Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Lucille

Hey folks, it happened, we’ve been dragged over to the dark side and this came home with us.  It’s a 2006, grungy, cosmetically banged up, but works perfect. Priced less than one of the acoustic/electric hybrids we were looking at to dip our toe into electric.  Not a museum piece, and that’s about our speed since I barely remember how to plug in.   Despite the scary comments from the naysayers the varitone is really fun, but we spent a good amount of time studying what it does and doesn’t do. The tone scoops (which I think is what some folks are calling the tone suck) make for some cool tones when dialed in with the amp.  Way more guitar than we know what to do with right now but we expect to grow into it.  Kinda like getting a Ferrari right after passing your driving exam.   😄 

hIlaeUI.jpg

46bGBFD.jpg

F5m7d86.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Wow.. nice! Really doesn’t look banged up at all in the pics 

There are a couple deeper scratches on the front, some light finish wear that shows where the an owner liked to hang out up in the cutaways, and the gilding on the pups and bridge and tuner buttons is a bit sad, and no papers, so it’s out of the “collector” market.  Strictly a player but for hundreds less than a J-45 Standard so we’re feeling pretty good about it.    

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The only thing that I disliked about my B.B. King is I do not like gold hardware.

Yeah, flashy when new, but sure can look sad when they get on in years.  We might pop for new covers at some point.  I was going to say, from our research your red one was one of the “special” models… I don’t think many of them were made.  I did like the look of yours.  Ours just has a standard serial number, not even one of the CS or signature ones.  

Just now, PrairieDog said:

Yeah, flashy when new, but sure can look sad when they get on in years.  We might pop for new covers at some point.  I was going to say, from our research your red one was one of the “special” models… I don’t think many of them were made.  I did like the look of yours.  Ours just has a standard serial number, not even one of the CS or signature ones.  

Mine was not special. A few years after I got mine, Gibson decided to do the Gem collection, where they made a white one, a red, a purple, a green one, all after Gems and stuff. Mine came before that.

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Mine was not special. A few years after I got mine, Gibson decided to do the Gem collection, where they made a white one, a red, a purple, a green one, all after Gems and stuff. Mine came before that.

Didn't yours have the bb kingh with the crown in the middle? I thought that was the special birthday issue? Geeze, it is so hard to figure out all the lineages. 

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Didn't yours have the bb kingh with the crown in the middle? I thought that was the special birthday issue? Geeze, it is so hard to figure out all the lineages. 

Yes, but I think Gibson cranked those out as a production model. I don’t think it’s a special run. Mine was a ‘09 or a ‘10.

• Like 1

Steve Ford has a red one too. I’ve seen pics, but I can’t remember if his says BB or Lucille on the head. It was the best electric I ever owned.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Well gosh, just finished up its “welcome home” polish, and wow!  I knew it was grungy, but a lot of what looked like wear/scratches was just schmutz.   Even the beans polished back up nice.  Not glass-case-feel-guilty playing it perfect, but sincerely less cooty/distressed looking! Still gotta get to the fretboard, but huffed too much guitar polish, so gotta take a break.  But I have high hopes I’m gonna have the same results there, which will really spiff her up.  

• Like 1

Wow, that’s purty! Do you know what year? I see you have the stereo plugs too.  I guess they changed to a single jack at some point?  My 2006 has a black case with BB King stenciled on… but it’s pretty rough too.  Even a replaced handle.  

• Like 1

I believe it's a 2003.  Monster neck on these things, Mr. King must have had giant hands.

I don't know when or if they went to mono, I never really kept up on them.

I did have the first year when there was a  regular and a DeLuxe.  I went with the DeLuxe and it had these little flip out handles in the tuners and, I believe, diamond shaped strap buttons so it wouldn't fall off the strap so easily.

I  bought the red one used, I assume the case is original but I wouldn't swear to it.  Pink interior with the Shroud of Gibson.  

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Mine has 2 jacks as well. I played it in stereo maybe twice when I had it.

The Varitone I left on position 1 aka bypassed.

I was fooling around and kinda like 2 and 3. Right now, just to get started we are playing through the gimmicky Fender T-25 with all the preset tone modeling.  “But I WANT to stomp on pedals!” 😆 It was super cheap and we are just playing through one of the open channels with no modifications to get used to the guitar.  There are some kinda fun channels, and some dark spaces that are luring me back to my head banger days 😁 Still, I am looking forward to getting a nice old tube amp worthy of the guitar.  

Edited by PrairieDog

5 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I was fooling around and kinda like 2 and 3. Right now, just to get started we are playing through the gimmicky Fender T-25 with all the preset tone modeling.  “But I WANT to stomp on pedals!” 😆 It was super cheap and we are just playing through one of the open channels with no modifications to get used to the guitar.  There are some kinda fun channels, and some dark spaces that are luring me back to my head banger days 😁 Still, I am looking forward to getting a nice old tube amp worthy of the guitar.  

As the numbers go up it gets more nastily.

44 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Zappa is the king of nasal guitar sounds though and he literally had a huge nose

His nose was big. So a SG  and a fake SG (70’s), and a LP (early 80’s) is nasally? At end he played a custom yellow Strat shaped guitar. Frank customized all his stuff.

Man why do I bother listening to him. That’s it I’m getting on Amazon and buying all Taylor’s stuff.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

I should mention I only call it the Tone Suck Device because I read an article that said it sucked the tone out and that struck me as funny.

If I was in charge of Gibson I'd offer the VariTone as an option on all of the models.

You think you sound bad now?  Wait until you activate our patented Tone Suck Device!

It makes guitars more fun to play, you can get a lot of different sounds out of them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I should mention I only call it the Tone Suck Device because I read an article that said it sucked the tone out and that struck me as funny.

If I was in charge of Gibson I'd offer the VariTone as an option on all of the models.

You think you sound bad now?  Wait until you activate our patented Tone Suck Device!

It makes guitars more fun to play, you can get a lot of different sounds out of them.

I get it, it can be a hoot! 

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

In the 70's I had 2 L6s, they had the varitone.  I liked it.

rct

• Like 2