Gibson Brands Forums

Going to see Jorma tonight!!

Gilliangirl

He's playing here at the Knox United Church tonight here in Calgary. Unfortunately, I just checked his website and there's a very specific warning about taking pictures so I'd better not attempt it. If the guitars are on the stage before Jorma comes on, I might be able to get pics. We'll see!

This concert was part of a birthday gift from my good friend Craig. We're both Hot Tuna fans!

He's playing here at the Knox United Church tonight here in Calgary. Unfortunately' date=' I just checked his website and there's a very specific warning about taking pictures so I'd better not attempt it. If the guitars are on the stage before Jorma comes on, I might be able to get pics. We'll see!

This concert was part of a birthday gift from my good friend Craig. We're both Hot Tuna fans![/quote']

Here's hoping all the tuna is hot!

Jorma in Calgary! I knew I shouldn't have moved east! :-)

That's an evening to be savoured - I've been to Fur Peace many times for both bass & guitar & did a lot of Tuna tours - taping in the old days before the taping ban. I did the original virtual tour on the ranch website (long since dropped :-(

I think you can take pics under certain restrictions.

"Hot Tuna does not allow flash photography at the shows. Professional cameras are not allowed in the venue unless the persons has valid press credentials or are ok’d prior to the performance by Hot Tuna’s Management at least 48 hours prior to the show. Only the first three songs may be photographed.

Promoter / venue will stop audio / video taping, flash photographers as well as people walking up to the front of the stage and take photos with their phone."

I think you could take a non-flash photo from your seat.

Frank in Toronto

It was absolutely amazing. Jorma's hands just breeze over that fretboard like air. So impressive. His partner was Barry Mitterhoff (sp?) and he was equally talented. He was playing an old Gibson tenor, a mandolin and a Danelectro. The two of them had the audience mesmerized for hours. They kept cracking jokes about our weather (it was snowing, of course). Craig and I got there early and managed to get in the second row. I could have thrown a small paper airplane and hit Jorma, I was so close! I could count the stitches on his buckskin slippers LOL Here's a link to the journal he wrote about the concert. He described us as a good audience. We were pretty tame. There were only 200 tickets sold so it was really intimate. I did not get any decent pictures but the girl beside me did so I'm waiting for an email from her. They forbid picture-taking apparently, but that didn't stop some folks. I was too chicken. I got the stage before they came out. If you ever get the chance to see Jorma, GO! He was playing that Martin that he was gifted, but the new CD, River In Time (which I bought) shows him with a J-50 (I think).

Link to journal of the set list and concert

I tried to get a good shot of the guitars but it was dark in there and my poor cheap little digital just couldn't handle it.

IMG_0777.jpg

I tried to get a good shot of the guitars but it was dark in there and my poor cheap little digital just couldn't handle it.

That's a good enough picture to show that the Martin is not his M-42 David Bromberg model -- the M-42 lacks the bridge inlays, has a bound headstock, and has the old-fashioned logo. A Jorma Kaukonen model prototype, maybe?

-- Bob R

P. S. That was the '59-ish J-50 of Embryonic Journey fame on "River of Time".

Because I farm for living and no longer have any livestock to care for, (except for the barn cats and Ol'Ruby the dog), I get a couple of months where I can make some serious time for "personal development" once the weather turns nasty. And NASTY it did turn........we had serious snow this winter, so along with going a little stir crazy, I also got a little carried away ordering guitar lessons. Instead of building a guitar like I've done in the past, I spent my winter improving my guitar skills by playing along with Jorma on his Homespun tapes. (I also played along with Chris Smither, Rory Block, Keb Mo' and Amos Garrett........those Homespun folks found my number!)

Anyway, all I can say is you lucky little rascal, I bet you had a great time!!!! I would really enjoy getting the chance to see Jorma in a live performance but for now I'll settle for living vicariously through your post!

Jorma puts on a good show. I'm hoping to go see him again myself. He's coming through town here in Portland soon - with Acoustic Hot Tuna (adding Jack Casady to the mix on bass - he's like a Ralph Steadman illustration come to life, how can you go wrong?).

Loudon Wainwright (the 3rd) will be opening. Dead skunk in the middle of the road, anyone?.

All the best,

Guth

I was lucky enough (old enough) to see the Jefferson Airplane on their last tour, the MC for the concert was Michael J. Cavanaugh a local FM DJ who was a friend of mine and who managed to sneak me into the party after the show. Trust me, this was before the "no booze, no drugs" ban that the Fur Peace Ranch enforces now!

It was a very interesting night.

I was lucky enough (old enough) to see the Jefferson Airplane on their last tour' date=' [/quote']

hard to believe that someone is "old enough" to have attended the reunion tour, 20 years ago now.

I flew down to NYC to catch the 2 RCMH shows.

Jack & Jorma did a 3 -4 song acoustic set between Airplane sets 1 & 2 - Gracie would come out & join them on the last song (3rd week in the chelsea IIRC), then remark 'Hot ****in' Tuna!"

The crowd was wild for Tuna & the story goes that the no-sense-of-history Epic record execs said (Hot what? - what's this all about? - or something to that effect) & ended up giving HT a record deal that resulted in the great Pair a Dice Found album.

On another note, while I'm at it & am holding you all in a state of fascination, I also flew down to NYC in late 87 to catch "Acoustic Hot Tuna with special guests Paul Kantner & Papa John Creach" in the old Webster Hall (called something else by then). This series of astonishing concerts led to the 89 reunion of JA, esp. after Gracie became a 'special guest' at a SF show later in this same tour in 88.

It was really something special to have the Tuna acoustic repertoire melding with Kantner's, and seeing Jorma play acoustic lead on the Kantner composition "Have You Seen the Stars Tonight" & realize that Jorma can do anything, and when he does it, he does it with soul & authenticity.

On edit: I didn't put in the *** above - the site did it automatically - shades of "up against the wall fred" :-k

Not that tour! The last tour of the Airplane before Hot Tuna and before Starship.

well that makes me feel better - I didn't think "old enough to be there" should be kicking in yet for the 89 tour (which was, of course, the last "Airplane" tour).

BTW, there were 2 HT albums & several shows prior to that last Airplane 1972 tour.

I can only tell you what I know, based on what I knew at the time (1972), right after they finished the 72' tour they broke up, in 1972 we didn't know they would someday get back together, so it was The Farewell Tour.

To me that would mean that was their last tour, any shows that come after that are "reunions".

How many farewell tours has Streisand and Cher done? Every time their fans think they are seeing them on a farewell tour, what to really is is "a farewell to your money tour".

But this is another topic, I don't want to hijack someone's post.

I can only tell you what I know' date=' based on what I knew at the time (1972), right after they finished the 72' tour they broke up, in 1972 we didn't know they would someday get back together, so it was The Farewell Tour.

To me that would mean that was their last tour, any shows that come after that are "reunions".

How many farewell tours has Streisand and Cher done? Every time their fans think they are seeing them on a farewell tour, what to really is is "a farewell to your money tour".

But this is another topic, I don't want to hijack someone's post. [/quote']

Jaxson, no worries on hijacking.... carry on.... I've got no more to add as the girl who was supposed to send me pics of the concert has not returned my email yet :-( So, carry on chatting!

Archived