Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Standard or Epiphone G-400

InfiniteSingularity

I think Hbomb speaks truth. I wonder sometimes why people buy guitars they hate. So many people talk about how terrible the Epi they own is. Bad action, terrible intonation, muddy pickups & so on. I guess they were clueless when they were doing the buying. Get an Epi G-400. Take your time picking it out & get a good one. They all have slight variances & as you check 'em out you should find one that "feels" right for you. Take the time to set it up for your playing style. Get the action comfortable for you and put some good strings on it. Make sure the nut & bridge are smooth. Lastly, after you have done these things, set the intonation & you should have a guitar you are very happy with. If I were buying a Gibson I would go through the same procedure, Most are rarely to my liking when I bring 'em home.

I own 1 Gibby & 2 Epi's & I like 'em all. Now if you had a grand burning a hole in yer pocket, that new Raw power in natural finish is looking nice................

Raw Power is definately worth a look but I wonder how quickly they will start appearing in real shops as opposed to online sources because I really wouldn't want to buy one (or recommend one) before I had seen one.

Also not the recent price drop on the SG faded specials - now talk about resale values!

Agreed, I would never buy a guitar site unseen, or that I haven't played for that matter. When it comes to the faded specials though, I know some like 'em, I can't get by the looks. They just seem to me like a half finished guitar. I need the shine & finish of a classic SG but hey thats just me. I 'm not real fond of the bat wing pick guards either, again, just a personal pref.

I think Hbomb speaks truth. I wonder sometimes why people buy guitars they hate. So many people talk about how terrible the Epi they own is. Bad action' date=' terrible intonation, muddy pickups & so on. I guess they were clueless when they were doing the buying. Get an Epi G-400. Take your time picking it out & get a good one. They all have slight variances & as you check 'em out you should find one that "feels" right for you. Take the time to set it up for your playing style. Get the action comfortable for you and put some good strings on it. Make sure the nut & bridge are smooth. Lastly, after you have done these things, set the intonation & you should have a guitar you are very happy with. If I were buying a Gibson I would go through the same procedure, Most are rarely to my liking when I bring 'em home.

I own 1 Gibby & 2 Epi's & I like 'em all. Now if you had a grand burning a hole in yer pocket, that new Raw power in natural finish is looking nice................ [/quote']Well, only the neck pickup is really that muddy, but it's more of a deep rich sound. I am comfortable with the action, the neck feels right. I really like the epiphone. I think I'll just get that

Well' date=' only the neck pickup is really that muddy, but it's more of a deep rich sound. I am comfortable with the action, the neck feels right. I really like the epiphone. I think I'll just get that[/quote']

Good for you, man. You won't be losing any sleep opting for the Epi. If you like it, that's the main thing that matters, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Always go with what your gut (or in this case ears and fingers) tells ya'! Then you can't go wrong! [-(

H-Bomb

Im still a noob to the whole guitar thing, but like others have said, dont jump into it too quick. Weather you're spending the money on the Epi OR the Gibson you're still spending a fair amount of money, and I would hate to just waste it on something that I wanted RIGHT NOW!!! (Ive done this FAR to many times, being the crazy 20 year old that I am). Again im just backing up what these nice people have said, sit down, check them both out and get a REALLY good feel for both and base you're descion on what YOU (and only you) think. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Ok, I like these posts and see everybodies opinions, so like a-holes, I have one too.

Some time ago I got a SG Classic and I love the P 90's, and yes she is a gem, but I wanted a backup rat, so...

First I got a Dot Blond, and it sounded like crap.

I brought her back and got a G-400, it sounded like crap and played like crap

Then I brought that back and got another Dot, tabacco. Well she's a sweet as a spring morning. I can't figure it out, the fret board is decient and the it sounds like honey.

So but who cares, I just play the thing and have fun. ie, no of course I'm not professional, just a week end warrior. And I can't really call my Dot a rat, everyone comments on the sound.

Yeah, we're not talking about Dots but it's just an example, I got a really nice guitar for a great price and so I feel like I made a good choice and it meets my needs.

Peace (of mind)

Thanks guys. Your comments have really helped my decision.

I just want to clear a few things up with you. Firstly' date=' I do not have the money for either of them. I'm still saving for the Epi. Secondly, some have asked about a Gibson SG special. I tried that, and i really, [i']really[/i] didn't like it. Thirdly, the muddy tone. I actually don't mind the muddy tone of the epi (to be honest I actually really like it), but I havent played the Standard yet (my local store doesn't have one in).

I haven't made a decision yet, but I really like the epi. I'm pretty sure since I don't have much money I'll get the Epi, then buy a Gibson in a few years time.

Thanks a lot people. :)

Son, you need to repent! You should never be fine with muddy tone! Hehe. The Standard is what you want. That bridge pickup is crisp bro. And the way it sounds when you're sustaining a note...ooh lala!

Don't buy generic sneakers.

I ALMOST bought a used Sg faded for 600 bucks a few months back.Instead I paid 35 bucks to rent it for a month.It was a waste of 35 bucks. I really want a 61 RI but I would have to sell my AJ to do it. I'm almost there though... We'll see if these price drops migrate to Canada.

Thanks guys. Your comments have really helped my decision.

I just want to clear a few things up with you. Firstly' date=' I do not have the money for either of them. I'm still saving for the Epi. Secondly, some have asked about a Gibson SG special. I tried that, and i really, [i']really[/i] didn't like it. Thirdly, the muddy tone. I actually don't mind the muddy tone of the epi (to be honest I actually really like it), but I havent played the Standard yet (my local store doesn't have one in).

I haven't made a decision yet, but I really like the epi. I'm pretty sure since I don't have much money I'll get the Epi, then buy a Gibson in a few years time.

Thanks a lot people. [-X

Hi Infinite, if your really interested in buying an SG but can't decide wether you want an Epiphone or a Gibson,

I have an Epiphone SG customed that I'm selling on ebay right now. The auction will end in 6 days from now.

What I have up for auction is a 2007 Epiphone SG G-400 in cherry with two Gibson Tony Iommi Humbuckers.

Not the 2-wire conductor Epiphone pickups, these are authentic Gibson pickups that i bought at $300+ together.

Along with that I took off the grover tuners and mounted on Gibson Vintage Tuners and I also took out the old pots and wiring that was in the Epiphone and I put in a much better wiring kit just like the ones used in the Gibson SG's.

I'm not sure if your a big fan of Black Sabbath but Tony Iommi is what inspired me to get an SG in the first place.

I'm a big fan of his style and music and this guitar delivered that "Iron Man" tone I was looking for.

You can check out more detail about the guitar and what it includes on the ebay link here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=260409702706

This guitar hasn't dissapointed me and is a lot more powerful than any Epiphone I've come across.

Archived