Gibson Brands Forums

I've been a Gibson Fan for Fifty Years and Counting

Greetings, fellow Gibson enthusiasts,

My Gibson connection began in 1974 when I bought my Cherry SG from a music store in Ogden, Utah. (still have the papers) I was young and traded in an old gaudy looking German made Hofner with three pickups and difficult fretting.  The SG cost $580 in '74 and now might be worth a few dollars more.  After I bought my SG, a suitable amp was needed but I moved and didn't get the amp. The SG stayed in it's case in the closet for almost 30 years never being played. Finally, in 2005 I bought an 100W 2 x12" amp and another guitar from another well known brand. I had to start relearning playing from scratch, build up some callouses on my fingertips, and remember the basic chords.  I slowly progressed and even played the SG occasionally.  My spouse thought my playing was a waste of time but after a long illness she went on to her rewards the year before last leaving me a widower.

Now, with oodles of time on my hands, I could finally give my playing the attention it needed. I found out what the frets beyond the fifth fret were for. In the last few months I have improved in leaps and bounds but still hampered by having no one to practice with in my small eastern Ohio town. I bought a USB condensor Mic and learned I have a basic recording function on my Dell XPS. To date, I've recorded 75 tracks with the first one from Dec. 21, 2023.  I'll probably record more this weekend. I can now sail down the fretboard with ease and hit the highest notes possible. Buoyed by my improvement, I took out a small ad in the local paper seeking others to Jam with. I play very few cover songs/melodies but over the years have come up with about an hour's worth of my own compositions. My goal is to get an ES 335 which has been my dream guitar ever since I saw Jorma Kaukonen playing one in the Jefferson Airplane back in the day. I also saw Noel Gallagher playing one (maybe his was an Epiphone?) and loved the 335 sound. The moral of my story, I suppose is "better late than never".  I'm blessed with good health for my age so I intend to play catch-up from now for as long as I can still play. I seem to be gravitating towards a more active musical path and can thank Gibson for helping me to get there. Basically, I've never heard a well tuned Gibson that I didn't like.  John

• Like 2

I am so sorry for your loss. 

As far as improving your playing, make sure you check out the Gibson App

Noel has played multiple ES models, including a Gibson ES-355 that was recently recreated as a limited run signature model by the folks at Gibson Custom, as well as some Epiphones. We have also done some Epiphone signature models with him, including Epiphone Sheratons and Epiphone Rivieras. I'm not sure if any are currently available or not. I don't see either up on the Epiphone site, but you might get lucky and find one at a dealer if you do a Google search. 

Welcome to the forums, John!

Welcome aboard John.  Sorry to hear about your loss.  I hope you are able to reach your goal of obtaining an ES-335.  Great guitars.  I bought mine almost 20 years ago and if I could only keep one of my guitars, it would be the 335.

6 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I am so sorry for your loss. 

As far as improving your playing, make sure you check out the Gibson App

Noel has played multiple ES models, including a Gibson ES-355 that was recently recreated as a limited run signature model by the folks at Gibson Custom, as well as some Epiphones. We have also done some Epiphone signature models with him, including Epiphone Sheratons and Epiphone Rivieras. I'm not sure if any are currently available or not. I don't see either up on the Epiphone site, but you might get lucky and find one at a dealer if you do a Google search. 

Welcome to the forums, John!

Thank you for your kind words. Phil.  And for the sake of neutrality, I'm just going to call the other kind commenter, "Tex".  I can probably get by with that as I lived for 31 years literally in downtown Fort Worth in on of the last remaining old Victorians in Cowtown. I could literally walk to downtown and down to the Stockyards. That location beckoned to developers too and one property at a time, they are edging out longtime residents, and that  including me and wife.  I know, "TMI",  but I kind of have this feeling that  I could never get tired of talking about guitars. I had an antiques restoration business in Fort Worth and did elaborate finishing work with catalyzed and Pre-Cat lacquers. I had accounts with Starr, Mohawk, and an associate who was a salesman for Lilly Industries which only makes commercial lacquers. He used to get me some exotic stains like "PAD" (Purple Aniline Dye)  I used aniline dyes as well as wipe on and spray-on stains. Wish I could have had an opportunity to redo a sunburst finish on a Gibson.  I'm pretty good with an airbrush sprayer. Again, I feel I'm getting too wordy but I hope to engage in some meaningful dialog in the days ahead as I have countless questions about Gibson guitars, luthier work, finishing, and hearing what's new at Gibson. BTW, my SG's serial number is 208381. Anyone care to take an educated guess about it's "birth=date"?  I think it was determined it was made in Nashvile?  Last, in the interest of transparency, I write articles from time to time for our local newspaper, which I heartily support. I have a BBA in management and was self employed for many years, Now, all I want to do is become a better guitar player. I've done considerable business with a certain Chicago music store. Oh, and most importantly, I'm very close to my female Bearded Dragon Lizard, Redbud. She's living proof that reptiles can openly show affection. I have two pet deer who come up into my back yard mostly at night because I set corn and veggies out for them. They aren't tame nor do I want them to be. Alright, I've rambled on long enough but I feel privileged to be allowed to post here, my thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

• Like 1

I was looking at 335's when I discovered (and bought) the U.S.A. Custom Shop 339. It was my #1 for the last few years I gigged electrics before going all acoustic.

I never got to own a 335.

I was robbed...

17 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Yeah, Bearded Dragons are great little guys.

Enjoy your SG and hope you find the 335 you want.

Thanks, Steve, Redbud has kept the loneliness from forced widowhood from becoming overwhelming.  I feel that life has given me the soul now I needed to get into Blues and Gibson's got that covered too.  The ES 335 will have to wait but then the things that you patiently have to wait for mean more later on than something acquired impulsively. I'm really on the fence about trading in my SG for a 335 but the old guitar is a bit stiff to play (it sat upright in the closet in its case for over 30 years) so maybe someone else could help it to limber up a little. It's still has a very sweet Gibson sound with or without distortion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Murph said:

I was looking at 335's when I discovered (and bought) the U.S.A. Custom Shop 339. It was my #1 for the last few years I gigged electrics before going all acoustic.

I never got to own a 335.

I was robbed...

Murph, I see where the 339 is designed to be lighter and slightly smaller than a 335 but at least price wise, looks to be in the same price range as it's older brother. I would have to have a side by side sound comparison to hear any differences between the two models.  Your mention of feeling "robbed" by not having a 335 suggests there is a sonic difference between the two models.  Since this would likely be my last major guitar purchase, making a mistake would almost be tragic so, as always is the case when it's something you've been wishing for, choose carefully. and I will.  Acoustics are a different animal- I know that Gibson has made some really good ones and I was privileged to play (it was loaned to me) an early 1960's "Jumbo" sunburst with a thin factory electric pickup between the bridge and the sound hole. It had the nicest deep Bass resonance of any guitar I've ever played but I only got to play it  for a week when I was  a mere lad of 19 years old.  I will forever judge all other acoustics by that sound quality.