Gibson Brands Forums

My awsome ES 175 Steve Howe signature...

DeVeeWee

Oh yeah' date=' she's perdy all right.

Beautiful finish.

They discontinued it because at the price the retailers are selling them, no one's buying. Instrumental Music in Santa Barbara, CA has one just sitting behind a glass case (at least it's in a good spot).[/quote']

Hi Californiaman!

Thanks for the compliments man, really appreciate it! It's a pitty they stop this serie, because we're talking here about an ES 175 reissue right from 1964( accidently my year of birth) with the unique tailpiece. In Belgium and even in big music stores in Germany you can still buy them(on line only) at reasonable prices which are not much different from the basic ES 175. Ckeck this out at Thomann's:

http://www.thomann.de/be/search_dir.html?sid=bab61c316000a39fc21d9871f44544da&xsid=bab61c316000a39fc21d9871f44544da&sw=Gibson+ES+175&x=10

&y=6

Best regards Californiaman, I do like your black version as well, never seen it before actually!

Kris,

Thx blkjazz' date='

From your avatar I can see you have a pretty ES-175 as well, but I'm not familiar with the finish(seems like a heritage cherry sunburst)

Kris,[/quote']

To me it looks like 'tri-burst' ...

Cool guitar -- what's different about it from an es 175? Just the bridge inlay & paint job, or other goodies too?

• 3 weeks later...
So glad I got mine before it was discontinued!

Ian, I can tell you're a happy man! I'm happy too that I can play the SH signature! Mine is a 2008 version, one of the last models... which year is yours?

:-k

• 3 weeks later...

Ian' date=' I can tell you're a happy man! I'm happy too that I can play the SH signature! Mine is a 2008 version, one of the last models... which year is yours?

=P~ [/quote']

Mine's a 2008 too. I had a lot of trouble getting hold of one, and when it arrived it went straight over to my tech as there was a dry solder joint on the back pickup. After a good setup and a change to 11-52 strings it's starting to play in nicely now. I'm so happy with it that I'm temporarily parting with my 30 year old 335 and sending it in for a full overhaul.

Even though I'm loving the SH-175, the thought of not having the 335 around for a while is tempting me to get hold of a 345 though! It's something I've always wanted....

Hi Colski, Are Nine,

I appreciate your compliments and sure does my SH as well! I've posted the pics just because I've rarely seen any of an ES-175 SH on the forum. Overall, I love the ES-175 very much, wether it's a black version, wine red, antique or the vintage sunburst. It's just an amazing piece of art to play jazz music with...

All the best,

Kris

I heard that recently Mr Howe has been playing a couple of these signature models rather than his own original '64 175, as it's been through the wars a bit after 45 years of constant gigging.

Apart from Steve, the only players ever to touch his original 175 have been Chuck Berry and Martin Taylor. Not even his guitar tech, he does all his own work on it.

I heard that recently Mr Howe has been playing a couple of these signature models rather than his own original '64 175' date=' as it's been through the wars a bit after 45 years of constant gigging.

Apart from Steve, the only players ever to touch his original 175 have been Chuck Berry and Martin Taylor. Not even his guitar tech, he does all his own work on it. [/quote']

Yeah Ian, I've been reading the same story about Steve's marriage with his original 175, on this site. Respect!!! Nevertheless, what I love the most on the SH signature isn't the name of the guitar but rather the spec's: grover tuners and the retro zig-zag tailpiece(although it has not the same dimensions as the original tailpiece, back from '64)

Yeah Ian' date=' I've been reading the same story about Steve's marriage with his original 175, on this site. Respect!!! Nevertheless, what I love the most on the SH signature isn't the name of the guitar but rather the spec's: grover tuners and the retro zig-zag tailpiece(although it has not the same dimensions as the original tailpiece, back from '64)[/quote']

I too really like the Grovers. Tuning is much more stable than on my 335, which is not what I would have expected from an instrument with a floating bridge and no stop-tailpiece. But then again the 335 has had 30+ years of heavy use!

I too really like the Grovers. Tuning is much more stable than on my 335' date=' which is not what I would have expected from an instrument with a floating bridge and no stop-tailpiece. But then again the 335 has had 30+ years of heavy use![/quote']

Yeah, tuning is much better with the Grovers compared to the Kluson green keys of my LP standard.

I'm certainly not the only ES-175 SH owner here on the forum, who are my 'compadres', peers, pairs, soortgenoten, kolegët, companys, eakaaslastega, társaik, rekan-rekan, coetanei, vršnjaka, ??, ??, vienaudžiem, bendraamžiais, shabhom, jevnaldrende, ??????????,pares, colegii, ???????????, ???????, vrstniki, compañeros, mga kapantay, meslektaslariniza, baïn beø,jämnåriga

PLEASE CONFIRM WITH PICTURES, NOT WITH TEXT IN NATIVE LANGUAGE...(Google Translate gave me a hand!)

=D>

Archived