Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a modern equivalent to a 1970's FT-150

acdc363

Hey all. I'm looking to find the closest modern equivalent to my dad's old FT-150 from 1978 (in natural finish). The FT-100 looks nearly identical but the fretboard has dotted inlays instead of the larger block inlays that the 1970's FT-150 had. I actually emailed Epiphone to ask if it was possible to order a custom FT-100 with white block inlays but I never heard back lol.

I really loved the look of the inlays on the FT-150, so I am looking for something as similar to that as possible. One guitar that has stood out to me due to its somewhat similar inlays was the Masterbilt Texan, but I'm not sure how closely it resembles the FT-150 in other areas. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 7:01 PM, acdc363 said:

Hey all. I'm looking to find the closest modern equivalent to my dad's old FT-150 from 1978 (in natural finish). The FT-100 looks nearly identical but the fretboard has dotted inlays instead of the larger block inlays that the 1970's FT-150 had. I actually emailed Epiphone to ask if it was possible to order a custom FT-100 with white block inlays but I never heard back lol.

I really loved the look of the inlays on the FT-150, so I am looking for something as similar to that as possible. One guitar that has stood out to me due to its somewhat similar inlays was the Masterbilt Texan, but I'm not sure how closely it resembles the FT-150 in other areas. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

the frontier has slotted-rectangle inlays that are the closest you'll get to squares. the USA made comes in natural but also at a hefty price tag. there's a sunburst masterbilt that's like $800

to be honest no modern guitar is going to feel quite the same as a MIJ bolt on all laminate guitar from the 70s. why not just buy another ft-150?