Gibson Brands Forums

Trying out a new browser

I have no affiliation with this company. I just wanted to share this. I've used the duckduckgo search engine for quite a few years. Its a free internet privacy  search engine.

For the last 3 days I've been trying out their new web browser. Its a beta program and is likely still a WIP. Its still all about privacy, and it blocks trackers, ads & pop ups. I've used it on YT as it blocks those adds too. The YT Premium subscription (to remove ads) costs £12 where I am in the uk. So far, duckduckgo's browser is free. So far I'm impressed.

It's a US company FYI. Its also profitable. I checked out how it makes money. Their own site (I looked at others) explains how https://spreadprivacy.com/duckduckgo-revenue-model/

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Doesn’t any browser take us all to the same websites?

Yes and no. Browsers would/could. But duckduck has it's own search engine. The difference with duckduck is that it doesn't employ uneccessary marketing cookies. You search with chrome and then you see ads related to that search everywhere you go  . Not so with duckduck. Therefore search results are unbias. You won't get results from sites that pay google for top listing for  instance. It doesn't give one complete overall anonymity because your ISP logs your activity as well.

There's allot more to it than that. But that's it's main marketing difference as I understand it.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Yes and no. Browsers would/could. But duckduck has it's own search engine. The difference with duckduck is that it doesn't employ uneccessary marketing cookies. You search with chrome and then you see ads related to that search everywhere you go  . Not so with duckduck. Therefore search results are unbias. You won't get results from sites that pay google for top listing for  instance. It doesn't give one complete overall anonymity because your ISP logs your activity as well.

There's allot more to it than that. But that's it's main marketing difference as I understand it.

Can’t one just go incognito? I’m IT stupid. I twisted wired for the last 35 years till recently.

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Can’t one just go incognito? I’m IT stupid. I twisted wired for the last 35 years till recently.

Still gonna get bias/sponsored search results as top listing from those entities that pay for it. And the data from essential cookies is still there to expliot. Time zone, country, IP pool, language, etc.... Duckduck sees that too. But they don't share/sell it. Many cookies are common ones. So even entities that don't normally share with say Google, still have access to that data via a common cookie.

I've been outa the PC cleaning bizz for a while. XP days and just Windows. So even my insight doesn't cover all the expliots out there. Purdy sure marketing methods/strategies have only improved. Back in the day, I would go "incog" to check out web sites. As many infections came via temp internet files.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/8/2023 at 8:31 PM, CROWB8 said:

Still gonna get bias/sponsored search results as top listing from those entities that pay for it. And the data from essential cookies is still there to expliot. Time zone, country, IP pool, language, etc.... Duckduck sees that too. But they don't share/sell it. Many cookies are common ones. So even entities that don't normally share with say Google, still have access to that data via a common cookie.

I've been outa the PC cleaning bizz for a while. XP days and just Windows. So even my insight doesn't cover all the expliots out there. Purdy sure marketing methods/strategies have only improved. Back in the day, I would go "incog" to check out web sites. As many infections came via temp internet files.

Thank you for the insight CROWB8. 

Still using this as default browser. Its nicely configurable. When looking at embedded pics it will allow you to copy the image link without all the junk attached to it.

It reports on how many trackers were blocked and what sites are trying to access your webcam, which is a surprising amount. Gets a thumbs up from me.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Thank you for the insight CROWB8. 

Win 10 machine. I use Chrome as browser with Bing as a search engine. Bing because it has a grid layout with preview for videos. Windows Defender does good job now days for protection. Use to use AVG free. But no more. I do however still mind my temp files for a couple reasons. Free up ram, privacy, and cut down on ads by purging unwanted cookies.

I use CCleaner free to purge cookies, cash, and privacy. I can chose which cookies to keep so I don't have to sign into email, here, and stuff. Always run CCleaner after online purchase or banking. Daily use is at end of day. Can config it to shut down after cleaning by using a different scripted desktop icon (have to create it yourself). Right click the icon, run as admin, close laptop lid, and forget. It purges and shuts pc down for me.

You see those shows/movies where they get a purps computer and they see everything? Not so with mine. The see no user tracks on mine save here and my email. Now as I said, your ISP logs where one goes too. But they'll need a warrant for that. But without user tracks (just cause), ain't happening.

Edit

"And what sites are trying to access your webcam"

Tape your cam lens if you're getting those messages. Little dot of paper with tape so as not to smudge the lens. And be advised, typically your mic is being accessed at the same time.

I had other security programs too. One i used to use was a port sniffer and access monitor. Little an×l on the port as I'm not worth targeting. But the access monitor let me know if someone was trying to jump on my router.

I live in the sticks now and last in the DSL line a good 20min from anyone. So I don't use those any more. But if I were back in the big sh!ty, sure would.

Edited by CROWB8

2 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

"And what sites are trying to access your webcam"

Tape your cam lens if you're getting those messages. Little dot of paper with tape so as not to smudge the lens. And be advised, typically your mic is being accessed at the same time.

I had other security programs too. One i used to use was a port sniffer and access monitor. Little an×l on the port as I'm not worth targeting. But the access monitor let me know if someone was trying to jump on my router.

webcam: access reports are fewer now. Facebook was a certainly one. Some were odd, like retail / grocery deliveries. I just tried a few out, but have no reports today.

