Gibson Brands Forums

J-185 "TV Edition"

Pete Stone

I'm looking at buying a '07 custom shop "TV EDITION".  Scams these days scare me and it doesn't help that I am not very tech savy.  I have scoured the internet and cannot seem to find any info on this model or edition. Its a J-185 with Sunburst just a little darker that the usual burst acoustics. No serial number on the head stock just a custom shop logo.  Orange tag has 01027071 and appears to have Ren's signature on it. Looks legit but never can tell these days. Any added info would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Does the label actually say “TV Edition” ?

My  ‘07 185 was spec’ed as a True Vintage for the Japanese market, with a serial close to yours, with no mention of True Vintage. My ‘07 J-45 True Vintage  also did not have mention of TV on it’s label, in this first year of the True Vintage line. One thing that they all did have was the uber-heavy  light brown “Cali girl“ case with the pink lining. they also had no factory onboard electronics.

If you're able to post pictures of it here some of us might be able to help. With regard to the head stock sometimes the serial number is on there but it's very lightly embossed in the wood and difficult to see. However i have an early J-45 TV and it doesn't have the serial number on the head stock rather it's printed on the neck block and visible through the sound hole so that would be something to check with this J-185.

I have an SJ-200 custom that was signed by Ren, also on the orange label

12 minutes ago, 62burst said:

That’s the case. And that’s a good sign. So, it literally could be a custom True Vintage, what with the special ’burst, abalone rosette, and firestripe guard. And signed. 

So far, so good.

This sounds about right to me.  Nice guitar!

46 minutes ago, Pete Stone said:

Thanks guys. Can’t wait to see it

uh-oh. I thought you'd already played the guitar. Hopefully, you've got some familiarity with maple guitars, and have an idea of what to expect. The slinky comfort of the J-185 shape is well known, and the vibe/looks are apparent, but aside from being a fine strong rhythm strummer, they're can be a challenge if you want to get some low tone out of them, but it can be done.

Hey y’all ain’t kidding about the case being “uber heavy”. I just looked at the shipping weight. 25 lbs!!    Hope he didn’t put bricks in there with it.  lol.  And I’m gonna love it with or without alotta low tone. Been looking for this ol girl for a long time now. 

• Like 1