Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone tell if this is a real Steinberger

52X

Hi all and Thanks for looking  A guy wants to trade me this but I am not familiar with Steinberger so I wanted to see if this looks familiar to anyone. I know it has a Steinberger bridge but you can easily buy them.  So a few things I noticed right off the bat is the back screws and selector screws are wrong and should be hex head but someone could have replaced those. Also, I think these had a 5 bolt pattern on ones without backplate?  There is a pickplate? and under the pickplate is no Steinberger logo but I'm thinking maybe it was sanded and just clear coated. And the last thing I noticed is it looks like a rosewood fretboard and shouldn't it be Ebony? All of these things I just mentioned is from one night of googling images and comparing so I'm not sure if I'm right about anything. It's just what stood out to me. Any help shedding light on this is greatly Appreciated.  -52X

Resized_received_7308259225956856.jpeg

Screenshot_20240124_102829_Gallery.jpg

In my opinion the answer to your question is...NO!

The body (if it was it was really messed up by someone) and the trem (can't tell because the picture of the trem is not complete) may have been on a Steinberger at one time but nothing else looks like any Steinberger I have ever seen. 

Steinbergers do not use wood on the necks, that was the main thing that set them apart. The Steinberger Spirit may have used wood and some parts guitar from Ed Roman may have used wood but none from Steinberger had any wood used in the neck.

The middle pickup looks like a trashed Hot Rail. Don't know what the others are.

Hope this helps!

6 hours ago, r2bflash said:

In my opinion the answer to your question is...NO!

The body (if it was it was really messed up by someone) and the trem (can't tell because the picture of the trem is not complete) may have been on a Steinberger at one time but nothing else looks like any Steinberger I have ever seen. 

Steinbergers do not use wood on the necks, that was the main thing that set them apart. The Steinberger Spirit may have used wood and some parts guitar from Ed Roman may have used wood but none from Steinberger had any wood used in the neck.

The middle pickup looks like a trashed Hot Rail. Don't know what the others are.

Hope this helps!

Thank You so much. Makes a lot of sense. I appreciate it. 

• Like 1