Gibson Brands Forums

Really need some feedback on my Special

Always_Black

By now, most of you realize I am a black-guitar freak. This has served me quite well....'til now. I received the all-black Songwriter Special for Christmas. When I saw this model available at GC, I was all hyped ! A Songwriter - AND Black !? That's me all over it.

Since the excitement of its arrival has passed, and I am getting down to knowing the guitar. It is certainly the most beautiful all-black iteration I have in my collection. And, the playability and tone is all Songwriter and Gibson, respectively.

The thing is, I cannot help but feeling I have a lesser Gibson - if there is such a thing. The Modern Classics have binding at the top and bottom - the special has a sort of "afterthought" pin stripe on the top at the outer edge. Also, all Modern Classics have a bone nut and Tusq saddle and bridge pins. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the nut, saddle, and bridge pins are plastic - not even the man-made, ultra-resonating ivory Tusq.

I have negotiated with GC an even swap for a Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway Modern Classic (you guys do the math).

Since the return label has not yet arrived, I am having second thoughts. I love black guitars. This Songwriter has nothing functional, looks, or sound wise wrong with it.....just not sure if it is a lesser Gibson or a future collectible (Gibson does not recognize the Specials in their official product line that I can tell).

I heard that the Specials are marketing goofs - that is, an idea for a guitar that is tested in the marketplace, found not to be a winner, and then sold as an exclusive to GC and MF.

I am pretty certain I am going to do the deal, since the Deluxe Cutaway is the REAL THING (ebony fretboard and bridge, tusq saddle, pins, bone nut......)

I guess I'll have to change my signature to ".....if it ain't black,....it must be, well, Songwriter antique finish...."

Feedback please, my wise and faithful brothers.......

I'm not so wise, but I am faithful. If you like the guitar for what it is, why not keep it? You can change out the pins, saddle, nut, although I think all that stuff is most likely "good enough." On the other hand, if you will always look at it as the guitar you didn't get, you might as well bail now and get what you really want.

I don't know about the marketing "goofs," but that would have little bearing on anything in my mind. Who cares if the model is unsuccessful? Wish I had bought up all the Modernes, Explorers, and early LPs that were so disappointing to Gibson's marketers. As to predicting collectability, that is like picking stock market winners.

So...why not wait and see the new replacement, and if it sings to you, go for it? You might not like it at all compared to what you have, or you may have to have it!

I've never heard the "marketing goof" story. But I do know that places like GC will order special models, which are produced just for them to sell. These models are sometimes stripped down versions of the real deal. They're still a real Gibson, but they may have cut a few corners on the features. As far as the nut and saddle, to my knowledge, the only thing that Gibson uses is either Tusq or bone. The do use plastic pins, though. Unless GC altered it after they received it from the factory, it's probably a Tusq or bone saddle. If it has a pick up, then it's most likely Tusq.

By now' date=' most of you realize I am a black-guitar freak. This has served me quite well....'til now. I received the all-black Songwriter Special for Christmas. When I saw this model available at GC, I was all hyped ! A Songwriter - AND Black !? That's me all over it.

,etc. etc. snipped>

Feedback please, my wise and faithful brothers.......[/quote']

"If it makes you happy, it can't be that ba-a-a-a-d....." =P~

Fred

One vendor I talked to directly told me that the sunbursts and solid colors were often used to cover "blemishes" in the top wood that would not look good natural. He thought that the blems did nothing to deminish the sound quality. But interesting take on why tops are done this way......

One vendor I talked to directly told me that the sunbursts and solid colors were often used to cover "blemishes" in the top wood that would not look good natural. He thought that the blems did nothing to deminish the sound quality. But interesting take on why tops are done this way......

This used to be the case in the past, say up thru the 1940s, and then again in the 1970s, when there seemed to be more black-finished guitars coming through.

Today, I suspect that does not occur as a general rule, or if it does, it may be to a very diminished degree.

In any event, you are correct in the observation about "blemished top does not equal impaired sound" -- that's simply not the case.

Fred

All that really matters is how you feel about the guitar's playability and tone. The swap you arranged would be my choice - but that's only because I prefer rosewood to maple. It's really about what makes you happy. Follow your instincts and don't look back. Either way you'll have a very fine guitar! =P~

I really like the look of the Specials. I would definitely like to get my hands on one and try it out. MF and GC order runs of specially built guitars from Gibson. The Hummingbird Artists were sold exclusively by GC and a lot of people loved them. I played one there and really like it too, when I went back to look at it again it was gone! One thing you might not know, the electronics on the Deluxe Cutaway are in the side of the upper bout. I don't like holes cut into the sides of my guitars. I'm pretty sure the special has the L.R. Baggs Element System with the volume control inside the sound hole.

