Gibson Brands Forums

Real 70's Custom or Not?

max2343

Here is my Sweet 70's Copy by Cortez of a 59 Paul

000_3492.jpg

And

000_3490.jpg

The Binding is usually right on and Follows the Maple Cap on the Guitar and this Copy right where it comes up by the neck joint on the top of the Guitar, from the body upto the neck, goes from thin on the body to thicker up by the neck joint.

Just like a 1959 Gibson.

So this other one in Question. Man I've never seen Anything like that and How could A gibson Employee at Custmer Service look at these photo's and say its real.

What am I missing?

If this piece of 5hit was sawn in half in the first place then its clearly not meant to be!

Regardless if its real or not it's a shed!!

Flight959

Gibson Factory Reject or not (That's just the story that he's telling)

Is it Real? Anyone have photos of a 70's custom to compare neck-Joints?

Gibson Factory Reject or not (That's just the story that he's telling)

Is it Real? Anyone have photos of a 70's custom to compare neck-Joints?

Looking at the headstock I would say real.... Looking at the body and that binding I'd say fake!

Flight959

Looking at the headstock I would say real.... Looking at the body and that binding I'd say fake!

Flight959

I agree. But why would Gibson say it's Real. I'd really like to see some photo's of members 70's custom's to compare

Here is my Sweet 70's Copy by Cortez of a 59 Paul

[And

000_3490.jpg

The Binding is usually right on and Follows the Maple Cap on the Guitar and this Copy right where it comes up by the neck joint on the top of the Guitar' date=' from the body upto the neck, goes from thin on the body to thicker up by the neck joint.

Just like a 1959 Gibson. [/quote']

Original 1959 Gibson would have a consistent thickness of binding all around the guitar, showing the maple top seam at the cut away. I believe the binding followed the maple top in the cut away since 1968, but maybe only since the norlin years.

Really not sure. They say it's a 70's and it's selling for 1559.00. Never seen one like this.

70sgibson.jpg

Even it it is not a fake' date=' if it is a Seventies Les Paul, it is suspect in my book, unless it is highly collectible or an unusually nice guitar. (It is sometimes easy to forget how much junk Gibson made in the Seventies and early-Eighties; it wasn't until the lawsuit over the Aria Pro Series Les Paul copy--which BTW kicked the '70s/early-'80s Les Paul's butt--that Gibson got a handle on making the new-era Les Paul that we have come to love. Fender was even worse back then, with dead spots and fret-buzzes on legions of poorly manufactured, over-priced Strats and Teles. In early 1979, I paid $800+tax for a 1978 Telecaster Deluxe that I later found had finish-check cracks in the black finish and also had several buzzy frets. Today, because of advances in computer-controlled manufacturing, any $550 MIM Telecaster is a far better instrument than that piece of junk for which I paid $800+tax when that was a ton of money for a new guitar. And, let's not forget that the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus is a very impressive instrument for the money. I would take one of those, any day, over my first Les Paul, a P.O.S. 1979 Les Paul Standard.)

In short, unless the above guitar is highly collectible and you are investing, why not just get a slightly used LP Standard from your local Craig's List, or better yet, buy three different color models of the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus? lol

cheers,

--Professor Chaos

The binding on 1952-1960 Gibson Les Paul's is the same thickness all the way around the guitar. The picture you showed is of a newer guitar,the binding gets wider to cover the seam of the maple top ( the maple is thicker close to the neck due to the arched top. On an original 1959 the seam of the mahogany and the maple top was visible at the cut away, close to the neck. Sorry I don't have any pics of any original arch top guitars. My 1958 Les Paul has no binding. Somebody else have some pics of the binding in the cut away of 52 - 60 arch tops ? max2343 you seem to understand it in your own explaination of the picture you posted. Are you just pulling my chain or what?

No cam Dude, I just had a brain fart and didn't understand-ya for a moment. Sorry no pun intended. Ya know I have done a little reading up on the cut a ways on the 50's pauls and it seems I've thought wrong about my beloved Cortez copy and its seems its look-in more like a 68-69 copy.

The 50's les pauls tend to have a strip of binding in the cutaway that follows the contour of the body (I.E. the same thickness all the way around)

While most after that period have a deeper strip of binding that continues down to the line where the guitars maple cap meets its mahogany body/back, as described in this article with these photos as Examples. Top being an 1959 paul and the bottom one is a 1969 paul

000_5941.jpg

So ya through me a Curve there Professor and got me think-in and set me straight on my old copy and the way things really were. What can I say I'm Greek, I always get things backwards First, then I come a round.

Thanx's Man.

Even it it is not a fake' date=' if it is a Seventies Les Paul, it is suspect in my book, unless it is highly collectible or an unusually nice guitar. (It is sometimes easy to forget how much junk Gibson made in the Seventies and early-Eighties; it wasn't until the lawsuit over the Aria Pro Series Les Paul copy--which BTW kicked the '70s/early-'80s Les Paul's butt--that Gibson got a handle on making the new-era Les Paul that we have come to love. Fender was even worse back then, with dead spots and fret-buzzes on legions of poorly manufactured, over-priced Strats and Teles. In early 1979, I paid $800+tax for a 1978 Telecaster Deluxe that I later found had finish-check cracks in the black finish and also had several buzzy frets. Today, because of advances in computer-controlled manufacturing, any $550 MIM Telecaster is a far better instrument than that piece of junk for which I paid $800+tax when that was a ton of money for a new guitar. And, let's not forget that the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus is a very impressive instrument for the money. I would take one of those, any day, over my first Les Paul, a P.O.S. 1979 Les Paul Standard.)

In short, unless the above guitar is highly collectible and you are investing, why not just get a slightly used LP Standard from your local Craig's List, or better yet, buy three different color models of the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus? lol

cheers,

--Professor Chaos

I dont know Professor. I have almost 60 guitars now and want something with a story behind it, that's a pancake body body. Some-thin about those that just sound much, much better to my ears and I let one go a long time ago that I shouldn't have.

I dont know Professor. I have almost 60 guitars now and want something with a story behind it' date=' that's a pancake body body. Some-thin about those that just sound much, much better to my ears and I let one go a long time ago that I shouldn't have.[/quote']

max, it's been sawn in half.....avoid like the plague.

Keep looking for a nice pancake - you will find one.

• 4 weeks later...

The serial as a plate would make think its fake. Gibson stamps the serial number on the back of the headstock. The exception was the Classic which was silkscreened and didn't say made in USA. But its a hard call. The pancake body had a thin sliver of I think maple sandwiched between 2 slabs of Mahogany. Not visible in the pics.

Archived