Gibson Brands Forums

Musically, What are you working on?

Hey,, how did I just see this great thread?  You guys are all inspiring as…. well, you know the cuss word 😃

@Larsongs Surf’s up!! That sounded great! The Sea Foam ES is paddling out to catch the wave 😁

City of New Orleans was one of the first songs I tried banging out when I picked up guitar again… I need help 😆

Everyone: Great tunes to learn, great performances made, great writing shared, and great work all around.   

I’m now going back to buckle down on the fifty songs I have loaded in my tabs file, and actually make myself get through one. 

The Texas River Song, and The Grave of Lawrence Jones  are the two I’m closest on, but heck 3 chords and a couple pull offs, it’s sad.  It’s the remembering how to sing and play at the same time.  Used to be second nature, now I’m the opening scene of “The Jerk” trying to clap 😆

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Hey,, how did I just see this great thread?  You guys are all inspiring as…. well, you know the cuss word 😃

@Larsongs Surf’s up!! That sounded great! The Sea Foam ES is paddling out to catch the wave 😁

City of New Orleans was one of the first songs I tried banging out when I picked up guitar again… I need help 😆

Everyone: Great tunes to learn, great performances made, great writing shared, and great work all around.   

I’m now going back to buckle down on the fifty songs I have loaded in my tabs file, and actually make myself get through one. 

The Texas River Song, and The Grave of Lawrence Jones  are the two I’m closest on, but heck 3 chords and a couple pull offs, it’s sad.  It’s the remembering how to sing and play at the same time.  Used to be second nature, now I’m the opening scene of “The Jerk” trying to clap 😆

PrairieDog,

You just saw this thread, because it has been inactive for three months, and had slipped down through three pages of threads until I resurrected it this morning  to note the songs I'm now working on.

I'm glad you find the thread inspiring.

RBSinTo

This is a song my brother wrote called “Poor Boy Pickin’. Recorded by our Band “The Larson Brothers Band”. It is on our recently finished & released Album “The Larson Brothers Band” - “4”.

• Like 2

Great seeing everything going on presently!  Some excellent projects!

I'm not working on anything.
I'm sitting here recovering from CMC Thumb joint surgery.  About 2 weeks in - 10 more to go.   Absolutely forbidden from even thinking about touching a guitar. In 50 plus years of playing I've never had a time when all I could do is look at my guitars. The Dr. was clear that my recovery and hand dexterity is now entirely up to me and how willing I am to cooperate with the therapy and program. He understands how important it is to me. He assures me it'll be a forever fix if I cooperate.  Doing what I can and trusting the Good Lord for the outcome!

Keep up the inspiration!

Brian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, B.T. said:

Great seeing everything going on presently!  Some excellent projects!

I'm not working on anything.
I'm sitting here recovering from CMC Thumb joint surgery.  About 2 weeks in - 10 more to go.   Absolutely forbidden from even thinking about touching a guitar. In 50 plus years of playing I've never had a time when all I could do is look at my guitars. The Dr. was clear that my recovery and hand dexterity is now entirely up to me and how willing I am to cooperate with the therapy and program. He understands how important it is to me. He assures me it'll be a forever fix if I cooperate.  Doing what I can and trusting the Good Lord for the outcome!

Keep up the inspiration!

Brian

Hey, hold on to the program.  Dr. is right! Glad you are ‘being good.’  It must be tough, but all for a happy outcome. Thinking healing thoughts for you. 

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

Thanks Prairie Dog.

I'm documenting everything and will be putting it on YouTube for any other guitarists that are contemplating going through it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, B.T. said:

Thanks Prairie Dog.

I'm documenting everything and will be putting it on YouTube for any other guitarists that are contemplating going through it.

I am very much looking forward to hearing about your experience.  I’m pretty sure it might be on my horizon…. 🫣

I'm not working on anything new, but over the last week I have been working on tightening up the bottom end on my Panama Shaman head (Gibson might consider looking at that now closed down amp). I added a graphic EQ on the front end and it appears to have fix the issue...... killer sounding amp.

I've been learning to play a set worth of Jimmy Buffet songs. Now I already play a bunch of these songs with Steve in our "acoustic" shows. But it's basically him strumming and singing, and me just following along and improvising my own fills and solos. I've never really listened to the original recordings and learned them the "right" way.

