Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special 2005 - humbuckers not bucking hum!

Hey all, 

Any help with this would be really appreciated! Getting what sounds like single coil buzz on each humbucker but it's pretty much silent on the middle position. 

I've took a short video of the buzz and a quick picture of the wiring cavity. 

Took out the bridge post with the ground and it all looks OK. 

I just got a mini Fuzz Face which sounds amazing but pretty much unusable with the SG, it's killing me cos I absolutely love this guitar. 

https://streamable.com/ofidcp

https://ibb.co/BtNQcK5

The 1st thing to check for is dry solder joints. 

Looking at your pic (can't see the video) it looks as if some of the solder joints have lost their shine which may mean they are 'dry' and need re-doing.

Start with the joints to the output jack and see if that makes a difference, then the pot lugs that have been turned back on themselves and soldered to the pot casing.   Also the leaf switch; check the soldering and you can always crimp the 'leaves' with pliers to make them tighter, but I don't think that would be it. 

The original solder connections will have been made with an industrial, high-temperature soldering iron.  If you have a small 'craft' soldering iron it will not get to a high enough temperature to melt the solder.  You may know all this; but in case you don't, I'll continue.  Modern solder has the flux 'built in' but it is never enough in my experience. My soldering success rate has increased 100% since I started using separate flux out of a tin, to prepare the joints before trying to solder them.  Without a good layer of flux the solder just never sticks/joins.  I also have a good, powerful soldering station with a variable temp control so I can get the iron hot enough to melt and redo solder joints.  I would think a 45w iron is the absolute minimum and preferably a higher wattage.  The hotter the iron, the quicker you can do the job and that minimizes the risk of any heat damage to components or nearby joints.   If you aren't confident about soldering you should contact a good repairman.

Apologies if you knew all that already.  If you have the guitar set to one pickup, does turning down either tone control change the buzz?  Probably the guitar is wired so that if you turn either vol pot down completely there will be no output at all.

Good luck and best wishes.

Edited by jdgm

Thanks for the reply, I have to admit I didn't know a lot of what you mentioned so it's all a big help, thanks! 

I've reuploaded the video here: https://streamable.com/w8qmua

Someone on another forum said it was normal, but I'm sure it shouldn't have the same hum/buzz as the single coils on my strat. 

I can't tell where the buzz is going away with the tone rolled down, but it does seem to be a lot quieter, on either pickup. 

Can I just as what is the leaf switch? Not sure what you mean. Thanks again for the reply. 

5 hours ago, Harrison1986 said:

Thanks for the reply, I have to admit I didn't know a lot of what you mentioned so it's all a big help, thanks! 

I've reuploaded the video here: https://streamable.com/w8qmua

Someone on another forum said it was normal, but I'm sure it shouldn't have the same hum/buzz as the single coils on my strat. 

I can't tell where the buzz is going away with the tone rolled down, but it does seem to be a lot quieter, on either pickup. 

Can I just as what is the leaf switch? Not sure what you mean. Thanks again for the reply. 

The leaf switch is the pickup selector switch, if you look on the underside it has metal arms which are the 'leaves'.

I don't think it should buzz at all.