Gibson Brands Forums

Hi I am Andy and I live in London UK.

Hello guys and thank you for allowing me to join your group . I am 70 years old and am learning to play the electric Guitar. I started when I was 65 but was forced to give up lessons due to the pandemic and I have just recently restarted lessons. My wife bought me a Mexican Stratocaster to learn on, because I had always told her that in 1970 i went to the Isle of Wight Festival.   I saw a great many top bands that weekend but the one the made the biggest impact on me was the late great jimmy Hendrix, who died a few weeks later in the September.   

I have also had an Electric Guitar up in the loft (attic) since the early 1970`s. I brought it down and I intend too get it looked at by a Luthier to see if it is OK It has the original strings on it but it tuned up nicely. 

This is a 1967 Gibson ES330  but has no pickguard on it, i don`t remember if it was on when I was given it all those years ago. I  would enclose photos of the Gibson but just one photo it said was more than the 500 KB. 

Hi

I also llive in the UK (SE), am 70 in June and was there that night too, to see Jimi.

It waas freezing cold and windy by the time he came on.

Your 1967 ES-330 will be worth ££££ now!

To post photos here you have to join an image-sharing website (free - Imgur, Postimage, etc) and upload your photos to that. Then when you want to put one in, you copy the 'Direct Link' code it gives you on the site and paste that in.

Best wishes!

13 hours ago, jdgm said:

Hi

I also llive in the UK (SE), am 70 in June and was there that night too, to see Jimi.

It waas freezing cold and windy by the time he came on.

Your 1967 ES-330 will be worth ££££ now!

To post photos here you have to join an image-sharing website (free - Imgur, Postimage, etc) and upload your photos to that. Then when you want to put one in, you copy the 'Direct Link' code it gives you on the site and paste that in.

Best wishes!

Hello Mate,  Yes It was that performance by Hendrix that gave me a lifelong love of the electric guitar. I was very lucky as a young man, I traveled the world and saw many brilliant musicians.       I was a motorcycle racer based in Amsterdam, as we only raced in the UK in those, days 2 or 3 times a year, like the British GP and the IOM TT.  I am learning to play now on a stratocaster and wish to bring the Gibson into use, but first I have been advised to take it to a reputable Luthier to have it checked out (It has been in the loft of various houses since the early 1970`s) but, to be honest it plays really well even with the strings on it from the 1970`s.  I'm not sure on it`s worth, but to me personally I would rather play it for a while at least.  Thanks for the tip on posting Photos I was rather shocked I could not post one onto the site.  Regards Andy.