Gibson Brands Forums

Standard Les Paul Junior and Special

MackTheKnife

The standard Les Paul Special in TV yellow and the Les Paul Junior caught my attention. 

Would it make sense to own both?

The Junior I played the other day had such a nice tone. I compared it to the bridge pickup of standard 50s Les Paul and liked the Junior better. Couldn't compare it to a special, though.

But I guess the Special would sound the same as the Junior, with the benefit of an additional pickup?

Should I keep my eyes open for a special, or get the junior?

Would it make sense to own both?

I do have both.  2015 both.  I thought the Special would bring a little more to the table than the Special.  But honestly, to me it doesn't.  Kinda defies logic, but the  2nd pup just doesn't give it more usable versatility.  I'll take the Junior over the Special all day long. It wouldn't kill me to give up the Special.

I just played the Special and the Junior back to back in the store. I don't know if it was just the strings or the setup, but the Junior sounded noticeably different compared to the bridge pickup of the Special.  The action seemed a little lower on the Junior. The sound of the Junior was clearer and louder to my ear. Like a good Telecaster but fatter.

I have also the same willing. My heart goes more to the special. I did some researches and all goes to either the epiphone Les Paul special or the Gibson les Paul junior. Here a test from Andertons that you might find interesting on the subject: 

The Gibson les Paul special has something more than the epiphone. But for the price of the Gibson you might find the combo Gibson junior + epiphone special 🙂

hope it helps