Gibson Brands Forums

The Rolling Stones New Album

IanHenry

Most new Albums of the past 40+ years are lucky to have 1 good Song no matter who the Artist is.. Young, Middle Aged or Old.. The Renaissance has been over a long long time..

If “The Stones” tour again near me & it isn’t a huge hassle to get tickets & the prices aren’t ridiculous, I’d like to see them again.. Mostly to hear the old stuff & to have fun…

As for the Album, if it has 1 good song it will be as good as any Album of the past 40+ years… Maybe that’s all the Industry shoots for anymore….

On 8/24/2023 at 6:32 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Beggars, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers is all you need. I do like Some Girls too. 

I agree!..>I really like The Stones, but I’ve reached an age where my memories are more important than ever before.  I won’t listen much to the new stuff, but I love the songs that made them The Stones.  I don’t doubt their abilities and talent.  Keith can still play, Ron Wood has been a guitar wizard for years, and Jagger can still “not” sing and run all over the stadium, but I like the older stuff.  I hope they play and/or tour as long as they like, but I hope they are also enjoying their families.  God bless The Stones!

On 8/24/2023 at 8:05 PM, sparquelito said:

I own exactly two Rolling Stones albums.

Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
That's enough I reckon.

And over the years, I have performed certain Stones songs, and on a fairly frequent basis at that.
Angie
2000 Man
Satisfaction
Wild Horses

I respect the history and legacy of the Rolling Stones, really I do.

I hope the new album is a smashing success, really I do.
But I'll wait awhile to see if any of the songs rise to the level of the three listed above.

Paul McCartney.   KISS.  The Rolling Stones.   AC DC.  Even Neil Finn.
All have had every opportunity to knock me out with new releases in recent decades.

None have delivered.
🤔

AC/DC's 2020 Power Up  album was surprisingly good, in my opinion. Maybe I liked it because it simply had that AC/DC hard driving vibe about it.  Interestingly, I can't recite a single lyric from it, nor can I hum any melody or guitar line from the album, as I write this. But, I sure know that I've cranked the heck out of it many times in the car and at home. 

Took my teen aged daughter to see KISS in Chicago a few years ago, for their "End of the Road" tour. We both loved it! (It was her first live concert experience. Took her to see Elton John's "Farewell Yellow Brick Road" concert in Chicago in August of 2022, which was her 2nd concert. Lucky kid!) 

deIvXPH.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

AC/DC's 2020 Power Up  album was surprisingly good, in my opinion. Maybe I liked it because it simply had that AC/DC hard driving vibe about it.  Interestingly, I can't recite a single lyric from it, nor can I hum any melody or guitar line from the album, as I write this. But, I sure know that I've cranked the heck out of it many times in the car and at home.

Yes, Power Up is a very good album. I thought Rock or Bust was great too. A lot of people get stuck on a certain album by a band  and don't believe they can make any good albums after, which is nonsense! 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cody78 said:

Yes, Power Up is a very good album. I thought Rock or Bust was great too. A lot of people get stuck on a certain album by a band  and don't believe they can make any good albums after, which is nonsense! 

Thanks for the comment about "Rock or Bust" as I am not familiar with it. Had a kid almost 18 years ago and admittedly missed nearly a decade of new music whilst raising a daughter as a new Dad. I defiantly exposed her to tons of music during that time, and she absolutely loves old school rock, but we just jammed the albums I already had. I'm going to go to YouTube right now to check "Rock or Bust" out! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Thanks for the comment about "Rock or Bust" as I am not familiar with it. Had a kid almost 18 years ago and admittedly missed nearly a decade of new music whilst raising a daughter as a new Dad. I defiantly exposed her to tons of music during that time, and she absolutely loves old school rock, but we just jammed the albums I already had. I'm going to go to YouTube right now to check "Rock or Bust" out! 

Hope you enjoy it. My favourites off it are the title track, Play Ball and Baptism by Fire.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Most new Albums of the past 40+ years are lucky to have 1 good Song no matter who the Artist is.. Young, Middle Aged or Old.. The Renaissance has been over a long long time...

Cheerful comments. That's quite a statement to make. Do you actually like music? 

2 hours ago, cody78 said:

Cheerful comments. That's quite a statement to make. Do you actually like music? 

Do you think every song on every Album is great? Do you think every song played on Radio is great?

I love good Music.. Most of it for a long time has been filler.. In fact a lot of it seems like the same song over & over. Just slightly different Lyrics..

It’s impossible to write a Classic every time.. There is a reason why only a handful of Songs make it to Number 1…

I have Sirius Radio in my Vehicles.. Even with that I seem to spend a lot of time changing Stations.. 

Edited by Larsongs

3 hours ago, 'Scales said:

all this discussion....I'm almost starting to get a bit excited about a Stones album for the first time in decades now [scared]

I heard Paul McCartney plays bass on one song. That drummer, Jordan, its his first or last name, who plays with Keef is in the seat now. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I love good Music.. Most of it for a long time has been filler.. In fact a lot of it seems like the same song over & over. Just slightly different Lyrics..

Fair enough, especially if we are talking about top 40 pop music...there are many songs with recycled chord progressions for sure. Am, F, C, G is one particular one that seems to get used a lot in various keys. Doesn't always mean it's bad, just means it's been done before. I wouldn't say a song getting to number 1 is a sign of quality...I remember Mr. Blobby getting to No.1 over here and also a little known girl group called The Spice Girls. Whilst nothing wrong with their songs technically, they were just songs for kids and teenage girls really.  There's plenty of interesting and great music that never charts. I do think that there have been lots of amazing albums over the past 40 years though that were full of great songs, so that is why I was disagreeing with you. 

Edited by cody78

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Now I've seen the whole thing. I still like it, but think I might tire of it if I was hearing it a lot. 

I'm not so used to hearing them with such a glitzy sounding production. 

You could always throw on the one where it sounds like the microphones where placed under a pile pillows aka Exile On Main St.

• Confused 1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:10 AM, cody78 said:

Hope you enjoy it. My favourites off it are the title track, Play Ball and Baptism by Fire.

I have listened to it straight thru 3 times now.  Obviously the first time was right after you recommended it, and the second & third were last  week while doing some house work. One of the first things I noticed was how Rock the House had a Zeppelin vibe that was unexpected but cool. Hard Times and Sweet Candy drew my attention as well. Play Ball and Baptism would be my next favs. The album defiantly motivated me, and made boring house work more enjoyable. I think I prefer Power Up over Rock or Bust possibly because of the "fatter" mix, (Wall of Sound Specter esque). For me, Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution, Have a Drink on me, Dirty Deeds, and Thunderstruck are my all time favs. They set quite a high bar for the band to surpass. Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 4:19 AM, cody78 said:

The overall best album (which charted) I can think of since 2000 is probably “In Rainbows”.

Bodysnatchers was the biggest hit and a great song. 15 Step was used pretty prominently in the movie Twilight which like it or not was a cultural phenomenon that year

Almost nobody on the forum will like this music because of Thom Yorke’s voice but for me that was an album where every single track was a masterpiece and really pushed what is possible creatively and in the studio