Why not go ahead with the swap and get the better valued Songwriter. Then save and purchase the black one. I just spoke with an assistant at GC

(Kari: Hi, my name is Kari. How may I help you?

Charles: Is the Black Gibson Acoustic Songwriter Special Acoustic-Electric Guitar only available for a limited time?

Kari: I think so.

Charles: Do you know about how long it will be available, and how can I get that information if you don't know?

Kari: You could call into the 1-888 number.

Charles: The 1-866-498-7882 GC number?

Kari: Yes.

Charles: Thank you...)

When I spoke with Issac at GC he said that it was only available for a limited time, and that would be when they sold what they have in stock. 57 on hand and 2 on order. The only other info avail would have to come from Gibson. (I wonder how much info Gibson would give you if it is not even listed on their website) How many are they producing? That kind of thing. I did ask if he thought it would be available for 6 mths and he said yes.

I just wrote MF and will post the responce when they reply

If you have the time to save for this guitar, you'll be ahead and you'll have both awesome instruments.

And I like your decision......don't forget to buy the ticket....

I know from "my" experience, I would get the color I want--forget the saddle, nut etc--easy swaps later on. I would also pay no mind to why a guitar is a special sale either. I have a Blue Gospel--which yes, never really caught on. But I could sell that guitar "in a minute" if I wanted to. I expect it will be the same with your black SWD.

I was really wanting one of these guitars (i love that it is unique and the black looks wonderful with the albalone) but now i'm a little scared about paying 1600 for a guitar that is just a "cheaper copy". Does it sound any different than the deluxe? what are some of the differences between the special and the deluxe that they don't already list? Do you think it is okay to still go ahead with this model? This was my dream guitar (except neck binding would have been nice) but i don't want to pay that much if it isn't "the real deal". my other guitar is a les paul worn mahogany which is also a gc and mf exclusive and i love it (more than the regulars). so is it the same with this model? any more pictures and feedback would help. also any comments about the pickups would be nice, i like that there isn't a hole bored into the side but i just wanted to know about the pickups anyway. thanks.

I was really wanting one of these guitars (i love that it is unique and the black looks wonderful with the albalone) but now i'm a little scared about paying 1600 for a guitar that is just a "cheaper copy". Does it sound any different than the deluxe? what are some of the differences between the special and the deluxe that they don't already list? Do you think it is okay to still go ahead with this model? This was my dream guitar (except neck binding would have been nice) but i don't want to pay that much if it isn't "the real deal". my other guitar is a les paul worn mahogany which is also a gc and mf exclusive and i love it (more than the regulars). so is it the same with this model? any more pictures and feedback would help. also any comments about the pickups would be nice' date=' i like that there isn't a hole bored into the side but i just wanted to know about the pickups anyway. thanks.[/quote']

Harmonicchaos,

Don't interpret my emotions to equal quality or characteristics of the guitar. The Songwriter Special is exactly what it is....a Songwriter Special. It is Not a Deluxe or the Deluxe Cutaway in which I fell in love. It is however, all Gibson AND all Songwriter. It plays wonderfully...very similiar to the Deluxe in how it "plays itself." The sound is pretty much dead on with the Deluxe, but louder. As for it's looks....stunning - just how an all black guitar should be.

It just is not what I thought it would be. I had pre-conceived notions of it being a deluxe cutaway, but in an all glorious black. What I got was an all glorious black Songwriter. Period. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Maybe I was ready to move to other colors/finishes for a change or maybe it was just that I truly wanted a Deluxe Cutaway. So, that's what I am getting.

As for the differences from a deluxe: floret inlays vs. parallelogram, rosewood fretboard and bridge vs. ebony, pin stripe on top at outer edge vs. 6-ply binding.

As for the electronics: Modern Classic electronics as far as I know, but no eq or tuner built in (some like this, some don't). I did not have the guitar long enough to test it through an amp, but I am sure it works as well as any other Modern Classic.

I will download the pics from my camera and post them later tonight for you. Hope this helps. Very nice guitar....I will get one again along with a J-180 EC for my all-black-guitar-wall sometime in the future.......

Update............ I finally got the responce from MF...

