Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the new Gibson Limited 59’ PAF clones?

• Company Grip changed the title to Thoughts on the new Gibson Limited 59’ PAF clones?
1 hour ago, 10PoundLester said:

I would bet the farm the average player couldn't hear the difference between these and any other "PAF" clones. If you think about it, every humbucker made is a type of "PAF" clone.

And none sound like the real deal IMO.. I've owned a 1959 Gibson ES345 & have been chasing that sound ever since I stupidly sold it.. I've bought lots of Gibson's all claiming to be the real deal but weren't including the LP's & ES's I have now.. All are good but they do not sound like my old 59...

I'm very tempted to jump on one of these Sets.. But, they're probably all solld out already..

You guys catch that this comes with double white bobbins? I think this must be related to that recent DiMarzio lawsuit 

The display case is cute but a little confusing to me. Are you supposed to not install the pickups so they can be displayed in the case? Do you install the 59 pickups and then put the old pickups in the display case? If you install these do you ruin the value as a collectible? 

I wonder how these differ from the custom bucker which is supposedly an exact paf copy and all that.  I wonder how this competes with something like Throback where they are using Gibson’s original winding machines. Gibson can analyze an original pickup and reproduce it with CNC, throback just reproduces the components as accurately as possible and then lets an original winding machine do that part of the magic. 

The custombucker is like $600 for a pair. I wonder if the extra $400 gets you a completely different pickup or essentially the same pickup with special bobbins and display case etc

I saw this an an email from Gibson. I immediately thought, whoever buys these will just keep them in the display case as collectors items.  It's like the potential of how good they might be, is more valuable than the certainty of actually installing them and finding out.    

Edited by saturn
spelling eror

3 hours ago, saturn said:

I saw this an an email from Gibson. I immediately thought, whoever buys these will just keep them in the display case as collectors items.  It's like the potential of how good they might be, is more valuable than the certainty of actually installing them and finding out.    

Don’t worry, I’m putting them in a guitar the instant that I can. 😜 

Edited by Company Grip

Limited to 1000 Sets.. $995.00 is steep but if Gibson really did get them right & really capture the true Sound of the 59 PAF Humbucker Pickups they’re worth the price..

I can’t find a Youtube demo? I’d sure like to hear some..

Edited by Larsongs

On 1/18/2024 at 4:14 PM, Larsongs said:

And none sound like the real deal IMO.. I've owned a 1959 Gibson ES345 & have been chasing that sound ever since I stupidly sold it.. I've bought lots of Gibson's all claiming to be the real deal but weren't including the LP's & ES's I have now.. All are good but they do not sound like my old 59...

I'm very tempted to jump on one of these Sets.. But, they're probably all solld out already..

At the moment, yes. Last I heard, more of the 1,000 total will be available soon. Keep an eye on the website!

On 1/19/2024 at 7:58 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

The display case is cute but a little confusing to me. Are you supposed to not install the pickups so they can be displayed in the case? Do you install the 59 pickups and then put the old pickups in the display case? If you install these do you ruin the value as a collectible? 

You can leave them in the case if you're a collector and want an untouched set. You can take them out of the case and install them, in which case (pun not intended...) the case can be used to hold whatever else you want - other pickups, picks, slides, capos, etc. The insert that holds the pickups can be removed, IIRC.

I have no idea if installing them will lower their "collector's value" - while I have a metric ton of gear, including some vintage stuff, I'm not a collector. I use what I purchase. YMMV. 

It took me ages to finally be in the store with one of the legendary Tom Murph aged guitars. I don't play electrics anymore, and if I did I would not buy a set of $1000 pickups. Someone will. One every minute. Can the people who have stupid amounts of money to spend tell me what its like to purchase something like this?

On 1/29/2024 at 6:04 AM, Company Grip said:

🤫  (did it)

Gibsons $1000 "1959 Humbucker" PAF in a $400 Guitar?!?
https://youtu.be/FbHnPxxkX1I

Do you have any custom buckers to compare with? I’ve got it in my head that these are custombuckers with double cream bobbins, collector swag, and maybe more accurate covers if not the same covers 

I feel like this was done as a direct result of the dimarzio lawsuit 

3 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Do you have any custom buckers to compare with? I’ve got it in my head that these are custombuckers with double cream bobbins, collector swag, and maybe more accurate covers if not the same covers 

Do cream bobbins really increase the price that much? Something I can't see that is under a pickup cover.

9 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Funny you ask, I compare the pickups to Custom Buckers in the video. Cheers! 

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Do cream bobbins really increase the price that much? Something I can't see that is under a pickup cover.

You’re asking if Gibson would charge $400 for an exclusive finish, limited run, and special case. The answer is obviously yes lol

5 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

You’re asking if Gibson would charge $400 for an exclusive finish, limited run, and special case. The answer is obviously yes lol

I know it was ridiculous of me to think the greediest guitar company would not charge a premium for anything they make or slap their name on.

Why doesn't Gibson just get out of the Standard/ Studio/ Special/Jr. game and just make what they really want. Limited runs of ultra high dollar guitars for collectors to scoop up.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've always supported Gibson selling overpriced stuff.  It keeps the Standards and Studios priced a little lower.

I also support people paying too much for stuff.  It keeps them happy.

There's no way that modern management can just make good stuff for a good price.  They have to make crazy expensive stuff until everybody's laughing and then they back off a hair but still have to try stuff to leave their mark on the world.  Next they'll try something else to set the world on fire.  Like selling reissues of Orville Gibson's old underwear or something.

Just don't ever smash a Gibson SG publicly up like Hank Whatshisname did.  That was the beginning of the end for him.  Saying the old stuff wasn't good anymore and putting out the X-guitar and Robot tuning and that stuff.  Like the person who gets their car stuck in the mud and just floors it until the car is buried up to it's neck.

22 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Just don't ever smash a Gibson SG publicly up like Hank Whatshisname did.  That was the beginning of the end for him.  Saying the old stuff wasn't good anymore and putting out the X-guitar and Robot tuning and that stuff.  Like the person who gets their car stuck in the mud and just floors it until the car is buried up to it's neck.

Those were the good old days. You never knew what LP sig model was coming out this week when he was King. He is destroying the stuff his company makes. 

George is looking at him in the pic and going what a idiot. Back to reading my book.

Xueyj5D.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Next they'll try something else to set the world on fire.  Like selling reissues of Orville Gibson's old underwear or something.

If we ever do a reissue of this outfit, I am sooo in.  😉 

ohgibson-costume-360.jpg

1 minute ago, Phil OKeefe said:

If we ever do a reissue of this outfit, I am sooo in.  😉 

ohgibson-costume-360.jpg

What would you say that look is? Why did he not get a wardrobe stylist? That hat completes the look.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What would you say that look is? Why did he not get a wardrobe stylist? That hat completes the look.

I could not even begin to describe that "look." Since I mainly wear jeans (winter), board shorts (summer), t-shirts, and Vans, I must bow to Orville's far superior fashion sense.  😄

PS For all I know, he may have had a wardrobe stylist, and that may have been their finest moment.