Gibson Brands Forums

50's Neck Vs. 60's Neck

DamienAzrael

Sure the 50's are better.............if you plan to use the neck as a baseball bat. But if you plan to play anything on the guitar except a bunch of chords then use a 60's neck.

Naw just kidding! It depends on the sise of your hands. Try the babe out before you buy, that means stay away from the internet (when you buy) and visit a guitar store.

I preferred the '60 neck. It was quite an influential part of what swung me towards my R0.

Then again; I dont have much contact between the crook of my thumb or my palm with the back of the neck. I can see how it would seem too shallow for the comfort of many people.

I've got both. I think for those who live mainly on the first 12 frets, the 50s version is just fine. Part of the distinctive sound of an LP is due to the fact that most folks *don't* venture much above that, primarily because the thick neck heel and chunky body just gets in the way of comfortable play up there. I like necks that are even thinner than the '60's version (and have more of a "D" shape), fretboards that are a bit wider and have a bit flatter radius, and I like smoother neck heels than you find on standard LPs. The closest I've found on a stock LP is the Axcess...

Archived