Gibson Brands Forums

Stoner rock

QOTSA

Hello guys! I would like to get your opinion on which Gibson guitar would be the best for stoner rock. For example, the sound that I have in my head is Mexicola by Queens of the stone age and The Next of Kin by She Loves Pablo... My personal opinion is that the Les Paul is the go-to guitar for stoner rock, but I would like to get yours🤘

There is no specific guitar for that..  Most of that is going to come more down to the amp and effects you use..

For the guitar, playability has to be the highest consideration...  Any Gibson will get you there...

You definitely can't go wrong with a Les Paul or SG.

Josh Homme of Queens Of The Stone Age used his Maton (with a lot of fuzz) on the song Mexicola, and Troy Van Leeuwen used an old Les Paul Standard.

Looks like She Loves Pablo will play whatever they can get their hands on.
The lead singer/guitarist favors a Godin single cut, and the other guitars look to be Danelectro and Duesenberg.

Good luck in your quest!!
🫠

And I agree with Rabs.

A lot of that sound is in the effects pedals, amplifiers, and how they were recorded and mixed.

Still.
Can never go wrong with a Gibson Les Paul or SG when it's time to rock.

Or an Explorer, if you have a rich uncle who  loves you.
🤔

• Like 1

It’s like saying you can’t play the blues on a Strat. I swear the 3 times I saw this guy named Buddy Guy that is what he played. And the nerve of that Albert Collins guy using a . . . Tele.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It’s like saying you can’t play the blues on a Strat. I swear the 3 times I saw this guy named Buddy Guy that is what he played. And the nerve of that Albert Collins guy using a . . . Tele.

lol. da noive ...

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Or like saying you can't play jazz on a Tele,   which this guy did for most of his career.

Whitefang

• Like 1

18 hours ago, QOTSA said:

Hello guys! I would like to get your opinion on which Gibson guitar would be the best for stoner rock. For example, the sound that I have in my head is Mexicola by Queens of the stone age and The Next of Kin by She Loves Pablo... My personal opinion is that the Les Paul is the go-to guitar for stoner rock, but I would like to get yours🤘

As long as you have some good weed on hand, any guitar will do IMHO.  Light some up, start strumming that thing... you're gonna love it!  Can't speak for the audience, but you'll be OK. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

As long as you have some good weed on hand, any guitar will do IMHO.  Light some up, start strumming that thing... you're gonna love it!  Can't speak for the audience, but you'll be OK. 

When I bake and play, its A chord pause, A chord, what the hell am I doing, D chord. Alright put on The Beatles instead.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...