Gibson Brands Forums

Slash "Jessica" USA Les Paul

Here's why Gibson should hire me for marketing strategies:

Since the Jessica appears to have the same pickups as the other Slash signatures, chances are the novelty has slightly worn off for people who bought one of those - I'm positive they as well as the Jessica are great guitars (the pickups sound amazing in videos), but even me as a fanboy thinks it's been a bit much Slash stuff lately. Seeing as it's my belief that Gibson will release a Hetfield 1984 Explorer in a year or two, here's what they should have done.

They should not have signed Mustaine. I have nothing but respect for his playing - he took metal rhythm guitar one or three steps further, and in a very musical way. But fanboys of Mustaine - the prospective market - is going to buy a Jackson King V. His golden era was when he played that Jackson, and that will always be foremost in the minds of guitar-playing fans. He's bounced around since his alleged dispute with Jackson - ESP, Dean - and I cannot imagine they sold a whole lot off his name. At premium prices, like for his Gibsons, I'm afraid they won't be a big seller.

Gibson should have saved the resources to either focus on an earlier 1984 Explorer reissue with lots of marketing before embarking on the Slash campaign, or even better, put out a 1984 Explorer with lots of marketing in between the Appetite Amber, November Burst, Victoria and the (limited?) Anaconda Burst, and the release of the Jessica. The new Standards (the 50s/60s) must have revived the company's resources, so slower and steadier would have been a viable option. I believe it would have made a larger profit, and kept the Gibson name in ever higher esteem.

Also, there's people's means to actually buy these guitars to reckon with. I daresay most who bought one of the Standards, maybe even a Slash signature model too, do NOT have the means to spend that kind of money on a guitar again for the foreseeable future.

On 4/16/2024 at 5:08 PM, Pinch said:

Here's why Gibson should hire me for marketing strategies:

Since the Jessica appears to have the same pickups as the other Slash signatures, chances are the novelty has slightly worn off for people who bought one of those - I'm positive they as well as the Jessica are great guitars (the pickups sound amazing in videos), but even me as a fanboy thinks it's been a bit much Slash stuff lately. Seeing as it's my belief that Gibson will release a Hetfield 1984 Explorer in a year or two, here's what they should have done.

They should not have signed Mustaine. I have nothing but respect for his playing - he took metal rhythm guitar one or three steps further, and in a very musical way. But fanboys of Mustaine - the prospective market - is going to buy a Jackson King V. His golden era was when he played that Jackson, and that will always be foremost in the minds of guitar-playing fans. He's bounced around since his alleged dispute with Jackson - ESP, Dean - and I cannot imagine they sold a whole lot off his name. At premium prices, like for his Gibsons, I'm afraid they won't be a big seller.

Gibson should have saved the resources to either focus on an earlier 1984 Explorer reissue with lots of marketing before embarking on the Slash campaign, or even better, put out a 1984 Explorer with lots of marketing in between the Appetite Amber, November Burst, Victoria and the (limited?) Anaconda Burst, and the release of the Jessica. The new Standards (the 50s/60s) must have revived the company's resources, so slower and steadier would have been a viable option. I believe it would have made a larger profit, and kept the Gibson name in ever higher esteem.

Also, there's people's means to actually buy these guitars to reckon with. I daresay most who bought one of the Standards, maybe even a Slash signature model too, do NOT have the means to spend that kind of money on a guitar again for the foreseeable future.

I almost wet my pants reading that.

To much Slash, how dare you!

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I almost wet my pants reading that.

To much Slash, how dare you!

It's possible they should have spread it out over a period of time. What's perplexing to me is why they're only putting out somewhat semi-affordable Slash sigs now? I could be mistaken, but didn't the previous Slash signature models cost like $10K? Or has the value skyrocketed?

I could be way off though, because that's before I found this place. Before, I used to just... play. Didn't even know what a truss rod was. Good times.

51 minutes ago, Pinch said:

It's possible they should have spread it out over a period of time. What's perplexing to me is why they're only putting out somewhat semi-affordable Slash sigs now? I could be mistaken, but didn't the previous Slash signature models cost like $10K? Or has the value skyrocketed?

I could be way off though, because that's before I found this place. Before, I used to just... play. Didn't even know what a truss rod was. Good times.

Of course his EDS-1275 was over 10k and the Firebirds were not cheap either and then the amount and prices of all the LP’s escape me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

So more of a '58 neck carve, apparently, which IIRC is entering baseball bat territory.

Which is confusing to me, because I heard the original was in between a 50s and 60s neck. Well, 58 is numerically, but, you know.

Beautiful top though.

Edited by Pinch

On 4/17/2024 at 2:28 PM, gergopapesz said:

Do we know whether this is a limited series (like 2000 pieces max) or will be available as an ongoing series?

We don't know, but it appears the Victoria was a limited edition? so I would guess this one could be as well.

On 4/26/2024 at 1:58 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Damn I am sick of that stupid top hat. It’s old Slash. Really old. Like Rick Wakeman and his capes.

Slash was doing a Pepsi commercial in the 80s when a lighting/pyrotechnics accident left his scalp badly burned. Since then he had to get the top hat surgically grafted to his head. 

The hat is actually a highly sophisticated piece of technology which keeps slash alive. If you take it off it’s just hamburger meat under there. Just like Darth Vaders suit 

37 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Slash was doing a Pepsi commercial in the 80s when a lighting/pyrotechnics accident left his scalp badly burned. Since then he had to get the top hat surgically grafted to his head. 

The hat is actually a highly sophisticated piece of technology which keeps slash alive. If you take it off it’s just hamburger meat under there. Just like Darth Vaders suit 

I thought that was Michael Jackson?

By the time Michael had his Pepsi accident technology had advanced to the point that the mech-hat was obsolete. They were able to reconstruct MJs scalp using material harvested from a series of rhinoplasties