius, Spotify etc. as they get kick backs.. 

While a Mix may sound fantastic in a Studio it won’t necessarily translate as well on different platforms… A Mix might sound great in your Studio but it can sound horrible in your Car, Home System, Phone, Computer etc… A Mix needs to be listened to on multiple platforms.. From the best to the worst.. From WAV to MP3.. When a Mix sounds great on all of them you’ve got a good Mix…

The most listened to environment for music is your Vehicle.. 

Edited by Larsongs

You know, the big three's excuse that. "nobody WANTS them anymore" rings hollow considering the number of people I've talked to who said they'll buy any new car that offers them a CD player.  Me included.  But no longer wishing to get back into the monthly car note treadmill,  I might even check into if the local Chevrolet dealership can hunt one down for me.  That or be able to repair the one I already have. 

Whitefang

22 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

"nobody WANTS them anymore" 

Whitefang

Same for regular cab with 8’ bed. I asked a local dealer about ordering one and he said they were restricted on what they could order (a lie, likely) and “not that we would have one on the lot anyway”, with a sneer. Meanwhile they had a 2018 GMC like that, and the dealer across the street had a 2018 F150 like that. Both were gone in the next 48 hours…. Because nobody wants them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Thanks for the input.. Maybe I didn’t state my question as good as should have.

I have a Recording Studio.. I record Bands & Artists music.. Mine as well. My ultimate goal is to produce Professional Studio quality Recordings.. To be Mastered & ulitimately reproduced in Vinyl, CD’s, Vinyl & MP3 for marketing and distribution…

Mixes always sound great in the Studio! Unfortunately most Sound Systems in your home, your Computer, Car & your Phone don’t sound like the Studio.

WAV File format at 24 bit produces extremely high quality Recordings… Which Protools, Logic & other high quality DAWS employ.. If they are recorded well, Mixed well & Mastered well… 

In order to achieve finished recordings that sound good on any System many steps are required.. One being sampling the finished recordings on several different Sound Systems.. Home Stereo, Computer, Car Stereo, Phone & MP3.. 

I have all the other Sound System sources to listen how the Mixes translate..  The one that I no longer have & want is a CD in my Vehicle… 

There must be a solution & thought someone here might have discovered it… 

Thanks

And all you wanted to do was listen to some music 😀

I own a Recording Studio.. I record Professional Recording Artists that Record Music for commercial Release.. Music that has Distribution to major Retailers like ITunes, CDBaby, Amazon, etc. As well as Streaming Services like Spotify & many others. It has to Commercial Grade Quality on all kinds of listening Devices, Formats & Platforms.

I offer a Professional Recording Service.. I'm needing a CD Player in my new Truck to hear how the Music sounds in that environment on CD, WAV Format like Sirius & Mp3 for those who Download their music & or Stream...

I thought there might be some here in a similar situation.. Maybe not..

Thanks 

There are plenty here in a similar situation.

You are conflating the need to check mixes in the car with the need for a cd player.

In 1984 CDs accounted for 2.4% of recorded music sales.  In 2022 it was 2.6%.

The way people take delivery of music has changed, just like it did with 33.3rpms and 8trax and cassettes.

The car companies know what's up, the music distribution chain knows what's up, the consumer knows what's up.

rct

32 minutes ago, rct said:

You are conflating the need to check mixes in the car with the need for a cd player.

The way people take delivery of music has changed, just like it did with 33.3rpms and 8trax and cassettes.

The car companies know what's up, the music distribution chain knows what's up, the consumer knows what's up.

rct

CD were first available in 82 or 3, so the entire world was still mostly still listening on LP's, Radio, and cassettes. I was. I think I got a CD player in '84 or 5. Plus when CD players first came out they were stupid expensive (like all new tech). So that is why sales were low back then. Now everyone can yell at some fictitious person that doesn't exist to play music, or listen on Spotify ect ect. Now the hip kids that didn't grow up with vinyl want that fake analog sound. Lots of what you think is analog on todays LP's is digitally recorded an pressed on to vinyl. They are not going back to the original tapes in the vault. Do a search about the recent Mo Fi debacle.

I still have and use my iPod.

Just buy the truck and go get an after market car CD player and have it installed or install it yourself. Problem solved.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, rct said:

rct

People are buying all formats including Vinyl. Kids are buying Vinyl! And Turntables! You better not Mix them in MP3…

I prefer to make my Mixes as High Resolution as possible.. Hopefully, they would sound great on a $50,000 system, Car or a Phone..

