Gibson Brands Forums

need info...

camila

hey

Ive decided to get a new electric, Gibson sg, (not quite sure on the model yet) and was wondering how good are Orange amplifiers. are there any suggestions for other tube amps and if it would be OK to just keep my fender g-DEC and use the sg with that or will it be an injustice to my new rig?

hey

Ive decided to get a new electric' date=' Gibson sg, (not quite sure on the model yet) and was wondering how good are Orange amplifiers. are there any suggestions for other tube amps and if it would be OK to just keep my fender g-DEC and use the sg with that or will it be an injustice to my new rig?[/quote']

Hi Camila. I would go the tube amp if you can - you will appreciate the tone of your SG a lot more.

Orange are fine amps. An alternative is Fender - the Blues Junior gets a lot of positive comments here, but it depends on how much power you want. If you need more power, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is worth a shot - 40 watts.

There is also the Australian brand Ulbrick - they have a new 5 watt valve amp called a Firebottle. It has only just been released. But it may not have enough grunt for want you want.

I tried a Blues Junior as my first tube amp to play with my Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany. I bought the amp new. As I played it more and more - the amp just sounded worse and worse. Lots of people mod these amps so I upgraded the tubes and then the speaker. Even with that the amp continued to sound tinny and harsh to me. I ended up getting rid of it.

For a small, lower power amp, I now have a Gibson Les Paul Junior GA-5. It sounds great and far better than the Blues Jr. ever did. If you are looking for a simple smaller tube amp (it's still quite loud) you might want to look into the GA-5. They are often on ebay or sometimes you can find them in stores (used or new in box.) Usually about $300 for used one in great condition.

I have a larger amp too, a GA-42RVT. I got for next to nothing from a local store. It's got more controls and two 12" speakers so it's a different animal. But the GA-5 holds its own. It's not as full sounding but it does have its own voice.

I noticed the other day that Vox has a new portable head called the Night Train. You can hook it up to any speaker setup (Vox has a two speaker cab but is also coming out with a one speaker portable setup.) Might be worth looking into to.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/modernclassic/nighttrain/

I tried a Blues Junior as my first tube amp to play with my Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany. I bought the amp new. As I played it more and more - the amp just sounded worse and worse. Lots of people mod these amps so I upgraded the tubes and then the speaker. Even with that the amp continued to sound tinny and harsh to me. I ended up getting rid of it.

For a small' date=' lower power amp, I now have a Gibson Les Paul Junior GA-5. It sounds great and far better than the Blues Jr. ever did. If you are looking for a simple smaller tube amp (it's still quite loud) you might want to look into the GA-5. They are often on ebay or sometimes you can find them in stores (used or new in box.) Usually about $300 for used one in great condition.

I have a larger amp too, a GA-42RVT. I got for next to nothing from a local store. It's got more controls and two 12" speakers so it's a different animal. But the GA-5 holds its own. It's not as full sounding but it does have its own voice.

I noticed the other day that Vox has a new portable head called the Night Train. You can hook it up to any speaker setup (Vox has a two speaker cab but is also coming out with a one speaker portable setup.) Might be worth looking into to.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/modernclassic/nighttrain/

[/quote']

I agree - the GA 5 is great. I have one myself. It is a wonderful amp. I did not suggest it because they are not available anymore. Gibson no longer makes them and they are sold out everywhere - except second hand via ebay.

No problem. I guess my point was more that given my experience - I'd rather have a second-hand GA-5 that's in very good condition than a new Blues Jr. On my guitar the GA-5 sounds so much nicer. Also, if you can find a good one used, it's usually about 1/2 the price of a new Blues Jr.

No problem. I guess my point was more that given my experience - I'd rather have a second-hand GA-5 that's in very good condition than a new Blues Jr. On my guitar the GA-5 sounds so much nicer. Also' date=' if you can find a good one used, it's usually about 1/2 the price of a new Blues Jr.[/quote']

Yeah that GA5 is great isnt it. You'd know better than me on the Blues Jr Jon - I have only tried one in the shop. I was just going on a few other comments in the Forum.

Its funny. My Fender Deluxe has amazing tone, but it is quite different to the GA5. I love them both, sometimes I like one better than the other and vice versa.

Archived