Gibson Brands Forums

28 Years Ago To The Day

Sgt. Pepper

Before I was married, I went to a friend's house for a party in San Jose.

While there I met a girl and asked her out for a date the next night.

She was from New York and was visiting the people in the house next door to my friend's house.

She said okay, so I went back to San Jose the next night to pick her up....and when she answered the door, she looked dead-on Deputy Dog!

There was no way I was going to take her anywhere I could be seen with her by my friends....so we drove up El Camino on the Peninsula...keeping away from my home town.

Anyway, we passed a little bar in a strip mall that had a sign out that said "Live Music"....so I thought, what the heck.... we'd go there.

The place had a stage behind the bar..... so as you sat at the bar, there was a well where the bartender worked, and behind him was the stage.

Amazingly enough the band was The Grateful Dead.... anonymously playing this small bar...there was maybe a dozen people there.... I suspected they were getting some songs practiced for a tour.   This was probably 1975.

That was when I noticed that Jerry Garcia was missing the middle finger on his right hand, because he was playing about 6' from me.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Before I was married, I went to a friend's house for a party in San Jose.

She was from New York and was visiting the people in the house next door to my friend's house.

She said okay, so I went back to San Jose the next night to pick her up....and when she answered the door, she looked dead-on Deputy Dog!

There was no way I was going to take her anywhere I could be seen with her by my friends....so we drove up El Camino on the Peninsula...keeping away from my home town.

Anyway, we passed a little bar in a strip mall that had a sign out that said "Live Music"....so I thought, what the heck.... we'd go there.

The place had a stage behind the bar..... so as you sat at the bar, there was a well where the bartender worked, and behind him was the stage.

Amazingly enough the band was The Grateful Dead.... anonymously playing this small bar...there was maybe a dozen people there.... I suspected they were getting some songs practiced for a tour.   This was probably 1975.

That was when I noticed that Jerry Garcia was missing the middle finger on his right hand, because he was playing about 6' from me.

He lost it chopping wood, I believe. 

San Jose, sadly I can never go back and afford to live where I grew up. Cali went to . . . well you know the word.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

San Jose, sadly I can never go back and afford to live where I grew up. Cali went to . . . well you know the word.

Yeah... many Californians leave...buy HUGE houses in other states, or buy houses for cash.....but they can never come back!

Edited by DanvillRob

3 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't understand, Rob.

Dead-on Deputy Dog?

She looked unattractive?
I don't get it.
🤨

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I don't understand, Rob.

Dead-on Deputy Dog?

She looked unattractive?
I don't get it.
🤨

It wasn't that she was unattractive..... she just had a very unattractive nose.... and she wore a coat that looked like it was made from black monkey hair.   Might have been the fashion in New York, but was pretty ugly to my eye.  She was a nice girl...and (fortunately) she went back to New York shortly after our date.

• Like 1

I listened to the new '73 RFK show on Saturday and the expanded Dead Set on Sunday. 

The Grateful Dead were not the best at what they do, but they are the only band that do it. I think Bill Graham said that.

• Haha 1

Jerry's acoustic stuff is some of the best acoustic music ever recorded.

He truly loved bluegrass, folk and old time acoustic music and you can tell by listening to it.

He also wrote some liner notes in the Scotty Stoneman/ Kentucky Colonels "Live In L.A." album.

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

his brother accidentally cut it off while they were chopping wood. 

41 minutes ago, Murph said:

Jerry's acoustic stuff is some of the best acoustic music ever recorded.

He truly loved bluegrass, folk and old time acoustic music and you can tell by listening to it.

He also wrote some liner notes in the Scotty Stoneman/ Kentucky Colonels "Live In L.A." album.

In the 8 part Long Strange Trip doc, his daughter said he used to come home form a tour, and sit in the front room, and play scales on the banjo for hours.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper