Gibson Brands Forums

Inventory of models of Les Paul Classic

Foutoucour

Hey everyone,

In '96, my first electric guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul Classic. In 2021, I bought a Classic again, but it was a Gibson this time. I've always loved Les Paul Classics for their mix of modernity and tradition.

I've started collecting them now to own one of each Les Paul Classic model. It's going to be a long journey, but I'm excited. The new addition is a fantastic Guitar of the week #14, the Classic Antique with H-90. What a beast!

A few months ago, I started compiling a list of all the Les Paul Classic models produced over the years. So far, I've listed 37 models, including the Classic 1960, Guitars of the Week, and the more recent 2018 models with P90 or the HP. I thought it might be helpful to share the list. You can find it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ukvQkv98_Ch0cBPkOdpLOL_H3MSvgk9Psdpj381DL7A/edit?usp=sharing

The list includes web pages and reverb listings from each year of production. I've been searching for all the models over the years, but I'd like to know if any are missing from the list. 

Feel free to do so if you have any input or would like to contribute to the list. Also, let me know if any additional details would be valuable.

Edited by Foutoucour

Great, I can see you've put a lot of time and work into this.

I have a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique in Tobacco Sunburst, it came with  57 Classic and Classic Plus pickups and weighs in at 7lbs 5oz so it's something of a lightweight!

It's my go-to guitar, despite being in the company of more exotic & considerably more expensive  Les Paul's, I just like it.

zw0IG41.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That's a beauty. You mention it is your go-to guitar. Is anything special more than the weight?

My 2007 GOTW #14 is also a lightweight. I wonder what is the magic. My Classic 2021 seems like a tank compared to it. The 2021 has the 9-hole weight relief. Does anyone know the magic that was cast on the Antiques?

Edited by Foutoucour

Thank you for that.  I came about the guitar with a twist of faith, I'd played guitar in my youth but suddenly had a desire to start again, so I bought an Epiphone Les Paul and one of those small Marshall transistor amps thinking that would do the job (when I gave up playing in the late 70's transistor guitar amps were something of a rarity and they were awful but 35 years later I figured they must now be good, oh how wrong can you be!)

It didn't take me long before I started to think I needed to go back to a Gibson so I started looking around shops at Les Paul's but everyone that I tried I kept thinking they were no better than my Epiphone, so I was starting to give up on my quest.

A couple of months later I had to take my car into a town for a service and was left killing time waiting for my car so I wandered into a music shop that had a guitar department in the cellar and at one end there was a display of Gibson's on floor stands but still didn't see much of interest, then hidden behind everything else right in the corner was the Classic Antique which I picked up and plugged into an amp and thought This is it! Incidentally, the shop had given up its Gibson dealership and was selling off its stock. 

I didn't know what I'd bought because I was blissfully unaware there were so many different models of Les Paul, so I emailed Gibson with the serial number and they told me what I'd got.

I don't know what is special about the guitar, I've bought a few since (I have four Les Pauls) including my R8, all excellent guitars but I always come back to my Classic.

Regarding the weight, I recently picked up a new Classic in a shop and was shocked by how much it weighed considering, as I understand it, my guitar has the same weight relief.

I would never sell my Classic, it's here for life 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

That's a great list.

My departed Zebrawood GOTW was really light, my 2018 Classic weighs almost as much as a Standard.  That was a surprise.

Yes, I was shocked when I picked one up, I can't understand why there's such a massive difference considering they are both weight relieved.

Edited by IanHenry

• 1 month later...

That's a nice Classic Antique. There was one the same here back in the day that I considered buying but it had a very plain and mismatched top. Also the fretboard inlays were VERY green. Not too pretty so I passed.

Edited by codename

15 hours ago, codename said:

That's a nice Classic Antique. There was one the same here back in the day that I considered buying but it had a very plain and mismatched top. Also the fretboard inlays were VERY green. Not too pretty so I passed.

Thank you 🙂