Gibson Brands Forums

Musically, What are you working on?

I spent part of the afternoon trying to score the lead guitar part to the Judy Collins cover of "Someday soon."

I've tried without success to find the tab for it, so sat and listened to the song, and wrote it out with some success.

But because Buddy Emmonds steel pedal guitar riffs play off against Steven Stills guitar work, my tin ear has trouble has in certain areas discerning the notes when the two instruments overlap, to score the guitar part completely or accurately.

But I'm hoping to get enough of it correct to surprise my teacher and suggest that we play the song at the next student-teacher jam in a few weeks.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I would like one. Or at least a good go on one.  I always imagined it would be difficult but so many players seem to have picked it up quickly. This song is the only one Mick Abrahams ever recorded using one. I found this take. Its not how it appears on the album. That has a better take, but this isn't half bad. 

Niiice! They have such a killer sound!

This message is for DanvillRob, good morning- last year there was a conversation you were involved in about the Bat's in Flight Gison guitar made in 2019.  Gibson made 10.   I was one of the 10 people that was able to get one.  Fast forward to today- I am thinking about listing this guitar on Reverb or Ebay- I apologize for this question- what would be a good asking price?  I am asking you only because it seems you been playing for a while and you only live 90 min from me. 🙂   Thanks Sam - never posted before so I will leave my email-delarosa.s@mcs4kdis.com   Thanks Sam

1 hour ago, Sammythebull said:

This message is for DanvillRob, good morning- last year there was a conversation you were involved in about the Bat's in Flight Gison guitar made in 2019.  Gibson made 10.   I was one of the 10 people that was able to get one.  Fast forward to today- I am thinking about listing this guitar on Reverb or Ebay- I apologize for this question- what would be a good asking price?  I am asking you only because it seems you been playing for a while and you only live 90 min from me. 🙂   Thanks Sam - never posted before so I will leave my email-delarosa.s@mcs4kdis.com   Thanks Sam

Aw geeze, and here I was just was saying we have to swear off any more guitars! 😁 Just out of curiousity, the LP or the acoustic? And here, I’ll tag @DanvillRob to be sure he sees this.  Post some pics!

2 hours ago, Sammythebull said:

I really don't recall the thread on that guitar.....it's a solid-body guitar, right?

Where are you located?

You do need to post some photos...you can list it as a very rare guitar, that might get you a few more bucks for it.

Bob

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I really don't recall the thread on that guitar.....it's a solid-body guitar, right?

Where are you located?

You do need to post some photos...you can list it as a very rare guitar, that might get you a few more bucks for it.

Bob

There were a couple of threads… first when they came out in 2019 and another just a year ago…. I actually saw the solid body at Willies the first time we went there to pick up an old resonator.  I remember being struck by it, but had zero appreciation of what I was looking at.  I was focused on acoustics at that point.  

I just can’t stop thinking about how one of the hollow body versions sure would be a nice complement to my DIF.  PD wanders off humming the old Jazz standard “Night and Day.”

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

There were a couple of threads… first when they came out in 2019 and another just a year ago…. I actually saw the solid body at Willies the first time we went there to pick up an old resonator.  I remember being struck by it, but had zero appreciation of what I was looking at.  I was focused on acoustics at that point.  

I just can’t stop thinking about how one of the hollow body versions sure would be a nice complement to my DIF.  PD wanders off humming the old Jazz standard “Night and Day.”

I gotta go back and look at it again.....as I recall it was a purple guitar, right?    

10 hours ago, Sammythebull said:

Contact Troggley Guitars.  Austin is on YouTube and he specializes in rare limited run Gibsons.  He would be interested.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sammythebull said:

@Sammythebull  still curious, is it the solid or acoustic version? 

On 8/28/2024 at 3:33 PM, RBSinTo said:

I spent part of the afternoon trying to score the lead guitar part to the Judy Collins cover of "Someday soon."

I've tried without success to find the tab for it, so sat and listened to the song, and wrote it out with some success.

But because Buddy Emmonds steel pedal guitar riffs play off against Steven Stills guitar work, my tin ear has trouble has in certain areas discerning the notes when the two instruments overlap, to score the guitar part completely or accurately.

But I'm hoping to get enough of it correct to surprise my teacher and suggest that we play the song at the next student-teacher jam in a few weeks.

RBSinTo

Judy Collins and that song =  two classics collide !      I don't think it would be a problem for your music teacher if your transcription picked up some notes from the slide and missed some from the guitar -  the point is (should be) to get the prevailing melody. G'Luck.

Currently working on an Irish squeeze-box jig  "Joe Derrayne's",  Not hard to play (in the 2nd position). Just hard trying to commit it to memory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Judy Collins and that song =  two classics collide !      I don't think it would be a problem for your music teacher if your transcription picked up some notes from the slide and missed some from the guitar -  the point is (should be) to get the prevailing melody. G'Luck.

Currently working on an Irish squeeze-box jig  "Joe Derrayne's",  Not hard to play (in the 2nd position). Just hard trying to commit it to memory. 

When we traveled Ireland we spent most every night in a pub somewhere.... EVERY pub had GREAT music....as a result, I do about 4 or 5 "Irish Pub Songs"!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Californiaman said:

Contact Troggley Guitars.  Austin is on YouTube and he specializes in rare limited run Gibsons.  He would be interested.

Great info....haven't heard back from Sammy The Bull, (hope it's not the mob hit-guy!)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

FYP.,

My out-of-class efforts are never a "problem" for my teacher. He will be very happy with whatever I've discovered, learned or tried to score, and will always use them a springboard into a teachable moment.

RBSinTo

18 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

FYP.,

My out-of-class efforts are never a "problem" for my teacher. He will be very happy with whatever I've discovered, learned or tried to score, and will always use them a springboard into a teachable moment.

RBSinTo

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."    I think trying to transcribe or score songs is a great way to learn, no matter what the song, or how close you are.  I must confess - I don't try to figure out if it's   3/4  or  6/8,  etc.  I just assume it's 4/4.   Never got that far in my lessons !    G'Luck !!!

My two music buddies & I work hard on singing two and three part harmonies. We find songs where one or two acoustic guitars plus a bass can play along with a vocal line. We seek out the first harmony, then the second harmony. Then we put it together. Our formula is developing well and the amount of time it takes from first try to halfway decent product is diminishing.  We add harmony parts not found in the original recordings . We record & playback for training purposes: brutal but helpful.

Examples:

The Eagles version of Seven Bridges Road is very rewarding when we get it right. Greenday's Good Riddance works well as a duet. Alabama's Dixieland Delight is a lot of fun, though we have no fiddle. Gordon Lightfoot's Second Cup of Coffee and High and Dry with additional harmony passages are a lot of fun . From  Jimmy Buffet we sing  A Pirate Looks At Fort  and Son of a Sailor. CSNY's Find The Cost of Freedom is sweet and solemn, so is Helplessly Hoping.  Amie from Pure Prarie League, with the Falling In and Out of You prelude is amazing when we hit it right.

We are trying to raise the hair on the back of our (red)necks. I'm  already Jonesing for the next session.

All in fun

Now working on "Summer Breeze" by Seals & Crofts.

Pretty much have the arrangement done.... Singing and harmony parts will be a challenge.

As are all the songs I learn these days....I heard it somewhere and it "clicked" with me.

I wonder if people 40/50 years from now will hear "Break My Soul" by Beyonce and think....

"Man!    That song takes me back to my youth!"

• Haha 1