Customer (Charles) - 01/06/2008 03:49 PM Is the Black Gibson Acoustic Songwriter Special Acoustic-Electric Guitar available only for a limited time? If so, how long will it be available? If it is while supplies last, what do you have on hand and on order? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Response (Josh) - 01/13/2008 05:46 PM Thank you for your recent inquiry.We have a decent amount of these guitars in stock at the moment. We are expecting more in, but I have been getting a lot of questions about this guitar being discontinued or limited, so something must be going on with them. Jump on it while you still can. Please feel free to contact us if you have any more questions or concerns. We appreciate you choosing Musician's Friend. 1-800-391-8762

• 4 weeks later...
btw what was the wood combo for the special? i've read it was maple' date=' sapele and mahogany! which is it?[/quote']

The backs and sides are sapele (African Mahogany). From what I understand, it is a readily available wood - no tree-hugger issues to speak of.

The top is Sitka.

The special feels substantially lighter than the deluxe, as it should because of its composition. The sound is very unique and distinctively different from the Deluxe.

I WILL own one again !

i it isn't too much trouble could you elaborate on the sound difference between the special and the deluxe. how does the projection, highs, mids, and lows compare? i thought the deluxe sounded just about perfect and now i'm wondering if i should just try to ante up the extra 500 when i get the money. i like the color, uniqueness, price, and soundhole electronics of the special but i like the binding, higher quality materials (?), website recognition, and possibly the wood combo. i can't try the special to compare the sound of the rosewood/ebony vs. mahogany/rosewood but i like the ebony look better than the rosewood. these aren't cheap guitars so i don't want to regret not getting the other guitar later on and i can't afford both so i want to research this well.

thanks always_black for all of your help!

btw in your first post you made it seem like mf gave you the deluxe for the same price as the special?! (1700.00?)

i it isn't too much trouble could you elaborate on the sound difference between the special and the deluxe. how does the projection' date=' highs, mids, and lows compare? i thought the deluxe sounded just about perfect and now i'm wondering if i should just try to ante up the extra 500 when i get the money. i like the color, uniqueness, price, and soundhole electronics of the special but i like the binding, higher quality materials (?), website recognition, and possibly the wood combo. i can't try the special to compare the sound of the rosewood/ebony vs. mahogany/rosewood but i like the ebony look better than the rosewood. these aren't cheap guitars so i don't want to regret not getting the other guitar later on and i can't afford both so i want to research this well.

thanks always_black for all of your help!

btw in your first post you made it seem like mf gave you the deluxe for the same price as the special?! (1700.00?)[/quote']

The Special plays more like a J-45 than a Songwriter. Now, take that with a grain of salt ! I say this, because the special is neither a J-45 nor a "Songwriter." Okay, now that I have you fully confused....

The Special will respond to single note pronunciations with great assertion very similar as a J-45. To clarify a little further, if you want to get bluesy, both in single note runs and muted riffs, she responds. Then, if you want to get full sound strumming with full range from lows to highs, she responds like a Songwriter, but with a clarity all her own. That is, the mahogany produces a sustain in the range very different from the rosewood of the Deluxe.

As for the finish, well, you know my story. I thought I was getting something a little different than what was actually delivered. I thought the binding would be there, but it wasn't. This led me to start "nit-picking" the things that were "missing" rather than recognize the guitar for what it was.

I am an Always Black guitar freak. The closest I had ever come to a non-all-black guitar was my J-45. So, swapping out for the Deluxe was really HUGE for me. All things considered, I won't trade my Deluxe for anything right now. But, I am GASN for another Special and another J-45, since I miss it so much.

Take them one at a time. Eventually, you will collect just about all the ones you want. You sound like the Special really interests you. I would go for it ! It is a very impressive guitar visually and it plays and sounds wonderfully.

As for the swap-out with GC and the costs.....I have been sworn to secrecy with some very stiff penalities should I talk !

since the special is a limited run i'm leaning towards trying to get it if i have the chance. i can alway try to get the deluxe later since it is a normal run and not limited. i love the sound of the j-45 and the deluxe and anything that combines that has got to be a winner!

alas my quest for neck binding is foiled!

btw maybe that secret deal you got from guitar center will work for me also if i get the guitar

:D

I was always told never to buy a black acoustic guitar because knowing it will be painted, the wood selections don't have to be so good. Maybe this is true, maybe it is nonsense.

Still, a guitar should always be purchased with the ears. If the guitar sounds great and you are happy with it, who cares what kind of binding, saddle, nut or bridge pins are on it?

You sound happy with the guitar. You convey real enthusiasm and real zeal for the instrument. Why pick it apart? What will you gain?

Archived