Gibson Brands Forums

Kluson Keystones

I swapped the single-rings for a set of double ring Kluson keystones from ThroBack.  Kept the original bushings and screws as there's no difference there.  Just a cosmetic thing but I've always preferred the look of the double rings.....and black screws on the t-rod cover for a 'blacked-out' headstock.  If I'm not mistaken the only Gibson acoustic that sported double rings from the factory was the J-160E in the early to late 60s.  They were used on many electric models in the same time period.

Also slapped on a set of Martin Retro monels and they do sound very good over the maple body.  I liked them on a J-45 I used to own..........figured they're worth a listen on this one.

SYw54tr.jpg

fb7yfZ6.jpg

Edited by Buc McMaster

6 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I like the Keystones, they just say "Gibson". But, there seems to be no love for them. Except you and me, I guess.

They stripped right off for me and many others, two, maybe 3 or 4 gigs in.  Grovers went on back then, still do for some of us.

rct

6 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I like the Keystones, they just say "Gibson". But, there seems to be no love for them. Except you and me, I guess.

I’m with you 100%, love the Keystones, detest Grovers, that seem to come on too many Gibson’s. 

If I recall the 1960 Hummingbird also sported Kluson Deluxe tuners with Tulip buttons.  The double ring Tulip buttons begin appearing in 1964.

The most radical change in tuner buttons I have ever gone with is to switch from white to back.  While admittedly Tulip buttons would not be my first choice other than on an instrument which originally sported them, I agree that the double ring style is the more pleasing to the eye.

Edited by zombywoof

There was no intention here to claim keystones are better than some other machine head.............just a change in cosmetics to personal preference.  Grovers have been a big player for decades and are as good as anything else out there.  They are heavy relative to keystones and often make an instrument head heavy which can make a guitar feel weird to some...........including me.  Can't recall ever having a tuner fail on any guitar I've owned though I'm sure it happens.

8 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

There was no intention here to claim keystones are better than some other machine head.............just a change in cosmetics to personal preference.  Grovers have been a big player for decades and are as good as anything else out there.  They are heavy relative to keystones and often make an instrument head heavy which can make a guitar feel weird to some...........including me.  Can't recall ever having a tuner fail on any guitar I've owned though I'm sure it happens.

While I have never had a set of tuners "fail" they can get worn enough where they loosen up to the point you will hear them rattle.  I have that with the Waverly tuners on my '32 L1 when I first pull the guitar from its case causing me to have to putz around to get them in that sweet spot where the noise stops.