Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON ES 335 Volume Control Issue

Hello fellows, 

have recently bought my first Les Paul Gibson es 335, however, my Volume control doesn't seem to increase or reduce the volume of the sound, it rather acts as a switch, where when tuned at level 1, it releases its maximum volume all the way to maximum level. And when below level 1 it turns the guitar sound off. Is that a knob problem or i am setting it wrongly. I am tempted to return it to the shop, but i really like this design.

335 wiring is a pain as it’s installed through the F holes (the reason they’re called that) 😂

just bring it to the shop they should be able to fix/replace the volume control 

btw watch out you don’t have the pickup selector in the middle position 

both volume controls effect volume of guitar 

4 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

335 wiring is a pain as it’s installed through the F holes (the reason they’re called that) 😂

just bring it to the shop they should be able to fix/replace the volume control 

Exactly. The lady I used to take my guitars to for work said, once you handed over an ES guitar to me, and I started working on it. It was at least 250 bucks minimum as a starting point no matter what I did, because they’re a pain.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 4/10/2024 at 12:54 PM, Eracer_Team said:

yes!

THIS!  

In the middle position this will "blend" both pickups with the volume (and tone overall tone setting) favoring the pickup that is not being turned down.

Before doing anything just test each volume pot separately (Neck/Bridge) with the switch either on Neck OR on Bridge setting.  Never test in the middle, it will do exactly what you are describing and that is exactly correct and how they are wired.