Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J200 Scratchplate issue

Hi. My 2008 Gibson J200 True Vintage VOS, of only 167 were ever made has issues with the scratch plate curling up.

Contacted Gibson last year who said they could do nothing for me.

I offered to pay for new one and to pay postage to uk only to be told they dont sell the scratch plate.

Which seems very odd to me.

Can anyone tell me where i can get one of these please.

A Google search for "J200 pick guard" returns a whole bunch of options..............some obviously cheap junk, others look quite good.  These are probably the best available though they are expensive: J-200 Guards

PS:  the one you have can likely be removed, flattened and reinstalled.

Edited by Buc McMaster

I think I read somewhere you can remove them with naphtha and dental floss?    Then heat with a hair dryer (not a clothes dryer)  and put under a stack of books.    

DISCLAIMER -    I've not done this.  I'm not a luthier, only play one on TV.   Don't know what kind of glue you'd use to re-attach.  Read some music supply stores sell double sided 3m adhesive tape for such a thing.  My SJ200 p/g is semi - transparent so you can see the wood/rosette through it.  Wouldn't want to see globs of glue through it.   

But if it's only lifting and not curling - like mine was -  I'd just heat it a small bit and put some extra-thin double sided tape in the gap with a book on top.  That worked for me, still holding after 10 years. 

7 hours ago, John Fawcett said:

I offered to pay for new one and to pay postage to uk only to be told they dont sell the scratch plate.

Did Gibson say why  they couldn't help? Isn't their warranty coverage very limited outside of the US?

. . . and just how badly is your pickguard curled? (pic would help)

There has been much on this forum about lifting, flattening, and generally about replacing the pickguard:

The pickguard on my HD-28 has lifted and wrinkled.  My granddaughter goes to KU; planning to visit soon and take it in to Mass Steet Music to have it fixed.  I know they can remove and latten it but I'm thinking of seeing about some sort of tortoise patten guard to replace the black.

On 1/23/2024 at 3:07 PM, John Fawcett said:

Hi. My 2008 Gibson J200 True Vintage VOS, of only 167 were ever made has issues with the scratch plate curling up.

Which seems very odd to me.

Can anyone tell me where i can get one of these please.

Royally Rummy

Hi everyone, I’m looking to buy a used Gibson J200. The bridge and pick guard are lifting off the top. What are some probable causes? Unfortunately I can’t afford an issue free J200. Grateful for any advice.

Edited by cayine

Could be 2 different things.  Scratch plates attached differently than bridges and tend to curl or lift.   Relatively easy to fix as per above. 

Bridge ?!   Probably either or both too little humidity and/or  strings too heavy, tight.  Might not be too hard for a luthier/good tech to fix. Issue is whenever the bridge plate underneath is OK.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:54 PM, Buc McMaster said:

A Google search for "J200 pick guard" returns a whole bunch of options..............some obviously cheap junk, others look quite good.  These are probably the best available though they are expensive: J-200 Guards

PS:  the one you have can likely be removed, flattened and reinstalled.

I replaced the pickguards on my J45 and Hummingbird, both of which were curling up and coming off the guitars, with new pickguards from MV-Customguitars. MV's products are not cheap, but they are good. As the company is based in Greece, the purchase and shipping within the EU was uncomplicated.
The pickguard on my 2016 J200 NA is also slowly starting to peel off, so it will probably need replacing in a while.
The often-discussed method of removing the pickguard, smoothing it out by heating and weighting it down and reattaching it with double-sided adhesive tape has unfortunately not worked at all on my two Gibsons. That's why I bought new parts.
Of course, I also had to remove the pickguards that were still partially stuck, using the method often described in the forum with lighter fluid and a thin thread. Everyone has to decide for themselves whether they are confident enough to do this themselves or go to a luthier.