Gibson Brands Forums

A dear friend just stopped by and gave me a piece of equipment that I am completely unfamiliar with. He found a very lightly used Arturia Beatstep sequencer at a local resale shop, and bought it for me, ($10 is what he paid).  He knew I have a bunch of MIDI compatible devices (DX-100, DD-5, Alesis keyboard, etc.), and thought I could use it.  Honestly, I'm not sure how to make it work without connecting it to my PC. Ideally, I would like to use it with just my synth/keyboard and my keyboard amp as a sequencer, and possibly with my MIDI drum machines, as a pressure sensitive controller. (My Alesis SR-16 has tiny pressure sensitive pads, and the Beatstep might be a more user friendly controller via MIDI, since the "pads" are larger.) 

Apparently, the authors of the user manual for the Beatstep assume those who purchase this device have a deeper understanding of it's functionality/connectivity than I do. I defiantly have all of the required cabling, but I am at a loss as to how I can integrate it into my existing rig as a sequencer.

Any help would be appreciated, since I have yet to find any web based info to assist me.

de-content-1.jpg

I have actually been looking at stuff like this..  I think you need some midi software to run it.

Its actually amazing what these devices can do.. I recently saw this one and was completely blown away by not only what it can do but the way the software is presented on the little screen with each effect having its own different visual interface..  Really cool. And this video was made 7 years ago.

• Thanks 2

Yeah, you'll need some stuff to make that do anything, and the learning curve is steep.

I'm using a Roland SH-4D for my trips into Deep House arpeggiated sequenced 120BPM goodness.  It is a tough road, but man it is fun and satisfying.  If you like that stuff, that is.

Good luck with it.

rct

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

A dear friend just stopped by and gave me a piece of equipment that I am completely unfamiliar with. He found a very lightly used Arturia Beatstep sequencer at a local resale shop, and bought it for me, ($10 is what he paid).  He knew I have a bunch of MIDI compatible devices (DX-100, DD-5, Alesis keyboard, etc.), and thought I could use it.  Honestly, I'm not sure how to make it work without connecting it to my PC. Ideally, I would like to use it with just my synth/keyboard and my keyboard amp as a sequencer, and possibly with my MIDI drum machines, as a pressure sensitive controller. (My Alesis SR-16 has tiny pressure sensitive pads, and the Beatstep might be a more user friendly controller via MIDI, since the "pads" are larger.) 

Apparently, the authors of the user manual for the Beatstep assume those who purchase this device have a deeper understanding of it's functionality/connectivity than I do. I defiantly have all of the required cabling, but I am at a loss as to how I can integrate it into my existing rig as a sequencer.

Any help would be appreciated, since I have yet to find any web based info to assist me.

How about this?

15 hours ago, Rabs said:

How about this?

Don't laugh, but I do not have a "Smart phone", android or otherwise. I have a 4G LTE flip phone that is capable of utilizing data connectivity/Wi-Fi internet connection, but I only use it as a phone. I already have a 15" android tablet that I connect via Wi-Fi, a darn good laptop that drives my streaming/internet capabilities and general computer work, (which is integrated with my 4K big screen, my 7.2 Atmos/DTS home audio system, and my wireless keyboard/mouse), and two desk tops. I need a $700.00+ phone/computer like I need a hole in my head, and my eyes are too crappy to view their relatively small screens anyway. The same friend who gifted me the sequencer told me yesterday that he has a Chrome book that he no longer uses, and that I can have it. Hopefully I can clean up the hard drive and make it a dedicated interface by downloading the appropriate software.  Technology is making it hard to be a minimalist these days.

Well if you have a tablet its much the same thing (depending on what type you have). But a lot of them run off android so you can use a tablet too.

Nothing wrong with not having a smart phone really. I have one but dont use it in the way most people do. I have hardly any apps. I use it as a phone, a camera and a music playing device mainly.  I have so many people moaning at me about not being on whatsapp its annoying.