We are going to do a full band, Jimmy Buffet Tribute set for an upcoming gig in September. So we want to do the songs close to the original arrangements that Buffet fans are used to hearing. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, saturn said:

I've been learning to play a set worth of Jimmy Buffet songs. Now I already play a bunch of these songs with Steve in our "acoustic" shows. But it's basically him strumming and singing, and me just following along and improvising my own fills and solos. I've never really listened to the original recordings and learned them the "right" way.

We are going to do a full band, Jimmy Buffet Tribute set for an upcoming gig in September. So we want to do the songs close to the original arrangements that Buffet fans are used to hearing. 

An "Emmy-Nominated" record producer recently told me, "If you're a musician and want to make money, you HAVE to be n a "Tribute Band" these days!

Edited by DanvillRob

24 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

And "Emmy-Nominated" record producer recently told me, "If you're a musician and want to make money, you HAVE to be n a "Tribute Band" these days!

And not be so damn loud.

Restaurant  owners / establishments around these parts are very clear that they would prefer no acoustic drums, (which is fine by me). Drummers have always been a sore subject with me as most of them cant play below ff  🤬....... And most of them want nothing to do with electronic kits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

An "Emmy-Nominated" record producer recently told me, "If you're a musician and want to make money, you HAVE to be n a "Tribute Band" these days!

Well, I don't think I could be in an actual Tribute Band.  (Except maybe a Tom Petty 😁).  This is just one set, and a one-time thing.  When we do our normal acoustic gigs, it's not a Buffet tribute or anything. We just sprinkle in about 5 or 6 Buffet songs throughout the sets.

Edited by saturn
additional info

8 hours ago, saturn said:

Well, I don't think I could be in an actual Tribute Band.  (Except maybe a Tom Petty 😁).  This is just one set, and a one-time thing.  When we do our normal acoustic gigs, it's not a Buffet tribute or anything. We just sprinkle in about 5 or 6 Buffet songs throughout the sets.

I think he's right.... I have a friend who is the tour manager and sound tech for The  Tubes...he also tours with a  Pink Floyd Tribute band all over.

The producer is pretty tied into the music scene in the US and England, his name is Alec Palao  and he's with Ace Records in London...he's played with Chocolate Watchband, Beau Brummels, Flamin' Groovies and other bands,(they might have only one remaining founding member....so they're pretty close to tribute bands).

I've been working on older material as well as my own. Jammed with Colin, a guitarist friend this morning. We did Better Move On, Across the Universe, and other period songs. We meet up every Wednesday.

I have also agreed to record an original song for 2 other friends, who want bass & guitar contributions. Their song is called Eldorado. I need to get busy with that. 

My own song Neitzsche's Yard has been knocking around in my head for a few years now. I want to record it but the drums will be difficult. So will the vocal. I want violin on there too. I have a violin, but am not very good with it. Hence it is still in my head instead of on a recording. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

My own song Neitzsche's Yard has been knocking around in my head for a few years now. I want to record it but the drums will be difficult. So will the vocal. I want violin on there too. I have a violin, but am not very good with it. Hence it is still in my head instead of on a recording. 

I, too have a violin, and have been "hackinng" at it for years.

Chris Scruggs (Fabulous Superlatives), says it's a LOT of work to even sound bad on a violin!   (he said "Fiddle", but you know what I mean).

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I, too have a violin, and have been "hackinng" at it for years.

Chris Scruggs (Fabulous Superlatives), says it's a LOT of work to even sound bad on a violin!   (he said "Fiddle", but you know what I mean).

Just trying to hold one half way correct is just about impossible. Correctly is impossible for me.

I’ve been wanting a Pedal Steel Guitar for awhile & have always loved their fantastic sound. Didn’t mean to drift.

Edited by Larsongs

24 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Just trying to hold one half way correct is just about impossible. Correctly is impossible for me.

I’ve been wanting a Pedal Steel Guitar for awhile & have always loved their fantastic sound. Didn’t mean to drift.

This forum is made for drifting!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I would like one. Or at least a good go on one.  I always imagined it would be difficult but so many players seem to have picked it up quickly. This song is the only one Mick Abrahams ever recorded using one. I found this take. Its not how it appears on the album. That has a better take, but this isn't half bad.