4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

People are buying all formats including Vinyl. Kids are buying Vinyl! And Turntables! You better not Mix them in MP3…

I prefer to make my Mixes as High Resolution as possible.. Hopefully, they would sound great on a $50,000 system, Car or a Phone.

I get it, I really do.  24k or nothing, that's what they want.  -18k or it's not masterable, all that stuff.  I get it, I really do, and I feel for you.

But the CD player is nothing.  It means absolutely nothing because you can, like it or not, get the music into the car.

Rock on brutha, just do it the new way.  Look at me.  Sixty effing three years old and SD card'n it and phone'n it into the car and all that.  You just have to do it is all, and I know you can. You wouldn't write the posts you do if you couldn't.

rct

Edited by rct

On 7/3/2023 at 5:09 PM, rct said:

I get it, I really do.  24k or nothing, that's what they want.  -18k or it's not masterable, all that stuff.  I get it, I really do, and I feel for you.

But the CD player is nothing.  It means absolutely nothing because you can, like it or not, get the music into the car.

Rock on brutha, just do it the new way.  Look at me.  Sixty effing three years old and SD card'n it and phone'n it into the car and all that.  You just have to do it is all, and I know you can. You wouldn't write the posts you do if you couldn't.

rct

I want to hear it in High Resolution WAV Format...  I know how to do it in MP3 Format....

I have Sirius Radio.. I spend most of my time flipping Stations.. Just like I used to with Radio way back in the day... Except now I have to pay extra! Sometimes there is nothing I want to hear on any of the  Stations... Which is why, way back when, I bought CD's...  Another reason why I want a CD Player in my Silverado.... I have a ton of CD's that I like!!

Edited by Larsongs

Progress isn't always great aint it.  What you are asking for you'd think would be easy right?

I wonder if a thing like a Sony Walkman (remember those) would work if you can go line out, to aux in

What we do is put the bounces on DropBox  I have a small Bluetooth receiver that I plug into my Silverado's Aux In.

And from Drop box, (which can be wav, or mp3) I open them dropbox app on my phone and play them like that.

for other music, I have a spotify sub.  so I can find almost anything there to play.

I don't listen to music on the radio, and haven't for years.  If I have to hear "Broken Arms" one more time!!!!!  (Oh wait, I mean Open Arms...)

Edited by kidblast

I was disappointed with amount of tech my 2014 FRS has, like 8 antennas for all the devices like Bluetooth GPS Radio and whatever the fob uses. The large touch control screen is relatively easy to use as long as you are not driving. The one saving grace is that it has a CD  player, USB and an 1/8th" analog audio input. My retirement car just turned 40000, isn't the most practical  while a lot of fun to drive, its only 4" off the ground, so my dilemma is finding a simple replacement with low tech that is still fun to drive, something more utilitarian from the 90's maybe, with a CD.

Edited by mihcmac

I don’t put many miles on my ‘05 Vette (23,000 mi.) or my ‘21 Silverado (5000 mi.). Most of the time when we travel we take my wife’s Lexus..

I’ve contemplated selling my ‘Vette & Silverado & getting a no rust So Cal Car or Truck from the 50’s or 60’s that’s been Resto Modded.. With upgraded Paint, Interior, Suspension, Disc Brakes, Engine & Powertrain, Exhaust, A/C & a good sound System with CD with an Aux In….

My IPhone with Apple Play comes with just about all the Tech I want, plus, I could play all my stored Music, & have great NAV… And have a cool Ride! 😎 

I'm old school, I still travel with 200 of my favorite Cds, many were purchased in 1984. My 2014 GMC Sierra has a CD player. 

Like someone else said, can you install an aftermarket CD player in your vehicle? 

I have a very nice Klipsch home stereo/theater setup that I use primarily for 2 channel listening, with an Oppo CD player.  I hear stuff in my music that the trucks' CD player doesn't produce. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I'm old school, I still travel with 200 of my favorite Cds, many were purchased in 1984. My 2014 GMC Sierra has a CD player.

Old school? 

I drive a 22-year old Skoda Fabia which has a cassette player.....that analog sound.....and I still have ALL my old cassettes (although not in the car! [laugh])