Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

28 Years Ago To The Day


Sgt. Pepper

Recommended Posts

Before I was married, I went to a friend's house for a party in San Jose.

While there I met a girl and asked her out for a date the next night.

She was from New York and was visiting the people in the house next door to my friend's house.

She said okay, so I went back to San Jose the next night to pick her up....and when she answered the door, she looked dead-on Deputy Dog!

There was no way I was going to take her anywhere I could be seen with her by my friends....so we drove up El Camino on the Peninsula...keeping away from my home town.

Anyway, we passed a little bar in a strip mall that had a sign out that said "Live Music"....so I thought, what the heck.... we'd go there.

The place had a stage behind the bar..... so as you sat at the bar, there was a well where the bartender worked, and behind him was the stage.

Amazingly enough the band was The Grateful Dead.... anonymously playing this small bar...there was maybe a dozen people there.... I suspected they were getting some songs practiced for a tour.   This was probably 1975.

That was when I noticed that Jerry Garcia was missing the middle finger on his right hand, because he was playing about 6' from me.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Before I was married, I went to a friend's house for a party in San Jose.

While there I met a girl and asked her out for a date the next night.

She was from New York and was visiting the people in the house next door to my friend's house.

She said okay, so I went back to San Jose the next night to pick her up....and when she answered the door, she looked dead-on Deputy Dog!

There was no way I was going to take her anywhere I could be seen with her by my friends....so we drove up El Camino on the Peninsula...keeping away from my home town.

Anyway, we passed a little bar in a strip mall that had a sign out that said "Live Music"....so I thought, what the heck.... we'd go there.

The place had a stage behind the bar..... so as you sat at the bar, there was a well where the bartender worked, and behind him was the stage.

Amazingly enough the band was The Grateful Dead.... anonymously playing this small bar...there was maybe a dozen people there.... I suspected they were getting some songs practiced for a tour.   This was probably 1975.

That was when I noticed that Jerry Garcia was missing the middle finger on his right hand, because he was playing about 6' from me.

 

He lost it chopping wood, I believe. 
 

San Jose, sadly I can never go back and afford to live where I grew up. Cali went to . . . well you know the word.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He lost it chopping wood, I believe. 
 

San Jose, sadly I can never go back and afford to live where I grew up. Cali went to . . . well you know the word.

Yeah... many Californians leave...buy HUGE houses in other states, or buy houses for cash.....but they can never come back!

Edited by DanvillRob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

While there I met a girl and asked her out for a date the next night.

She was from New York and was visiting the people in the house next door to my friend's house.

She said okay, so I went back to San Jose the next night to pick her up....and when she answered the door, she looked dead-on Deputy Dog!

There was no way I was going to take her anywhere I could be seen with her by my friends....so we drove up El Camino on the Peninsula...keeping away from my home town.


I don't understand, Rob.

Dead-on Deputy Dog?

She looked unattractive?
I don't get it.
🤨

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, sparquelito said:


I don't understand, Rob.

Dead-on Deputy Dog?

She looked unattractive?
I don't get it.
🤨

It wasn't that she was unattractive..... she just had a very unattractive nose.... and she wore a coat that looked like it was made from black monkey hair.   Might have been the fashion in New York, but was pretty ugly to my eye.  She was a nice girl...and (fortunately) she went back to New York shortly after our date.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I listened to the new '73 RFK show on Saturday and the expanded Dead Set on Sunday. 

The Grateful Dead were not the best at what they do, but they are the only band that do it. I think Bill Graham said that.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jerry's acoustic stuff is some of the best acoustic music ever recorded.

He truly loved bluegrass, folk and old time acoustic music and you can tell by listening to it.

He also wrote some liner notes in the Scotty Stoneman/ Kentucky Colonels "Live In L.A." album.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He lost it chopping wood, I believe. 
 

San Jose, sadly I can never go back and afford to live where I grew up. Cali went to . . . well you know the word.

his brother accidentally cut it off while they were chopping wood. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Murph said:

Jerry's acoustic stuff is some of the best acoustic music ever recorded.

He truly loved bluegrass, folk and old time acoustic music and you can tell by listening to it.

He also wrote some liner notes in the Scotty Stoneman/ Kentucky Colonels "Live In L.A." album.

In the 8 part Long Strange Trip doc, his daughter said he used to come home form a tour, and sit in the front room, and play scales on the banjo for hours.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...