Gibson Brands Forums

The Best Guitar On The Planet…..

The best guitar on the planet is the one I grab of the wall in my music room.  Any other - be it in the US, UK,  Japan , etc  is irrelevant to me. Like if a tree falls in the forest and I"m not there - I know it won't land on me.   Electric, classical, bright, woody,  C-neck,  D-neck, wide nut,  Spruce,  Hog, Gibson, Martin, Breedlove...   Once you 've laid your money down - you've made the decision,  "This is the best guitar I can afford, therefore - the best on the planet for me."      

Among others,  I have a J-45.   Are there 'better' ones ?   Of course!   Are they more expensive ?   Probably.   Do I  ever wish I'd kept looking for a better one?   Nope.    Law of Diminishing Returns.  I'd rather have that $25K than the Monarch.   I already have an SJ-200 and it sounds better than my skill level warrants already ! 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

$2,000 seems tough for an acoustic. Generally too little for an American guitar and too much for an import

I did find a great deal for a new Guild D-40E  “USA Made In California” & pulled the trigger.. After negotiating the $1999.00 MAP price it was $1600.00 + Tax.. It is a great Guitar.. Spruce Top with Mahogany back & sides. LR Baggs Anthem Electronics.. Sunburst Satin finish.. Hard Case with built in Humidifier. Flawless. Plays & sounds great.. 

Excellent Guitar! Although, Guild has discontinued it.. They’ve changed the name to just D-40, removed the LR  Baggs & upped the price?

Edited by Larsongs

While it was about 8 or 9 years ago when I bought it, the 2001 j-45 (that was equipped with the mandatory repaired broken headstock), cost me $1,200.00 CDN,

(around $960.00 USD.). The repair was well done and stable, the guitar plays well and sounds very nice, and as I've come to realize is the best Gibson guitar on the planet.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Remember my Thread a few months ago regarding best Acoustic for $2000.00? I’m still looking…

Meanwhile I stumbled onto this.. It’s only $25,000.00… 

That’s the Jimi Hendrix of acoustic guitars, it’s the best. End of story. Buy it and you can run with the big dogs, and if you don’t you can sit on the porch and piss with the puppies.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

When Gibson gets serious about inlay, nobody does it better. And the SJ-200 is for sure a tone master. I imagine Ren gave it some special magic ala Loar.

It's a beautiful and great sounding guitar. Too fancy for me, but a helluva job I must say.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Sounds like the action is low. A bit 'buzzy' sounding. Too much bling going on too. Not dissimilar to our own uk Monarch really. 

I'd be happier with  a J200 'Peasant' thank you very much. 

I think you would be better suited to the serf model.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

The only step down from there is the slave model (not such a big step either) 

The Merc Indentured Servant Sig Model.

It’s made from knotty sappy pine, with a balsa wood neck for epic mush and lightness. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

hard to beat!

this is a famous guitar. sadly this is a reproduction and not the Paul Bigsby original

ddhtod8ocmtzgn0fywdi.jpg

You could row a boat with that headstock.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I didn’t know you were Jack White? Pics pleeeeeeeease. 

I dont have a pic of it, but here is a video of the actual guitar that I got from the guy demo-ing it here. I put in a the winning bid.  

Cherry has a video of me playing it in a garden. I dont know where that is.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

hard to beat!

this is a famous guitar. sadly this is a reproduction and not the Paul Bigsby original

ddhtod8ocmtzgn0fywdi.jpg

I always liked the looks of the Bigsby. I've got a cheapie version I plan on fixing up to look a little closer.

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

That looks sweet! Thought it was an Elvis Dove but it’s not.. What model?

J45 Custom Ebony. 
Gibson did a run of a few standard models in the theme of a Custom Les Paul

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

J45 Custom Ebony. 

I love the ebony board on my '30 J-45 Rosewood. Nobody knew back then, well I surely didn't, that ebony was to become unique.

That's a beauty, Dave.