I started using ESET (banking & payment protection) before using DuckDuckGo browsing. It attaches to whatever browser is used. 

CCleaner is always interrupting but I let it do its stuff. It tells me my browser is closed and do I want to run clean up now? The browser is not closed, but maybe has dropped out briefly? It bugged my partner Cherry so I uninstalled it on her laptop. Maybe we should reinstall as she was recently shut out of her computer having fallen victim to an attack that told her it was 'Microsoft Windows' and she should not try to shut it down but call this number.... I shut it down with ctrl alt delete. 

I wish I had not gone over to Windows 11, but there's no way back. 

RvKe8OR.jpg

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

webcam: access reports are fewer now. Facebook was a certainly one. Some were odd, like retail / grocery deliveries. I just tried a few out, but have no reports today.

I started using ESET (banking & payment protection) before using DuckDuckGo browsing. It attaches to whatever browser is used. 

CCleaner is always interrupting but I let it do its stuff. It tells me my browser is closed and do I want to run clean up now? The browser is not closed, but maybe has dropped out briefly? It bugged my partner Cherry so I uninstalled it on her laptop. Maybe we should reinstall as she was recently shut out of her computer having fallen victim to an attack that told her it was 'Microsoft Windows' and she should not try to shut it down but call this number.... I shut it down with ctrl alt delete. 

I wish I had not gone over to Windows 11, but there's no way back. 

RvKe8OR.jpg

Important.

What version do you have? And are you runninng windows? Some setting changes you may want to do. Like it doesnt need to be on auto or smart scan.

And do not use the registry tool. You can mess your pc up iif you dont know what your doing.

18 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Important.

What version do you have? And are you runninng windows? Some setting changes you may want to do. Like it doesnt need to be on auto or smart scan.

And do not use the registry tool. You can mess your pc up iif you dont know what your doing.

V6.13.10517 (64 bit) and yes running windows. Smart cleaning is enabled.

No I've left registry alone. 

25 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

V6.13.10517 (64 bit) and yes running windows. Smart cleaning is enabled.

No I've left registry alone. 

Up to you but if on ccleaner opening screen you touch custom scan, smart should stop. You won't get bothered while surfing. Unless it's selected to run via "options". Windows defender will let you know if something serious is happening. Just make sure you rt click recycle bin and "run ccleaner" after any online purchases or banking. Otherwise, I just run it upon shut down or after watching a bunch of movies to free up temp files. Ccleaner needs to close browsers in order to clean those temp files. So let it do it. You can close browsers ahead of time or just check "dont ask again" in the notifications popup. Edge likes to run in the background weather you use it or not, so letting ccleaner shut down all browsers mabe prefered.

You can also go to options then cookies, and drag email and gibson forum cookies to the exclude pane. Should be 2 cookies to drag. Any wanted site cookies that include ad or click need not be saved.

IDK your skill level or knowlege with computers so excuse me if I'm insulting your intellegence. Maybe you'll excuse my spelling.

Edited by CROWB8

7 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

IDK your skill level or knowlege with computers so excuse me if I'm insulting your intellegence. Maybe you'll excuse my spelling.

No, you got it right. My skill level is 'nearly competent' and holding. I'll give you special dispensation on the spelling for being helpful. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

No, you got it right. My skill level is 'nearly competent' and holding. I'll give you special dispensation on the spelling for being helpful. 

Forgot. I don't ever have windows save passwords. If pc is lost or stolen, well, damage would be obvious. So, once I've slid my wanted cookies to excude pane (do not "exclude" banking cookies), I go down the list (both pages) of things to clean and check every box pertaining to passwords.

Edited by CROWB8

@merciful-evans

Once you get used to that, come back here and I'll give you a small maybe 7 charictor script to c/p into the ccleaner desktop icon properties field. It will allow you to, upon shut down/end of day or session, to simply click on and walk away. It will then clean your computer and shut it down for you. And it wont interrupt windows updates. I find that very handy.

Ps,

You ever have a pc issue, feel free to pm me. I miss the old days of helping others with their pc issues. Eh, get on a first name basis.

Edited by CROWB8

19 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Up to you but if on ccleaner opening screen you touch custom scan, smart should stop. You won't get bothered while surfing. Unless it's selected to run via "options". Windows defender will let you know if something serious is happening. Just make sure you rt click recycle bin and "run ccleaner" after any online purchases or banking. Otherwise, I just run it upon shut down or after watching a bunch of movies to free up temp files. Ccleaner needs to close browsers in order to clean those temp files. So let it do it. You can close browsers ahead of time or just check "dont ask again" in the notifications popup. Edge likes to run in the background weather you use it or not, so letting ccleaner shut down all browsers mabe prefered.

You can also go to options then cookies, and drag email and gibson forum cookies to the exclude pane. Should be 2 cookies to drag. Any wanted site cookies that include ad or click need not be saved.

I disabled Smart scan in settings. It doesn't seem aware (not showing) that DDG is there. 

Cookies: Nothing showing for Gibson. So far so good. 

Thanks for that. I will pm you if I should need advice. Meanwhile I'll just send a 'hello'.  

Edited by merciful-evans
  • Like 1